ER benefit:  Avoiding the "Starbucks Effect"

Re: ER benefit:  Avoiding the "Starbucks Effect"

The first taste is free. After that, nickle bags are a dime. Step into my big black car...

I'm just pleased peachy that we got all the way through this without anyone mentioning the 'monkey poop' coffee.

Oh @$%#... :p
Is that an improvement on the weasel poop coffee? Maybe the monkeys could be trained to "roast their own", so to speak?

Mmmmm... time for another morning cup. Yummy.

coffee.gif

Nords, before your morning jolt?

Best coffee I ever tasted was the cheap stuff I 'imported' from Ecuador - don't even remember the name, but the taste was phenomenal. Turns out Ecuador had converted most of their coffee plantations to banana plantations 10-20 years earlier, so there wasn't much home grown. When I went shopping in Quito, I asked and they pointed and said expensive and cheap - I was cheap at the time and since I drink it half milk anyway...turns out I wish I'd brought back lots more of the cheap stuff.

Bridget

Is that an improvement on the weasel poop coffee?  
A few months ago, I read an article about civet (poop) coffee and was particularly interested because the setting was the Philippines where I'm from.  I have never had it.  

I grew up making instant coffee for my parents since I was about six, one of my filial duties.  I remember the little glass containers labeled "Blend 45" with plastic lids.  (After they were empty, we used them as drinking glasses).  Back then, I would sometimes make myself a glass (we did not have mugs) of coffee for myself with lots of evaporated milk and sugar.  

Today, I still like my coffee with lots of cream or soymilk and sugar, but I only have it on the weekends.  I've also moved up from instant coffee but no civet coffee for me...although now I might bring a bag back next time I visit the Philippines.

Mrs. Zipper and I always enjoyed Maxwell House first thing in the morning.

........now we've taken the final step up to Folgers! ;)

The best coffee in the world is the free kind :)

Here at work, they supply coffee and I'm the only one in the office who regularly drinks it, so I "get" to make it. And I make it strong!

Starbucks seems to be very popular with high school kids; my daughter begs me to go there constantly. Sometimes I relent, and end up spending about $5.00 per visit. It doesn't break me, but it does strike me as a waste of money. I've noticed that they now have a Starbucks credit card, so now you can charge your way into debt!!

Posted it before...Best coffee is fresh ground coffee. Here is a fun thing to do or a great gift for that java junkie. Buy a cheap coffee bean grinder a about a few ounces of a dozen different whole bean coffees. Buy all different price ranges likely from different stores. Grind enough for a day's use

Find out what you like best...enjoy! Even more fun have someone put the beans in coded containers so you (or the gift recipient) doesnt know whats what except by jar number. At the end of the blind taste test you'll likely find out that your top 3 picks includes an el-cheapo. Its all about the beans, man. Coffee tastes better and you use less of it.

And (according to the very latest study) Its good for you!

Nords, before your morning jolt?
Nah, I'm a morning person anyway. And after 24 years of Navy coffee, Caffeine Blues scared the hell out of me. So I start with a couple cups of green tea (shivering in the 75-degree pre-dawn chill) and only relish a coffee chaser if I have the time before the rest of the family wakes up.

Posted it before...Best coffee is fresh ground coffee.
Even more fun have someone put the beans in coded containers so you (or the gift recipient) doesnt know whats what except by jar number. At the end of the blind taste test you'll likely find out that your top 3 picks includes an el-cheapo. Its all about the beans, man. Coffee tastes better and you use less of it.

And (according to the very latest study) Its good for you!
It's on my list of ways to complicate my daily routine. My FIL swears by fresh grind but he agrees that 30 years with CBS News' coffee has also dulled his taste buds. We'll have to try the blind-taste twist.

A friend is commuting to the Big Island 3 days/week to realize his dream of restarting a small coffee plantation. I'm definitely going to stay in touch with him-- and I wonder if he needs any helpers?

Got together with a good friend from Veracruz earlier today and he brought me a lb. of gran cafe de la parroquia. I won't get the full parroquia experience with the giant antique copper Italian espresso machines and everyone tapping their spoons on their glasses for more hot milk from the ancient waiters. But if I close my eyes I can still picture the breeze blowing the palm trees outside across from the malecon and smell the coffee brewing. Drinking the morning coffee in Veracruz is quite an experience. Same for Kona and Montego Bay.

I have not been to the other places but I do recall Montego Bay. Blue Mountain Coffee, right?
I remember the turtle soup was pretty good also.

JG

Back
Top Bottom