Join Early Retirement Today

ER Date is Set
Old 04-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ER Date is Set

My ER date is now set for May 18.

Management is spinning around trying to come up with a way to cover both of the job I have been doing since December which we be vacant when I leave (my regular job and my boss's job I have been doing on an interim basis).

I believe they will offer me a part time position to help fill the gap. My choice might be to do an open consultant contract so my rate could be higher than if I were to just go part time with the company.

A big part of me just wants to say So Long...but the organization is so thin right now that leaving them cold would create a major problem for the site. I know I should not care; and as far as the Company goes I don't. But, the folks that are still here in the wake of my departure will get creamed with work and loss of very valuable knowledge and skills that are very difficult to replace on short notice.

So....

DW is set.

The RV is nearly road-ready. (alignment and finishing the auxilary braking system for the toad).

The $$$ savings valve is set to engage reverse flow.

The cabin will close next week and a nice chunk of change will be available to lower our expenses by over 30% in the next 4-6 weeks.

I plan on announcing my intentions this week.

It will quite a shock to many.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: ER Date is Set
Old 04-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #2

Good luck to you Steve, I know you've been waiting for this for a long time.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to OkieTexan

Well done, Steve!

I felt so much better after the decisions were made! I hope (bet) you do, too!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieTexan
Well done, Steve!

I felt so much better after the decisions were made! I hope (bet) you do, too!
It is sort of funny in a way. I made the decision to ER at 55 about 15 years ago. Now that it is here it feels very odd to be "standing in the door" waiting to jump. The "official" letter won't go out for a few days and only a tiny number of folks here know it is going to happen. Since no on my staff knows yet they are still treating me like I am going to be here forever. I know once it is public knowledge, there will be some really upset folks around here and many that will see my departure as another "sign" that the company is in trouble (which it is not). I am sure they will start treating me differently than now so it is sort of intersting to note how they are now with how they will be soon.

I guess I am still so involved in the job that it has not hit me yet. Sure I have a date circled on my calendar but it has not taken on any real significance yet...I am sure it will but for now it is just another date in my calendar....a note on the bottom entered right before 7 scheduled meetings for that day.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats, Staeve. I can tell you are still wrapped up in the job - you are worried about how things will be after you leave and thinking about continuing to work, albeit part time.

Sounds like you are all set, though.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #6

Congratulations!!
Old 04-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like you have things going your way...keep it up! Good luck!
Old 04-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Will you be changing your avatar?
Old 04-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Will you be changing your avatar?
Yup!

I will be looking for a more appropriate one.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
My ER date is now set for May 18.
Way to go, Steve. I know it's been a long year for you, and you deserve this well-earned goal.

DW and I were driving back from a quick getaway in the RV for the weekend. She said, "That was really fun." I said, "Yeah, it was. Only wish I didn't have to go back to a 7 am meeting tomorrow." It was kind of whiney for me to say it, but my state of mind is slowly but surely moving there.

All the best and keep us posted.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!

It sounds like you take great pride in your work and are considerate to others.

You now have the luxury of working part time if you choose or doing "nothing". That's what ER is all about.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Way to go, Steve. I know it's been a long year for you, and you deserve this well-earned goal.

DW and I were driving back from a quick getaway in the RV for the weekend. She said, "That was really fun." I said, "Yeah, it was. Only wish I didn't have to go back to a 7 am meeting tomorrow." It was kind of whiney for me to say it, but my state of mind is slowly but surely moving there.

All the best and keep us posted.
I agree.

We spent the weekend at a local RV park that is in the mountains. It was in the mid-20's Friday night but Saturday was very nice but still a bit chilly. We went with another couple who have a Class A and we all had a wonderful time. I hated to pack up and come home. But, we have just extended several of our long distance RV trips from 5 days to 14. We will head south and stay in Vegas for a couple of days at a nice RV park one the west side and then go to the west central Calif. coast for a week then move up the coast to Oregon where we will end up staying near the beach at a resort there. It will still be cold up there but who cares? We live in a cold climate so anything above freezing is like Springtime.

The other trip will take us east through CO, NM, TX, LA, AK, and into east TN for a month. On the way back we will head up through KY, IN, IL, WI, MN, SD, WY and back home. Should take us about 6 weeks in total for that one. After that....who knows?

We have tons of places we want to go and not enough time to do it all! I hope ER does not become another job. 8)
Old 04-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #13

Congratulations Steve, I'm sure you and your spouse are looking forward to being able to spend more time together.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #14

"woohoo"~~homer

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Congrats... You earned it.

Don't look behind you, there is a stampede of more of us approaching the FIRE date over the next several years.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

"The other trip will take us east through CO, NM, TX, LA, AK, and into east TN for a month. On the way back we will head up through KY, IN, IL, WI, MN, SD, WY and back home. Should take us about 6 weeks in total for that one. After that....who knows?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations on ER.......as a longtime fulltime RVer (almost fifteen years), I have only a few words of advice.....

SLOW DOWN

When RVers start to fulltime, they whiz back and forth across the country like truck drivers......you need to get used to the idea of LIVING in your RV, not just "touristing". If you slow down, you'll be amazed at how much more there is to see, people to meet, and tremendous serendipitous things that happen.

We did a loop a few years ago from AZ up into Idaho, then looping down the coast of WA and OR, to catch a plane in southern CA for a family wedding. The wedding deadline made it so that we had only four months to make that loop, and we bitched the whole time about feeling hurried......

At a rest area in northern CA we started talking to an RVer on vacation and it turned out that he had made almost exactly the same loop we had. Just as we were getting ready to start bleating about how we felt so hurried by only having four months to do it, he said, "And, it was really great because we took our time, and had the whole TWO WEEKS to do it in.

So....all things are relative. Needless to say, our comments were left unsaid.

But seriously........take your time......anything less than two or three months to go across the country will mean that an immense number of experiences will be missed. You're going to be retired now.....no need to hurry.

Hope to see you on the road someday......

LooseChickens (at the moment in New Mexico at a National Wildlife Refuge, but headed out toward Phoenix and the bright lights and big city in a couple of weeks)

Old 04-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

P.S. I went back and read your OP, and missed the line about the "cabin", so it looks like you will not be living fulltime in your RV......but the advice is the same.....take your time and travel slowly.

Our best travel days are less than 100 miles.....that gives you time to start at the crack of nine, stop for yard sales and volunteer fire company pancake breakfasts, a nice lunch stop, nap, and a few stops along the way.......

Lots of neat things out here to do, but most folks whiz by much of the interesting stuff on their way to get to their destination.

wherever you go.....there you are......works for us.

LooseChickens
Old 04-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #18

Steve,

Great - it's hoped that this is it until they can find a replacement. If they offered a contract to make the transition, be sure to ask for big $$.

Take care.

Spanky
Old 04-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Congrats. I know I felt good when the date was set.

My retirement party was last Friday. You know what I did today? Went to work. I'm definitely taking off Wednesday and Friday. Next week, work maybe 2 days. Time for my replacement to sink or swim.

Good luck with your retirement!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Steve!

Don't grow too many roots there with part time or contract work if you can help it. Time passes by and it's time for you to move on.

Enjoy!