Join Early Retirement Today

Re: England--Places to See/Things to (beside London)
Old 01-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Portsmouth has been Royal Navy HQ for 800 years. There's an interesting naval museum there and HMS Victory (Nelson's flagship) is anchored there for tours.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oxford, stonehenge, and take a trip to dover early in the day...hop a ferry to calais and have lunch there, ferry back.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Many many thanks to all for the great ideas and sharing your experiences.
I particularly appreciated JJ (Brit) who clued me on the English school holiday. We were all set to make that week our "wandering week"
We will probably do our wandering first and then do the London week.
Keep the great ideas coming.
We are pretty flexible and more into seeing different things than sitting. We are 59/58 and pretty comfortable walking & using public transport. Any further ideas regarding renting a car vs using public transport for doing the country-side appreciated.
Thanks again
Steve
Old 01-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Renting a car is definitely more flexible, but the comment about driving on "the correct side" of the road and narrow roadways lined with cars is well taken.

I've never had a significant accident in the US, but both times I rented cars in the UK I smack off the left hand side mirror on a parked car.

The whole experience of having to set aside almost everything you know regarding where to look during a turn or entering a "roundabout" and which lanes to turn into and out of makes it almost feel like you're learning to drive all over again.

Oh yes, and one other thing. I almost got killed twice looking the wrong way and then stepping out into the road in london. Cars are coming at you from your RIGHT side, not your left.

Unless you hate fish, take one of your meals from any hole in the wall fish and chips place. Do they still serve them rolled up in a big cone of newspaper or did they finally make good on stopping that process due to concerns about using non-food-grade paper as a wrapper? All seemed sort of silly to me. Nothing like strolling around with a huge 'bouquet' of fish and chips.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I lived in London for 2 years. I haven't read all the reommendations in this thread. I like to ramble about and see what I can find. Some places I would recommend are:
Camden town
Hamstead
Out of the way pubs
Fringe theater
South West England - rent a car
Check out Wimbledon if you are in the area just so you can identiify with it when you watch it on TV
Coxwolds
Kings Road Area
Walk along the river
I'm sure I missed a few places-enjoy
Old 01-28-2007, 01:17 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Renting a car is definitely more flexible, but the comment about driving on "the correct side" of the road and narrow roadways lined with cars is well taken.

I've never had a significant accident in the US, but both times I rented cars in the UK I smack off the left hand side mirror on a parked car.

The whole experience of having to set aside almost everything you know regarding where to look during a turn or entering a "roundabout" and which lanes to turn into and out of makes it almost feel like you're learning to drive all over again.

Oh yes, and one other thing. I almost got killed twice looking the wrong way and then stepping out into the road in london. Cars are coming at you from your RIGHT side, not your left.

Unless you hate fish, take one of your meals from any hole in the wall fish and chips place. Do they still serve them rolled up in a big cone of newspaper or did they finally make good on stopping that process due to concerns about using non-food-grade paper as a wrapper? All seemed sort of silly to me. Nothing like strolling around with a huge 'bouquet' of fish and chips.
If you like indian food, the best bet food wise if you don't know the area
is to head to the local indian restaurant
wherever you may be. They are typically very good

car wise, i only had trouble when there were not other cars on the road, my brain fell
back to american mode on occaision w/o the visual cues from the other other moving cars.

i think now a lot of chips places use "food grade" newspaper
Old 01-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

That is absolutely true...england has some of the best indian food on the planet.

However the traditional english food has gotten substantially better and you can now eat quite well at most restaurants. The days of boiled beef and tasteless food are well behind. Which is great...on my first few trips to the old islands you were well advised to order lamb and a baked potato, go to pub for a meat pie, grab fish and chips or eat indian food.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:28 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
However the traditional english food has gotten substantially better and you can now eat quite well at most restaurants. The days of boiled beef and tasteless food are well behind.
I still remember dining at Ardfyllane's in the bustling metropolis of Dunoon, Scotland in the mid-80s.

As we sat in the lounge quaffing various beverages and ordering our multi-course meal, one of us ordered the fish of the day. The waiter paused to dispatch a messenger to the kitchen and a few minutes later we saw an angler heading across the lawn to the loch with a pole in one hand and a creel in the other. Must've been a coincidence but it sure set the tone for the tippers...

I know it's a traditional Scots restaurant because I stayed there on Christmas Day and the kitchen never opened. Later that night I met the desk clerk (who'd also been MIA all day) and asked about meals. His answer was "Aye, sur, you know I've been drunk!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I would point out that scotland <> england. Different matter altogether. Scots eat the haggis and play golf. 'nuff said.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I still remember dining at Ardfyllane's in the bustling metropolis of Dunoon, Scotland in the mid-80s.

As we sat in the lounge quaffing various beverages and ordering our multi-course meal, one of us ordered the fish of the day. The waiter paused to dispatch a messenger to the kitchen and a few minutes later we saw an angler heading across the lawn to the loch with a pole in one hand and a creel in the other. Must've been a coincidence but it sure set the tone for the tippers...
Nords: Now that really dispels any idea that working in the kitchen is
not a "pressure filled job".
Old 01-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #31

It was in the late 70s and I was up in Dunoon over the Highland Games. The piper bands marched off the ferry from early hours and the games went all day. They had a massed band of 1,000+ pipers play Amazing Grace, actually sounded awful, couldn’t synchronize well enough. One scene I still remember was some noise about midnight or 2 AM with the street cleaners cleaning up everything and two paddy wagons, one for locals and one SPs, the Scott police sorting bodies out of the gutter and say to the SP, “Hey, looks like one of yours” and carry it over to the correct van, or the other way around. And by Sunday morning everything was spick & span and you would never know there had been such a party while on your way to church.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
One scene I still remember was some noise about midnight or 2 AM with the street cleaners cleaning up everything and two paddy wagons, one for locals and one SPs, the Scott police sorting bodies out of the gutter and say to the SP, “Hey, looks like one of yours” and carry it over to the correct van, or the other way around.
Yeah, but luckily I don't recall that incident...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote