Join Early Retirement Today

Enjoy your moment
Old 06-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Enjoy your moment

I just wanted to write a post to let all of you know what happiness I get from reading the posts on this forum. I am hoping to FIRE next year, but have been reading this forum for 5+ years. It's great to hear about your lives and concerns and fun.

I am sitting here at my desk at w**k now and it is rough. Be happy you all made your dream happen. For now I am going to jump on a conference call to listen to people talk about nothing productive for an hour.
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can't wait til you join us Shabby!!! Best to you.

VW
Old 06-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good Luck

I do remember those kinds of calls!
meetings could be worse, especially with one or two present who just liked to hear themselves talk, endlessly, with no useful conclusion in sight!

Hang in there.
i spent as much of my last year as possible focusing on my co-workers personal lives and providing financial advice/philosophy, when it was asked for only of course. Made the time actually seem productive and i left on good terms with colleagues, some of whom i still socialize with on occasion.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

The ones I loved best were the pre-conference call conference calls, in which the participants discussed what they were going to say on the upcoming conference call. Those were good times.
uncaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #5

Conference calls. I forgot about them. I certainly used to get stuck listening to someone babble on about something I didn't care about and probably wouldn't make a difference. But then I think conference calls are kind of forgetful.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #6

Friday afternoon conference calls on top of it all. Precious. I hope you're in the home office so you can chill with the adult beverage of your choice.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
Conference calls. I forgot about them. I certainly used to get stuck listening to someone babble on about something I didn't care about and probably wouldn't make a difference. But then I think conference calls are kind of forgetful.

That kinda sounds like work in general.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:44 PM   #8

A conference call is probably better than a meeting because at least you don't have to struggle to look like you're interested and/or want to be there.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had 2 different groups on Monday ask me if I could participate on conference calls scheduled for Thursday. I told both groups "sorry, I'm retired after Tuesday". Then they both separately essentially asked "OK... but could you still attend? We could use your input and advice, it would not take long".

Obviously, the concept of "retired" still escapes them.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
A conference call is probably better than a meeting because at least you don't have to struggle to look like you're interested and/or want to be there.
I used to love conference calls when I was out of the office and took them on my cell phone. If they were boring and I was not adding any value (which was frequently), I would hang up and later e-mail everyone that my cell lost the signal.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I had 2 different groups on Monday ask me if I could participate on conference calls scheduled for Thursday. I told both groups "sorry, I'm retired after Tuesday". Then they both separately essentially asked "OK... but could you still attend? We could use your input and advice, it would not take long".

Obviously, the concept of "retired" still escapes them.
You should have said yes, then called in and played "elevator music" over the phone. Maybe that would help them understand the concept a bit better.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I am probably on conference calls 60% of the day, as my team is virtual, all over the world, most of us full-time telecommuters. I can barely stand to talk on the phone after work hours. I detest phone calls now. My 16-year old self would not believe I'd ever say that.

We now have an VIDEO conferencing system, and I absolutely refuse to turn my computer camera on. Some days my calls start at 7 a.m. and non one wants to see that. I just have a head shot photo posted, so they know what I look like.

When I retire in 63 days, I am going to have my camera on for the first time when we have my virtual "retirement party". I am buying a beach scene backdrop to string up behind my computer, and will have on a floppy hat, big sunglasses and an oversized gaudy adult-beverage container.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Shabby.

Actually a conference call was what caused me to pull the trigger a year early.

I was on a rare w*rk from home day and a big client screwed their database up, they did a great job too. After 14 hours on the phone I was done, the leader of the situation was good with me leaving the call. My VP wasn't, he knew nothing about it but had been wound up by a misinformed person. He was a former Marine with a hair trigger and knew how to get his point across, I was an idiot.....

I met with my Fidelity guy a few weeks later and retired at the end of the month. While I didn't explain to my VP how his management style led to my decision to retire at 56, I think he knew. He was only a couple years younger and had no idea that people RE.[emoji12]
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:56 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Shabby - I feel your pain - I remember those work days. When you retire, it will be better than you imagined. Not only will you not have to go to work - the thought of work will never cross your mind.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:01 PM   #15

Hang in there, Shabby!

You brought back a memory of a weekly conference call I had where the folks on the other end were in a conference room and without fail there was someone next to one of the microphones who insisted on continuously shuffling papers. All I ever heard was, "shuffle, shuffle, rattle, crinkle..." One time they all got very quiet until someone said, "Galaxy Boy? You still there? We're waiting for you to answer!" I told them I had already asked them to stop shuffling papers ten times in that one call and I had just given up on following the conversation.

Those were the days. Not good days, but days.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #16

How far do you have to go, Shabby?

I get a lot out of this forum, too. Financial advice has been invaluable.

I've got 1 or 2 years left. I'm PT now.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I had 2 different groups on Monday ask me if I could participate on conference calls scheduled for Thursday. I told both groups "sorry, I'm retired after Tuesday".
I LOVE it! Must have been very satisfying to give that answer!

I had the opposite issue. I was technically still "on the books" using up a couple weeks of vacation when I left. And I was on good terms with all my co-w*rkers. I said they could call me any time. I was sort of "level 2" support for a number of different groups who all expressed concern that I wouldn't be there for to answer questions any more.

But they never called. If I called or stopped by, they did have questions they'd saved up for me, but I was very fortunate that my little corner of MegaCorp had a strong culture of NOT disturbing people on their day off. I guess it carried over into retirement. It was good to make a clean break, but I really wouldn't have minded helping them out now and then.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #18

Conference calls became bearable when internet access became widespread. Not that I wasn't paying attention or anything...

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Thread title is misleading. It's not a moment. It's every moment of retirement I enjoy.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Thread title is misleading. It's not a moment. It's every moment of retirement I enjoy.
'Very true. It's not a moment. It's years.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote