Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2018, 08:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You should have said yes, then called in and played "elevator music" over the phone. Maybe that would help them understand the concept a bit better.

I was actually out golfing at the times they wanted me to participate... it would have been interesting to dial in but leave my mute button off for them to hear the sounds of my golf playing ("jolly, what do you think of that last point?" "hang on, I'm lining up a putt...").

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2018, 09:38 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I am probably on conference calls 60% of the day, as my team is virtual, all over the world, most of us full-time telecommuters. I can barely stand to talk on the phone after work hours. I detest phone calls now. My 16-year old self would not believe I'd ever say that.

We now have an VIDEO conferencing system, and I absolutely refuse to turn my computer camera on. Some days my calls start at 7 a.m. and non one wants to see that. I just have a head shot photo posted, so they know what I look like.

When I retire in 63 days, I am going to have my camera on for the first time when we have my virtual "retirement party". I am buying a beach scene backdrop to string up behind my computer, and will have on a floppy hat, big sunglasses and an oversized gaudy adult-beverage container.

Good for you! I also did not use my camera for video calls, partly because when I worked from home I didn’t look so good, and also it’s harder to multi-task and actually be productive on a conference call by doing something else if you’re on camera.

Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:17 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I refuse to turn on my videocam during a conference call.
It's just one step closer to an internal exam with a rubber glove.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:50 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

My favorite conference calls were the 5 AM east coast calls so we could participate in a 10 AM London or Paris call.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncaD View Post
The ones I loved best were the pre-conference call conference calls, in which the participants discussed what they were going to say on the upcoming conference call. Those were good times.
When I was at w*rk, there was a guy once who wanted to meet with me before the pre-conference call conference call, so that we were on the same page for the pre-call, leading up to the actual call. I told him to go away...

-BB
Old 06-30-2018, 06:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
My favorite conference calls were the 5 AM east coast calls so we could participate in a 10 AM London or Paris call.
Hmmm, mine were the 10 pm conference calls (Central European Time) so that we could include the folks on both US coasts and in between. Not the most soothing before bedtime activity. :-)

-BB
Old 06-30-2018, 06:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
Hmmm, mine were the 10 pm conference calls (Central European Time) so that we could include the folks on both US coasts and in between. Not the most soothing before bedtime activity. :-)

-BB
You win. I go to bed at 9PM. Even when w*rking, 930 was about it for me. The early mornings were/are a lot easier for me than the late evenings.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:45 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
A conference call is probably better than a meeting because at least you don't have to struggle to look like you're interested and/or want to be there.
You can play bullshit bingo more easily!
Old 06-30-2018, 06:57 AM   #29

Once I was on a skype call with a female colleage (whom I knew well) and was just sitting in my underwear. The camera only showed me from the chest up. But I had to get up get a file in my home office, so I told her I was going to turn off video for a moment. When I sat back down and resumed the video, she asked me why I toggled it off. I told her, "well, sometimes I can't be bothered to put my pants on, so I'm not wearing any today." Her reply: "Yeah, me neither." We both had a laugh over that!

-BB
Old 06-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

https://youtu.be/kNz82r5nyUw

hope the link works, if not look for “conference call in real life” on utube.
Hilarious.

Unfortunately I have been on too many of these.

No more yeah.
Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post

Hilarious.
Thanks for bringing back the memories. That's a great one!

I still do find myself on conference calls from time to time. Thank god video calls haven't caught up to me yet.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post

Hilarious.

Unfortunately I have been on too many of these.

No more yeah.

Very funny. Rings so true. Makes me happy that I’ll never participate in anything like that again.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
For now I am going to jump on a conference call to listen to people talk about nothing productive for an hour.

I was in management for about 8 years, and 11 years ago I made the difficult decision to give up the money and return to hands-on programming. I recently was asked by my boss to attend a meeting of managers to discuss a new project, and 5 minutes in I was having PTSD flashbacks to my old management life. It’ll ultimately delay my RE by a few years, but I’m much happier being on the front lines solving real problems, rather than listening to folks pontificate all day.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:44 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post

-BB
try setting up a conference call for participants in:

east coast US (Boston, NY, Atlanta, Cincinnati), central US (Houston, Chicago), Mountain US (Denver, SLC), West US ( LA, Bay Area, Seattle)
and Anchorage and Europe (UK and Germany, Paris, Belgium) and Ivory Coast and Kenya and Australia!!

(we couldn’t...but fun trying )
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:01 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI_RElater View Post
try setting up a conference call for participants in:

east coast US (Boston, NY, Atlanta, Cincinnati), central US (Houston, Chicago), Mountain US (Denver, SLC), West US ( LA, Bay Area, Seattle)
and Anchorage and Europe (UK and Germany, Paris, Belgium) and Ivory Coast and Kenya and Australia!!

(we couldn’t...but fun trying )
Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner! :-)

-BB
Old 07-02-2018, 07:05 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
I just wanted to write a post to let all of you know what happiness I get from reading the posts on this forum. I am hoping to FIRE next year, but have been reading this forum for 5+ years. It's great to hear about your lives and concerns and fun.

I am sitting here at my desk at w**k now and it is rough. Be happy you all made your dream happen. For now I am going to jump on a conference call to listen to people talk about nothing productive for an hour.
Well if you are down to a year, work shouldn't be too bad. At least it wasn't for me. I knew the finish line was just around the corner so I could put up with most anything. Good luck...
Old 07-02-2018, 08:18 AM   #37

When we were on the west coast they told us we had to come to work early to call into the east coast conference's. When we are on the east coast we have to stay late to include the west coast folks. Not a conference call but when I was working on my MBA I found myself in Sadr City (Baghdad). Team/class meetings were always at 0500. One time I forgot to mute during a rocket attack. My teammates back in San Diego had a new appreciation for the military.

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote