Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post

I think she thought of me as grandfatherly. (My hair is white...)

Mike D.
I was a career military officer, so I was used to being called "sir". A short while after I retired from the Navy, it occurred to me that since I wasn't wearing a uniform any more, nobody knew who/what I had been. So I was hit with the realization that younger people who called me "sir" were actually saying, "I think you're an old fart." (My hair is pretty gray, heading for white.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2008, 08:58 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
So I was hit with the realization that younger people who called me "sir" were actually saying, "I think you're an old fart." (My hair is pretty gray, heading for white.)
This may not be true. I call every man sir, every woman M'am, if I don't know his/her name. It's like señor in Spanish, or Monsieur in French. I may just mean "I don't know you, and I respect you".

Same in the American South. A man is Sir, a woman M'am- even if they are 30 years old.

Ha

Old 04-16-2008, 06:39 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a story you guys might want to file away for when you are REALLY old! My elderly (83) mother was at the local discount grocery store behind a frail man in his 90's. He paid for his groceries and then lingered while she paid for her few items. He asked her in a rather shaky voice if she would help him out to his car. Now my mother is very spry and very sassy and she flippantly asked him what his problem was. He told her that he had been ill recently and was afraid he would fall on the way out to the car. She asked the best way to help him and he said he had to put his arm around her waist and hold her hand. When they got to his car he said "Fooled you!" and grabbed her and kissed her on the cheek. He yelled "It works every time!".
Old 04-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

My hero...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This may not be true. I call every man sir, every woman M'am, if I don't know his/her name. It's like señor in Spanish, or Monsieur in French. I may just mean "I don't know you, and I respect you".

Same in the American South. A man is Sir, a woman M'am- even if they are 30 years old.

Ha
Ha's right, I was "M'am"ed to death before I was 30! I do miss that old term, "Miss", though.....or I'd even take "young lady" at this point...sigh

When we lived at the beach, DH once stopped to get beer at the local convenience store and a drunk young thing in a bikini came straight up to him and said "my friends left me, I'm drunk, and will you give me a ride back to the house that my sorority rented on front beach?" So of course he gave her a ride, made her put on her seatbelt in his minivan, and waved off the invite from a throng of equally scantily clad coeds to come in for a beer as thanks.
Bless his heart for being so harmless! He was crushed.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Ha's right, I was "M'am"ed to death before I was 30! I do miss that old term, "Miss", though.....or I'd even take "young lady" at this point...sigh
hey Sarah, I've seen you dancing with that that pole. Anybody M'amming you is doing a very nice subtle hustle. We men can be as wiley as you ladies.

You be good now!

Ha