ER Home Maintenance / Replacements

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
Approaching ER and trying to budget for future major household replacement costs. Though no one can give exact figures, your rough guesses or averages would be helpful for the following ( my guesstimates are in parentheses based on 2,400 sf brick ranch in the south):

Washer and Dryer Set: 2k

Furnance ( AC and Heating ) : 3-4 k

New Roof: 3-4 k

Electrical box and wiring: 3k

Any items I've missed ? How far are my estimates off ?

In the west, having done both on rental properties recently, they would be more like:

Furnace and AC 8 -10 K

Roof - 6 - 8 K

Washer and dryer prices are OK but easy to go higher. Electrical box seems high, but that one has been a while.

Costhelper.com has helpful info and cost ranges for various home improvements. It may be a good place for you to start. Also, reviews on Angie's List often include a description and cost for the work and can serve as a benchmark.

The only one that seems low to me is the new roof. I also live in the south and just had a new roof put on last year - approx 1850 sf under roof including garage and porch. I went with 26 ga metal ($6300) since shingle roof estimates were $5200 to $5800. Shingle prices have really gone up (closing the gap with metal) the last few years as I was expecting something closer to your estimate ($3500 or so).

Also had a new heat pump installed recently, and the estimates were all over the place for the same system/brand - paid $3300 for a 3 ton/13 seer unit but estimates were as high as $5000 so it certainly pays to get several quotes.

Last edited:
I would add $2k each to your roof and furnace estimates.

How about the following....

Hot water heater $1k
Windows ?
Flooring ?

Stove $1k
Microwave ?
Refrig $1k
Dishwasher ?
TV $1k
Electronics/laptop ?

For my budget, some are covered via a misc bucket.

Recent expenses we had:

New windows $11,000 Installed
Hot Water Heater: $2,100 Installed
Tree Trimming and bush removal: $600

Still looking to paint house, remodel bathrooms, and misc to sell house in 2 years.

Estimates for furnaces vary 100+% depending on low (80%) vs high (95%) class units & complexity of installation. Roofs are similar. And there can be significant regional cost differences. While on-line sites can be helpful, it's prob more accurate to ask neighbors what they paid for similar jobs. And don't forget to get mult estimates (& references!) for any big home improvement you are considering.
Good luck!

2012 Actuals:
roof: $10,150 asphalt shingles, 1800 sq ft under roof, also in the south, added ridge vent
Paint and repair exterior: $7,800 1/2 brick rest siding and stucco
LP Gas water heater: $842 installed
Dishwasher: $682 Bosch installed

2011 Actuals:
Refrigerator: $781
Washer: $481

Washer dryer seems reasonable and I'm not sure about the extent of your electrical box, but your roof and HVAC est look low to me, especially the roof.

We have a 4200 ranch, and the roof was replaced two years ago after a hailstorm at a cost of ~ $25,000 covered by insurance. Depending on the size of your HVAC and the seers you opt for, your est looks low to me by several thousand $s.

Just had heat pump replaced last summer (including air handler) - 4T unit was close to $10K. Not top of line but we didn't skimp either.

Roof estimate seems low to me.

Replaced AC unit 7/2012, 2898 sq ft. Still have the quotes for a 4 ton unit: Trane - 13 SEER $2875. American Standard - 13 SEER $3035, 16 SEER $4735. Bryant - 13 SEER $3560. All installers didn't think it was worth the price jump to go up to 16 SEER or more, payback time would be 10-12 yrs. I asked about heating replacement costs and was told it would be a few hundred less than the AC, but they all said don't bother until it breaks.

Estimates this year for a new roof for my townhouse (600 sq ft foundation) were $3,300 and $3,400. Just 3 years ago, the estimates were around $2,000. :eek: I'm in eastern Pa.

Estimates this year for a new roof for my townhouse (600 sq ft foundation) were $3,300 and $3,400. Just 3 years ago, the estimates were around $2,000. :eek: I'm in eastern Pa.
These quotes are shocking to me. My last roof was 16 yrs ago for less than $2k for a 1000sq ft foundation, with no valleys, hips or complications. I'm suspecting it is at least double today.

Some commodities have gone through the roof. (No pun intended.)

Roofing has to have gone up due to petroleum increases. Anyone priced tires lately? Same problem.

HVAC stuff has skyrocketed due to new regulations on coolant, but also the big increase in copper.

The "real" inflation is starting to panic me a bit about ER, especially since my wages are stagnant (falling after CPI) due to outsourcing in my industry.

Last edited:
Recent expenses we had:

New windows $11,000 Installed
Hot Water Heater: $2,100 Installed
Tree Trimming and bush removal: $600

Still looking to paint house, remodel bathrooms, and misc to sell house in 2 years.

I hope that was a lot of trees and bushes, for $600! But seriously, tree trimming has become ridiculously expensive. A neighbor got a price for having one (1) pine tree trimmed. It would have been $700, I think. He chose not to have it done. How on earth would anyone pay $700 for that? But I guess people do..... I'm signing up for tree trimming classes tomorrow. :cool:

Dishwasher,
Disposal,
Microwave,
Screening,
Paint
Garage door opener and possibly door,
Various plumbing fixes,
Locks,
Window springs,
Termites,
Slab erosion,
Carpets,
Mold problems,
Water leaks,
Bathroom exhaust fan,
Water heater,

I have been in the same 2400sf house in the south which I purchased new 25 years ago and the above is a partial list.

I am expecting that I will have to put a new driveway in within the next 10 years.

Doesn't really have much to do with ER but after 32 years in the house that we bought new we're in the midst of the following starting 4 or 5 years ago.

Just had the roof peeled and replaced less then a month ago, $7500 for 1700 sf ranch.

Driveway (I live in the north) $5k

Bathroom remodels $3k each for DIY.

Kitchen Remodel, $30k mostly DIY.

Furnace (not done yet), $5k.

Siding and a new picture window, :confused:

Back
Top Bottom