Join Early Retirement Today

ER move to NW Arkansas?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ER move to NW Arkansas?

DH and I would like to relocate to a smaller, less hectic place where there would be clean water (river, lake?) to swim in and other recreational opportunities. We were thinking about NW Arkansas. Anyone have any experience there? We have been there before but mostly to canoe or kayak. We didn't really look around thinking about relocating.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are those your only criteria or are there others?

Old 04-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #3

We've also been to NW Arkansas on vacation and it is beautiful.

Any rush to move as soon as you retire? If not, try taking an extended stay there. Rent a house for a month or two. If you do move there, don't buy a house straight off, rent for a year or 2 to see if really lives up to your expectations.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

NW Arkansas is a beautiful place to ER--recreational opportunities galore, low cost of living, lots of amenities, excellent health care. I live about 4 hours south (in Hot Springs), and we visit NW Arkansas a couple times a year. If you're also a golfer, you might want to check into the Hot Springs / Hot Springs Village area. Also a great place to live, IMHO.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

VERY religious there. I know that area. I couldn't survive there myself.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Administrator

I agree with Alan. Might as well spend some time there before moving, so that you can learn first hand about the plusses and minuses of living there.

NW Arkansas is absolutely beautiful, and the cost of living is low there. It is also a little too isolated and insular for some people. We very nearly moved nearby to SW Missouri, which is similar in many respects, but have now delayed those plans for at least five years. We vacationed 2-3 time/year to Springfield for about five years so that we would not be just moving blind.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #7

I spent a couple of years in North-Central Arkansas and loved it. The common wisdom is that it's a wonderful place to live as long as you don't need to make a living there. Arkansas is especially great if you're an outdoors person.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

All for NW Arkansas! I live in central AR, but went to school in Fayetteville in the 70's, so i am close to an expert, lol.

We live in central Arkansas, looking at Hot Springs Village and Mass/Maine (my husband's home area), but would definitely consider NW Arkansas. It is beautiful and folks are nice. I hope you do rent there and try it. (Please report back if you do).
Old 04-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have a great uncle and aunt who live in Rogers after he retired from the AF and have visited them a couple of times. Really pretty area.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:14 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

My MIL lives in Bella Vista. She moved there from Colorado Springs about twenty years ago. We visit the area about once a year. It is one of the places we would consider moving from Colorado. But, we raised our five sons here and want to live near a major airport. Whenever my MIL wants to visit it is pretty amazing how much it costs to fly to the Denver area. Especially with Walmart located in the area, you think it would be reasonably priced. But, we love to fish and golf in the area and the cost of living is very reasonable compared to the front range of Colorado.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #11

Easy to keep with the Waltons there.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

If the criteria is to have a cheap place to live then here are my two cents. I am from India and we (DW & I) keep travelling all the time because of my job. Last year we were staying in Madison, WI in one of the extended stay hotels. We were paying about 950 a month in summers (7 months) and 750 a month during winters (5 months)..we stayed there for almost a whole year! Comparing that cost to living in a house it covers rent/mortgage, gas, electricity, heating/air-conditioning, cable, phone internet, trash, linens, furniture, TV, stove, microwave, washer/dryer, lamps, and open parking!! Assuming your car is paid off and groceries is under 500 a month, I think that is a pretty managable expense. WI being a colder place, you can find extended stay hotels in warmer places too. And you can move to another place the day you feel like!

Let me know what your thoughts are on this!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Not to mention that Madison has three lakes where you can always go canoe or kayak in summers!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

We don't need any more people in NW AR.
Too many here already and the rivers are too crowded.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

As an old friend said, they are at the shallow end of the gene pool.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
As an old friend said, they are at the shallow end of the gene pool.
Would that be in reference to NW Arkansas or Madison, WI?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't looked at places that far south. My criteria is too cold for water snakes. And South carolina lost out because the first story that popped up about the lake was a fisherman who lost an arm to an alligator.

I am going to make a road trip to Kentucky to a couple of lake community small towns. I'm sure I won't fit in,(religion and politics) but I don't know anyone in Virginia either. I'm learning to do needlework in anticipation.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I am going to make a road trip to Kentucky to a couple of lake community small towns. I'm sure I won't fit in,(religion and politics) but I don't know anyone in Virginia either. I'm learning to do needlework in anticipation.
Doubt you will be thrilled.

Ha
Old 04-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mask View Post
Extended stay hotels are a very interesting alternative that I didn't know about.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mask View Post
If the criteria is to have a cheap place to live then here are my two cents. I am from India and we (DW & I) keep travelling all the time because of my job. Last year we were staying in Madison, WI in one of the extended stay hotels. We were paying about 950 a month in summers (7 months) and 750 a month during winters (5 months)..we stayed there for almost a whole year! Comparing that cost to living in a house it covers rent/mortgage, gas, electricity, heating/air-conditioning, cable, phone internet, trash, linens, furniture, TV, stove, microwave, washer/dryer, lamps, and open parking!! Assuming your car is paid off and groceries is under 500 a month, I think that is a pretty managable expense. WI being a colder place, you can find extended stay hotels in warmer places too. And you can move to another place the day you feel like!

THat is really interesting about the extended stay hotels (we have been to Madison visiting friends and it's too cold and snowy for us but besides that we liked it a lot!) Do you recommend any in particular?

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and feedback. We wanted to spend at least a couple of weeks in NW Arkansas to decide if it's a possibility then come back and rent at a later time before buying anything. Last year we spent a month in the Pacific NW and decided it probably wasn't our cup of tea. We are not a big fan of hot, humid weather but we want to be able to swim outside in the summer.

The lakes in NWA sound appealing. We are currently in St Louis and are wondering about the politics and religion. Neither of us are very religious and we consider ourselves in the middle politically. We are concerned that we won't fit in so we were thinking of maybe starting with Fayetteville (college town) or Bella Vista (more of a resort community?)

We are also thinking of camping when we go there for two weeks if we can find a place in the "middle". Any more ideas