Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I live between Gainesville and Ocala, and LOVE it. The summers are no worse than I suffered thru up north, and the winters? Well, Ive picked tomatoes on Christmas, so does that tell you anything about the winters? Im about an hour and a half from one of the most beautiful clean quiet beaches you can imagine. Its wonderful.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2011, 06:12 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
If you can afford it, I would skip Florida and choose San Diego. Best year round weather in the continental U.S.
Yup - and not cheap - taxes...income, property (when you buy new you get socked - oh and other taxes for schools, etc), county and sales taxes some of the highest in the country. Yes, you better speak Spanish - parking at the beaches is expensive. Beautiful place - if governance was not what it is right now would be there in a heartbeat...and I've lived in CA (San Diego, LA, Bay Area, Sacramento) for 16 years of my life - San Diego the best. If you are a military retiree, might be worth it if you've got a way to get cheaper housing....

Old 04-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferco View Post
If you were establishing a primary or secondary residence in Florida in ER which city would you choose and why. Which city (cities) would you avoid and why ?
Aside from a network of family and friends, what do you want in your “city of residence”? Your requirements can help narrow the list of candidates.

Regarding residency, there is no specific Florida residency requirement aside from having a Florida address. If you plan to live among two or more states, it’s more a question of not being considered a resident of the other states. There are also no unique taxes for part-time Florida residents, but property owners that are residents of other states do not enjoy homestead property tax protection.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
DH and i recently returned from a 5 day trip to Ft. Myers. We loved it, but this is what we heard. The Lee County housing market is very depressed. You can buy houses at bargain prices, but do have the sheet rock checked out. Many homes have dry wall imported that has very dangerous chemicals. I never did catch on what that entailed, but these were friends who have retired to Boca Raton, so i am guessing they have good info.

I think i would like it there (but, after a 5 day trip, who knows>), tho our friends are ready to move.
You do need to be careful of houses/condos that have been abandonded/foreclosed/left unattended for a long time. Mold is a big problem for homes where the A/C has been off for a while. Also check out your potential neighbors...are they squatters? cheapsters who've moved in for a song? Risky times buying in FLA, I think. Rent for a while instead.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #25

My parents lived in the Edgewater/New Smyrna Beach area (just south of Daytona Beach) for about 15 years and really enjoyed it. Less than 90 minutes over to Orlando for the parks so we saved lots of $$$ on hotels by doing day trips when we visited them. They considered Jacksonville but found it was noticeably colder in the winter just that little bit more to the north.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
My parents lived in the Edgewater/New Smyrna Beach area (just south of Daytona Beach) for about 15 years and really enjoyed it. Less than 90 minutes over to Orlando for the parks so we saved lots of $$$ on hotels by doing day trips when we visited them. They considered Jacksonville but found it was noticeably colder in the winter just that little bit more to the north.

Noticeably colder seems (to me) to be a relative thing, that's because I'm up here in the midwest, where winters are brrrrrr. I wouldn't mind the sweater/jacket thing for a few months, but am curious more about quality of life and opportunities.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhog View Post
No, what I meant was to buy a small place and live there to avoid NYC and NY taxes on my withdrawal taxable income. If I only have to live there for more than 6 months, it would be worth it. I thought I had to live there 12 months out of the year. From NYC and NY taxes that I will save, I can live for almost free.
Sandhog, I don't think your plan will work. There was a recent NY State tax court ruling that basically stated if you just own a residence in NY State that is habitable during any part of the year you owe NY (city and state) taxes as a resident. Sounds strange, but do a Google search and it'll come up.

To quote from a site commenting on this recent case:
( New York's non-resident residency tax )

"So to clarify, this case is really about New York State wanting to tax the Barkers on all their income from everywhere, even though the Barkers are not actually New York “residents” — they are domiciled in Connecticut.

The Barkers claimed they should only be taxed on husband’s New York-derived income from his employment in Manhattan. New York state claims the Barkers must pay taxes on everything they make, from out-of-state to out-of-country income.

Or to ask it another way — does a non-resident of New York have to pay a residency tax which is a tax of all income they make any where?

The short answer is yes, if that non-resident maintains a property in New York, because then New York state considered that non-resident to actually be a resident."

Here's another commentary on the situation, taken from the site shown below"

"But now, you don't live there, but you have an apartment that you're at two or three times a year? All of your income is subject to New York state tax. A court has said it! This is not the New York tax authorities. This is not Albany. This is a New York court."

( http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/dai...115.guest.html )

Best of luck,

Rich Cape Cod
Old 04-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
"But now, you don't live there, but you have an apartment that you're at two or three times a year? All of your income is subject to New York state tax. A court has said it! This is not the New York tax authorities. This is not Albany. This is a New York court."

( Judge: Out-of-State NY Property Owners Must Pay NY Income Tax )
Ah, I don't know if I'd entirely trust that site for tax preparation advice.

I've done this drill for my older daughter the past 3 years. As a part-year resident, or a non-resident maintaining a part-year address in New York, you would experience the joy and majesty of the IT-203 series tax forms. On page 18 of the instructions there is a worksheet. It's pretty clear how to do this calculation, and it really hasn't changed much over time.

You put your total federal taxable income in Column A. Column B gets the part of Column A earned while NOT a resident. Column C gets the part of Column B from New York State sources. Column D gets the part of Column A earned while a resident.

Column E gets the sum of Column C and Column D, that is, all New York State income earned while not a resident, plus ALL income earned while a resident.

If you were a resident for three days, and you are paid from a partnership, S corp, etc, evenly across the year, you'd prorate by days, reporting all New Your income, plus 3/365 of out of state income. If you get paid by the work day, then you use Form IT-203-B, which figures in Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, sick days, your vacation time and whatnot. It figures in all days you were in-state for work or personal business, except when traveling by common carrier (changing planes at JFK, for example). A complex set of operations, possibly involving chicken entrails, then determines the fraction of your out of state income that is taxable.

Like most states, all income earned in-state is taxable. The portion of out-of-state income earned while in state is also taxable. When you do your taxes for the state where you are resident most of the time (New Jersey or Conn.) you'll be taking a credit for the New York State tax.

New York's forms are definitely more of a pain in the a$$ than most states. And don't get me started on the MTA income tax for 1099ers.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:52 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
You really need to tour Florida and find out where you fit . When we were looking I narrowed it down by what I wanted . Close Beaches , Good health care , shopping , reasonable home prices , public transportation for when I am older , restaurants and friendly people . We visited several times before we moved and then we rented for a year before buying a house . I also subscribed to the local newspaper for six months before we picked an area ( now you can do that online ).
So, where is this place exactly in Florida?
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Sandhog, I don't think your plan will work. There was a recent NY State tax court ruling that basically stated if you just own a residence in NY State that is habitable during any part of the year you owe NY (city and state) taxes as a resident. Sounds strange, but do a Google search and it'll come up.

Best of luck,

Rich Cape Cod
Thank you for looking out for me, Rich. I don't own anything in NY. My house is owned by my ex-wife and I rent small studio apartment size of dorm room. I have an agreement with my ex-wife to live in her house (that I paid and made garage extension apartment) when kids are out of school and pay her rent. If that doesn't workout, I can stay with my friends while in NY. I intend to buy a converted van RV and travel but most in Florida for the first year of ER before buying something small.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Old 04-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Sandhog, sounds like your situation should be fine in regard NY taxes. For the record, I was born and raised in Brooklyn (till age 13 anyway). Bensonhurst area, went to PS 177 and PS 96.

Rich Cape Cod

Old 04-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #32

As a former NY State resident audited multiple times for residency related issues, I do not see it that easy at all. (As I wrote previously) establishing Florida residency is simple and straightforward. Breaking off NY State tax obligation is more difficult for someone who still lives in the state even part of the year.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
....Bugs as big as your head from what I have heard...

Yes.... we were in the everglades about 10 years ago and DW was almost carried off by a mosquito the size of a small dragon!

Well... they aren't that big.... but when 300 of them zero in on you, in what feels like a coordinated attack... it is almost as bad.

Location.

For us it would be the coast... likely gulf coast. But we would rent or lease if it was not going to be our primary home.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhog View Post
So, where is this place exactly in Florida?

I live on the border of Sarasota & Bradenton but when I first moved down to Florida I lived in Venice which is still my favorite Florida location. I moved to where I live now because I was still working and found a great job near this location.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Yes.... we were in the everglades about 10 years ago and DW was almost carried off by a mosquito the size of a small dragon!

Well... they aren't that big.... but when 300 of them zero in on you, in what feels like a coordinated attack... it is almost as bad.

Location.

For us it would be the coast... likely gulf coast. But we would rent or lease if it was not going to be our primary home.

FL certainly has mosquitoes but in our experience in 48 of the 50 states the worst attacks we have had are Minnesota, South Dakota, and Alaska. Cannot speak for New Jersey or Michigan as we have not been there.

The southern mosquitoes are usually smaller and not as aggressive but all are disliked.

We spend some of the winter in the Sarasota, Venice area and love it! I have not spent a summer there so have no experience how that would be. We have spent part of the spring and fall there also and really liked it.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I have lived in Florida for eleven years and have yet to see a mosquito . Palmetto bugs , Love bugs , fire ants , wasps but no mosquitoes . Whereas when I lived in New Jersey we had to have a bug zapper going all the time .
Old 04-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have lived in Florida for eleven years and have yet to see a mosquito . Palmetto bugs , Love bugs , fire ants , wasps but no mosquitoes . Whereas when I lived in New Jersey we had to have a bug zapper going all the time .
But you didn't mention the no seeums which are worse than mosquitoes in Florida. I just hate them!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
But you didn't mention the no seeums which are worse than mosquitoes in Florida. I just hate them!
I haven't seen them !
Old 04-18-2011, 01:58 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Sandhog, sounds like your situation should be fine in regard NY taxes. For the record, I was born and raised in Brooklyn (till age 13 anyway). Bensonhurst area, went to PS 177 and PS 96.

Rich Cape Cod

A lot has change since then. You wouldn't believe real estate prices in Brooklyn. Something that I could have bought 20 years ago for about $35K is worth $850K.

I don't think NY is going to bother me too much. Not like those millionaires who has residence in Florida and business in NY and don't want to pay NY taxes. I recalled Rush Limbaugh went through hell with NY tax collectors and ended up paying NY back taxes and few other millionaires alike. However, I will be living on modest $36K a year plus part-time work if I want to take expensive vacations.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #40

Been to Florida many times and like the Sarasota area. However, recently have been coming down to Phoenix area and I think we like it better. Obviously too hot in the summer and winter can be jacket/sweater weather but spring and fall are superb. No bugs and lack of humidity are great. Considering a rental house next fall in Scottsdale.