Join Early Retirement Today

End snowbirding?
Old 07-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

End snowbirding?

We purchased a place in FL 4 years ago -- 1st year spent 3 months, 2nd 4 months, 3rd 6 months, and last year 7 months. Our home up North is about 60 years old and we're concerned about leaving it empty in the winter months. We winterize the place before leaving and thus far, no problems. However, we are surrounded by very large trees and worry when there is an ice storm. Kids do not check on place very often, but promised they would. Don't have many social networks here now because of us leaving them in the winter. Do you think it would be wise for us to just become permanant Florida residents?
wlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

(I guess each of us would answer this question differently, but really what matters is what you think, not us.)

Some might consider snowbirding to be the ultimate in indecision. I can't possibly imagine why someone would want the worry and hassle of keeping up two single family homes in two different states. One is bad enough!

Now two condos would be easier, I admit, but then that's an awful lot of money just to have the desired outdoor temperature when everything (house, shops, even your car) is climate controlled these days.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

wlaker, have you actually spent much time in Florida during the summer? If not, you might want to spend some time there in July and August before making your decision.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's a decision only you can make. Maybe you sell your home and rent an apartment up North, that takes away some of the worry factor.

Jim
Old 07-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #5

Could you get a Grad student tenant for the school year? What about having a chat with the postman or a neighbor in return for a small stipend to keep an eye on it and notify you should there be an issue? At some point you will want only one property to maintain, the question would be is that now with the depressed real estate prices or a year or two down the road.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe you can keep an eye on the weather there via the local paper online or weather.com, and after a storm remind your kids to check on it soon.

Depending on how your local police force is, you might even be able to tell them you're gone and leave them contact info so they can call you or the kids if they notice a problem.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Administrator

How about splitting the difference and trying Western NC or North GA?
Summer is more tolerable and there is just a little winter.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
How about splitting the difference and trying Western NC or North GA?
Summer is more tolerable and there is just a little winter.
Ah, yes -- they can become "halfbacks."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Ah, yes -- they can become "halfbacks."
We make the trek from Atlanta to the Space Coast Area, we call ourselves "coldbirds".

Jim
Old 07-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
We make the trek from Atlanta to the Space Coast Area, we call ourselves "coldbirds".
Those of us who want to "summer" in cooler climates could be "firebirds," then?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 07-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Those of us who want to "summer" in cooler climates could be "firebirds," then?
Instead of "snow-birds", perhaps those like me who want to live in one state could be called "no-birds".

Old 07-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Or those of us who, like Zig, want to head north/west for the summer but cannot - "singed birds". After 22 days of 100 or higher temps so far this year, my goose is cooked.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlaker View Post
We purchased a place in FL 4 years ago -- 1st year spent 3 months, 2nd 4 months, 3rd 6 months, and last year 7 months. Our home up North is about 60 years old and we're concerned about leaving it empty in the winter months. We winterize the place before leaving and thus far, no problems. However, we are surrounded by very large trees and worry when there is an ice storm. Kids do not check on place very often, but promised they would. Don't have many social networks here now because of us leaving them in the winter. Do you think it would be wise for us to just become permanant Florida residents?
How close are you to the kids? Do you have the means to fly back and forth several times a year to visit? Everyone has a different opinion about weather. I would take a FL summer over a northern winter so i'd say stay down in FL year-round but fly up a couple times in the spring and summer to visit family.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'm a dyed in the wool Northern gal, who lives here all year 'round. I used to enjoy the snow, then hated it due to the commuting. Once I FIREd, I've settled on tolerating it.
I find that I am going out into cold weather less and less because I don't have to.
Long range plan is to relocate to warmer climes completely, for the very reason you give - worrying about the house unoccupied in the winter.
I look at it this way - if I'm going to be housebound due to weather extremes, I'd prefer heat spells over bitter cold and shoveling snow, any day, no contest.
I spent a year in Orlando FL one summer (j/k), and I know what high humid heat is about. I've been in Scottsdale AZ in July. Short of a massive power outtage, you can always find A/C.
The decision is yours of course, and it all depends on how much you can afford to continue maintaining 2 homes. It's about more than money if worrying about the northern home is increasing your stress.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I look at it this way - if I'm going to be housebound due to weather extremes, I'd prefer heat spells over bitter cold and shoveling snow, any day, no contest.
I can see prefering heat spells over cold, or vice versa, (even though most peole live in climate controlled spaces for most of the day). But whereas you shovel snow in cold weather, don't forget that in warm climates you will be mowing the lawn which grows really fast down here.

You can always hire someone to mow (or shovel snow). That is how I intend to deal with snow shoveling in the north, just as I deal with mowing down here.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
You can always hire someone to mow (or shovel snow). That is how I intend to deal with snow shoveling in the north, just as I deal with mowing down here.
My neighbor has offered to use his riding mower on our half acre for $15 per mow. Seems like a bargain except (a) I'm a little paranoid about liability issues and (b) there's nothing green here to mow. There was in May after we had good rains in March and April, but not any more.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Are you going to hire someone to drive you to the store after 6 inches of snow or 1/2 inch of ice?
The reason I think extreme winter is worse than extreme summer is more because of road conditions than temperature.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Are you going to hire someone to drive you to the store after 6 inches of snow or 1/2 inch of ice?
The reason I think extreme winter is worse than extreme summer is more because of road conditions than temperature.
When you're working snow can be a pain, you have to get up early to shovel, take great care driving to avoid an accident, and then get to work on time. When you retire, you can just look out the window at the 'purty snow' until you want to go out. Shovel when you want or wait for it to melt. Someone here made me realize that in a thread a while back.

I lived in FL for 3 years (Lakeland specifically), I wouldn't go back there ever again, but that's only my POV and I realize I'm probably in a minority.

And like everyone said, only the OP can know what to do for him/herself. I wouldn't want to own/maintain two properties - that's money that I could put towards improving my quality of (retirement) life or FI security.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
...Shovel when you want or wait for it to melt.
Um...the melting part never happens at my latitude.

This message was brought to you by the NYS Dept of Tourism.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (980.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
When you retire, you can just look out the window at the 'purty snow' until you want to go out. Shovel when you want or wait for it to melt.
If you wait to go outside until the snow melts then you'll be inside from Thanksgiving until April if you live north of Chicago. Also, around here, if you don't shovel/plow your sidewalk by noon the day after a storm then the city does it and charges you excessively high fees. Also, if you don't plow around your mailbox then you don't get your mail. The mail carrier does not have to deliver your mail if they can't reach your mailbox while in their vehicle.
That said, I agree that in retirement, living in the snow belt wouldn't be nearly as bad without the mandatory daily commute. Shoveling isn't a big deal I just hate driving on the highway in a snow storm.

Tags
florida, snowbird