Join Early Retirement Today

ER Home in Florida
Old 04-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ER Home in Florida

If you were establishing a primary or secondary residence in Florida in ER which city would you choose and why. Which city (cities) would you avoid and why ?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferco
If you were establishing a primary or secondary residence in Florida in ER which city would you choose and why. Which city (cities) would you avoid and why ?
Now my DW just heard froma client that they wanted to move away from Florida due to some new tax on retirees. She wasn't clear on it, but this guy wasn't happy.

On the subject, I personally would stay away from the swampy, interior areas. Bugs as big as your head from what I have heard. Probably better home prices though.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would lean towards the Cape Coral area - I really like the canals and water access they provide. I like the west coast better. Would go all the way south to the Keys if I could afford it (I can't).

I have relatives who live in Sun City Center, a retirement community south of Tampa. Nice place, reasonable cost of living, nice ameneties - but perhaps too many old people!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great question. I have been thinking about this myself. I don't want to trade the 5-6 miserable freezing months of winter in the midwest for 5-6 oppressive months of heat and humidity in south Florida. A friend has bought a home in one of the panhandle cities and seems to like it, but I have been trying to find out information and have come to wonder about Jacksonville.

I would love to hear from any Jacksonville residents who are able to comment on what it's really like.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I like to rent a place in Florida during the winter months but would want to buy a property. I like NY since it's very convenient but don't like the bone chilling winters. As I get older, sports injury seemed to get worst during the winter. I rented a place in Tampa for a week this winter to get the feel of the place and I realized it would be cheaper to rent than buying when most I'll be in Florida is about 3 to 4 month out of the year. Only thing I like about Florida is no city or state income tax. I may buy a small unit with bear minimum cost in Florida just to save on NYC and NY taxes.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Difficult question to answer. We like Tampa, St. Pete, Venice, and Sarasota.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We lived in Lakeland for a few years. OK place, but nothing special.

Orlando was interesting back then. Don't know about today.

We liked Pensacola. A diverse community, comfortable little place. Navy town. Many retirees already. A small college, as I recall. Relatively close to NOLA when the mood strikes you.

Sannibel Island looks interesting.

Tampa is maybe too big by now.

Yes, I have heard about a special tax on folks who do not live there full time. No details.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Vacationed in Sarasota last summer. What a great clean city!
Beautiful beaches/water and the bay is nice.

I would certainly consider Sarasota for retirement destination in florida.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhog View Post
I like to rent a place in Florida during the winter months but would want to buy a property. I like NY since it's very convenient but don't like the bone chilling winters. As I get older, sports injury seemed to get worst during the winter. I rented a place in Tampa for a week this winter to get the feel of the place and I realized it would be cheaper to rent than buying when most I'll be in Florida is about 3 to 4 month out of the year. Only thing I like about Florida is no city or state income tax. I may buy a small unit with bear minimum cost in Florida just to save on NYC and NY taxes.
I think you'd have to spend more than 6 months in Fla to claim full time residency. Other than that you'd be considered a tax cheat, you wouldn't want that title, would you?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I think you'd have to spend more than 6 months in Fla to claim full time residency. Other than that you'd be considered a tax cheat, you wouldn't want that title, would you?
No, what I meant was to buy a small place and live there to avoid NYC and NY taxes on my withdrawal taxable income. If I only have to live there for more than 6 months, it would be worth it. I thought I had to live there 12 months out of the year. From NYC and NY taxes that I will save, I can live for almost free.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #11

We chose the Space Coast area. We never really considered the Gulf Coast because we already had Lake Front property. The area South of Cocoa Beach has plenty of Public Beaches and Tourists seem to gravitate elsewhere. Melbourne Beach and South to the Sabastian Inlet is one of the most beautiful (and least visited) stretches of beach in the State. Beach side property is very reasonable compared to many areas in Florida. There really is more to this area than Ron Jon's in Cocoa Beach.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:06 AM   #12

I like the Port St Lucie area. Right on the ocean, and many cheap homes / condos.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #13

I live in Orlando. Lots of great houses for next to nothing prices right now, and the bugs in central Fla are not as bad as reported. Tons of stuff to do, and an easy drive to both east and west coasts.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferco View Post
None ...

DW/me lived there (military). We could not get by the heat, humidity, bugs, weather, etc.

Better than Texas (yes, I lived in the Panhandle), but worse than what we desired.

For some, I understand that it may be great. As for us? We returned to the place of our birth (mid-Atlantic) and have no plans to move.

Everybody is different, with different goals/expectations. I wor*ed with a lot of folks who expected to move in retirement, without actually living in an area; it was based upon what they read.

I know my comment does not necessarily answer your question, but "we've been there" and just gave my/our opinion.

If you are truly interested, may I suggest you rent a place for a year (all seasons) until you make a firm decision (regardless of location)?

Just my/our $.02.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

If you can afford it, I would skip Florida and choose San Diego. Best year round weather in the continental U.S.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
If you can afford it, I would skip Florida and choose San Diego. Best year round weather in the continental U.S.
I would agree. While never living there, we have often traveled to the city and have enjoyed our time there (including the "birdbath Margaritas") in Old Town.

The only concern I would have in "these days" is the border situation which was not a concern in the past, when we went over the border.

I for one, would also be concerned with the "state finances", even though I'm retired.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #17

We've been going to Fort Lauderdale for almost 20 years now. Lots to do and a good mix of old and young people (rather than just a bunch of old people).

Unless you plan to live there for more than the three winter months, we've discovered that it is better to rent which is what we do. Just set aside $12K in the annual budget and go for it; no need to worry about condo assessments, taxes and changing neighborhoods. For the aforementioned $12K you can get three months beachside, parking and a pool; drop off the key until next year when April comes!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #18

DH and i recently returned from a 5 day trip to Ft. Myers. We loved it, but this is what we heard. The Lee County housing market is very depressed. You can buy houses at bargain prices, but do have the sheet rock checked out. Many homes have dry wall imported that has very dangerous chemicals. I never did catch on what that entailed, but these were friends who have retired to Boca Raton, so i am guessing they have good info.

I think i would like it there (but, after a 5 day trip, who knows>), tho our friends are ready to move.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

You really need to tour Florida and find out where you fit . When we were looking I narrowed it down by what I wanted . Close Beaches , Good health care , shopping , reasonable home prices , public transportation for when I am older , restaurants and friendly people . We visited several times before we moved and then we rented for a year before buying a house . I also subscribed to the local newspaper for six months before we picked an area ( now you can do that online ).
Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
I live in Orlando. Lots of great houses for next to nothing prices right now, and the bugs in central Fla are not as bad as reported. Tons of stuff to do, and an easy drive to both east and west coasts.
What do I know, I live in Nevada. I only have 2nd hand exaggerations.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote