Join Early Retirement Today

Entered Another Stage in Life
Old 04-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Entered Another Stage in Life

When I was young, in the grocery store I would get looked at by women and dismissed because I wasn't good-looking. I was also married and didn't dress well. Then, in middle age, I was looked through, as though I was not even there. Yesterday, I had a new experience. I walked up to pick out celery. There was a young woman there holding up a bunch of green leaf lettuce just dripping water from the irrigation system. I mentioned to her that she should shake off the extra water or she would be paying $3.29 a pound for it. She laughed and said that she never thought of that. I just continued on my way figuring that if I spoke to her any more she would think I was trying to pick her up in the vegetable section. After she made her selection, she came back over to me expressly to say bye and thank me for the tip.

I think she thought of me as grandfatherly. (My hair is white...)

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was eating lunch alone recently and as the pretty young waitress brought my bill, she leaned over to me. I thought boy, she must have something to say that is awfully intimate. She said" I gave you the senior discount".
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I thought boy, she must have something to say that is awfully intimate.
Well, she did!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Being 'old and safe' is really the pits.

I'm thinking here of going Grecian Formula.

Or maybe I should be gratefull there is still some hair up top to worry about.

heh heh heh - .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

My bolt of lightning experience was in a doctor's office. I went and signed in, cute receptionist said, "hi darling" and I said hello. In a few minutes a guy in his 70s came in and she said, "hi darling". A few minutes later a guy around 30 came in and she said, "hello, please sign in". I went home and lay awake that night thinking.....On no, I am now considered completely harmless.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Ah, fellows....bless your heart.

Just remember this...a smart woman will know that if there is snow on the roof, that doesn't necessarily mean there's no fire in the furnace.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Not exactly on topic: I do recall when the old dentist sold his practice, and I realized that I was 10 years older than the 'new' dentist.

He is a very good dentist
Old 04-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

When buying beer at the grocery store 2 weeks ago, I was carded (I'm in my late late 30's, and I think I look my age....) I hadn't been carded in probably 10 years or more. The cashier wasn't amused, though, when I said "Are you kidding?!?!".

Either the cashier has no concept of judging age or it was her way of handing out free compliments.

Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #9

When I used to do some bartending at local outdoor events I learned from the old guys how to prepare the young ladies' drinks.

Put the plastic cup(s) as close to me as possible and pour beer(s).

Make said halter-topped ladies reach as far across the bar as possible.

Enjoy!
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #10

A few years ago I bought a big bag of cat litter at the pet store. The store boy (all of 17 or 18 I guess) asked if he could help me carry it to my car. I said yes since I had a brace on my hand due to a thumb injury.

On the way to the car, he asked me why I had the brace. I explained I had done too much work with my thumbs at work and got tendonitis.

His response:

"Man, that'll probably happen to me someday when I get old. I play a lot of guitar."

I was only 35 at the time.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

You should have broken both his thumbs.

The first time I was called mam...I looked around and realized they were talking to me. I thought I was gonna hurl...

...and that's been several years ago.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by poboy View Post
On no, I am now considered completely harmless.
When I encounter one of those 20-somethings, I give them my smile that says "I know how to do things that you had no idea would feel like that"... oops, did I say that out loud?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

God bless....
Old 04-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I was eating lunch alone recently and as the pretty young waitress brought my bill, she leaned over to me. I thought boy, she must have something to say that is awfully intimate. She said" I gave you the senior discount".
Sweet deal!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #15

Heh. I've just gotten to the point that when someone says "Mr. TickTock", I don't automatically look behind me for my father. I'm 40.

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
When I was young, in the grocery store I would get looked at by women and dismissed because I wasn't good-looking. I was also married and didn't dress well.
Mike D.
Did not even "notice" - much less "dismiss" if you weren't worth the glance! So, I think you had them pegged wrong (they WERE checking you out, but you probably had a ring because you were married - there are phases of adulthood and areas where those things do matter!) So, maybe you are/were hotter than you give yourself credit for! So many people think that since they are not dating someone, or heaven forbid, married, they are not considered "hot" - who are you to determine what someone else deems as HOT? (trust me, I'd love to wake up looking like Catherine Zeta Jones!!...she is what I'd consider HOT,) but there are people out there who think I am hot too! LOL! Hey, ya never know!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:09 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Now that's funny! Thanks for the laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
When I used to do some bartending at local outdoor events I learned from the old guys how to prepare the young ladies' drinks.

Put the plastic cup(s) as close to me as possible and pour beer(s).

Make said halter-topped ladies reach as far across the bar as possible.

Enjoy!
StJohnsWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
When buying beer at the grocery store 2 weeks ago, I was carded (I'm in my late late 30's, and I think I look my age....) I hadn't been carded in probably 10 years or more. The cashier wasn't amused, though, when I said "Are you kidding?!?!".

Either the cashier has no concept of judging age or it was her way of handing out free compliments.

Charlotte
In many places, carding is mandatory. They no longer ask clerks to judge age but rather to card all, even those obviously way over 21. That's the way it is here in Illinois. DW loves it!
Old 04-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

After surfing nineteen years ago (age 35), I went up to a hot dog stand in my wetsuit, and the young girl there said:

"Oh, you're surfing? Good for you!"
Old 04-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
After surfing nineteen years ago (age 35), I went up to a hot dog stand in my wetsuit, and the young girl there said:
"Oh, you're surfing? Good for you!"
When our 15-year-old and I go surfing we've started getting the "Oh, that's your daughter?!? Riiiiight..." comments.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote