Join Early Retirement Today

enjoying your retirement life?
Old 07-23-2017, 04:09 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

enjoying your retirement life?

Are you enjoying your retirement life?
if you're not yet retired, how do you see your retirement life? what is your plan?
Pat in Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 04:58 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Life on a daily basis has never been better. I have time to see the roses, smell the roses, buy more roses, and grow roses of my own at home and away from home. Thank you dear God!
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:43 AM   #3

Never been better. I have not wanted to go back, even though I was offered, for a single day. Account values are up, more money that I can spend.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:55 AM   #4

I'm only at the start of week #4. The past three weeks? Some of the best in my life!
Old 07-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Absolutely enjoying being retired. Highly recommended.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:21 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been retired for about 10 weeks and love it. With 2 young kids and summer break we have been enjoying a lot of family time/vacations. I haven't spent as much time on my hobbies/projects, but I would rather be playing with my kids than play golf /guitar/etc. The hobbies can wait until they go back to school. Stress levels are way down and enjoying life is way up.
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:22 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Going on seven months for me - and I love it. I am busier than ever, but with things *I* want to do. Freedom to travel more is towards the top of my list.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat in Europe View Post
Yes. Since November 1989. Arguably the best years ever, for life in the United States.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #9

I really doubt you will hear much about retirement that is negative here. After all it is an early retirement site. Only so many ways you can say " I love it". Many previous threads on this. You should check them out.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:42 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yup definitely, once they sort out healthcare for the good of us all it will be Perfect. That is my ONLY worry these days.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #11

Almost 9 months for us, and loving it! Have been able to spend time with every one of our family members who live across the country, plus take a retirement trip to the Virgin Islands for 3 months! Working out a lot more too, although haven't lost weight due to eating out and drinking more often. Need to work on that!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #12

PS - others on this board recommended to me that I just let retirement unfold for me rather than trying to have a detailed plan. I think this is excellent advice!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat in Europe View Post
?
Yes, now I know how a congressman feels.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:58 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Early Retirees share why they Love their Life!!
Financial Advisors hate #7.
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #15

8 months into E.R. for me and 13 months for DW. We are loving it! No regrets and no plans to turn back, either!!
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
PS - others on this board recommended to me that I just let retirement unfold for me rather than trying to have a detailed plan. I think this is excellent advice!
+1 I retired with a vision/framework, but let the details fall into place over time. Some people, however, prefer more structure, and may feel differently.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I have been retired for nearly 9 years. It has been great. After 16 years of full-time work and 7 more of part-time work, I realized that I had to further reduce my weekly hours worked from 12 to zero. I had already built up a good personal life I had recaptured after the full-time work era ended. I was able to expand on it in the last 9 years.

Even some health issues which developed in the last 2 years haven't slowed me down. In fact, being retired at the time meant that I could devote 100% of my time and effort toward making myself well again, something which would have been far more difficult had I been working even part-time.

I was also able to help out my ladyfriend a lot when she suffered a devastating injury 2 years ago, just after I got better from my health issues. Her recovery and getting back to a normal life would have been far more difficult had I still been working, even part-time.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have been at it since 2002. No problem so far. Have made several changes along the way.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #19
Administrator

Hi Pat, welcome to the site.

Why don't you tell us a little about yourself. The survey link you posted in your other thread starter has a country code of Germany, is that where you live?

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1913485
Old 07-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Hi Pat, welcome to the site.

Why don't you tell us a little about yourself. The survey link you posted in your other thread starter has a country code of Germany, is that where you live?

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1913485
Just joined this forum.
Yes living in Germany for some time. Have been thinking about leaving the place I never really like and go for an early retirement.

But where? How? What to do? These are the reasons for a simple survey to get some ideas.
Pat in Europe is offline   Reply With Quote