Join Early Retirement Today

ER overseas
Old 05-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ER overseas

I have been noticing quite a few posts lately about spending time overseas in retirement. Could some people post their observations, tips or experiences? Sounds significantly cheaper to spend a few retirements years overseas but what do you do about a home base?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: ER overseas
Old 05-09-2005, 07:12 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
I have been noticing quite a few posts lately about spending time overseas in retirement.* Could some people post their observations, tips or experiences?* Sounds significantly cheaper to spend a few retirements years overseas but what do you do about a home base?* *
I think living overseas a while would be adventurous and fun, I hope to do it someday.

As a home base there are mail forwarding services that give you a street address to receive you mail at and they have couriers that deliver it to their office in the country you are living in. Cost about $25 a month. You can use a prepaid cell phone as US telephone # and call in from a land line phone for your voice mails. Also can get a # over the internet.
Banking can be done online.
Stuff can be keep in storage.

What else do you feel you need a home base for?

Old 05-09-2005, 07:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM

What else do you feel you need a home base for?
I have to have a "home base". An absolute must. It may be an
"age thing".

JG
Old 05-09-2005, 10:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... but what do you do about a home base?* *
I think Vicki Terhorst used to say that she only needed her coffee cup to feel at home.

But now they're building a home of their own. So even PT seems to eventually revert to a nesting instinct.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:15 AM   #5

For some people, myself included, it would be tough to adjust to a nomadic lifestyle for a long period of time. Some times you wanna go where everybody knows your name...da...da...da and they are always glad you came...Cheers song
Old 05-10-2005, 10:47 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have been noticing quite a few posts lately about spending time overseas in retirement.* Could some people post their observations, tips or experiences?* Sounds significantly cheaper to spend a few retirements years overseas but what do you do about a home base?* *
You can rent an apartment in the US if you MUST. I was looking at an apartment finder for Dayton Beach, FL and you can get a one bedroom for around $400 to $500 per month, if you get a few minutes away from the beach.

We are thinking about spending six months a year abroad and six months here. Our thoughts are to either rent the apartment, buy a RV (travel while in US) or purchase an inexpensive condo.

Beachbumz 8)
Old 05-10-2005, 10:59 AM   #7

I think it could be a good way to start retirement but not end it. Sell the big house you don't need anymore (collect cap gain) and keep spending low the first few years by living overseas for a little while. Might be a good idea for some people that don't have as much but want out of a job.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbumz
You can rent an apartment in the US if you MUST. I was looking at an apartment finder for Dayton Beach, FL and you can get a one bedroom for around $400 to $500 per month, if you get a few minutes away from the beach.

We are thinking about spending six months a year abroad and six months here. Our thoughts are to either rent the apartment, buy a RV (travel while in US) or purchase an inexpensive condo.

Beachbumz 8)
I am still vascillating about this one. Where the base should be is the big question, also what do you do with it when you leave for a few months?

I am currently looking in the Jacksonville St. Augustine Area. No definates though.

SWR
Old 05-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
I am still vascillating about this one. Where the base should be is the big question, also what do you do with it when you leave for a few months?

I am currently looking in the Jacksonville St. Augustine Area. No definates though.

SWR
I would not add the expensive of keeping an apartment when there are other options including using the address of friends or family.

One of the ideas is to keep costs down.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM
I would not add the expensive of keeping an apartment when there are other options including using the address of friends or family.

One of the ideas is to keep costs down.
We actually use a FL mail service, they are great! They sort mail, remove junk, ship anywhere. We started using them when we were cruising, and kept them when we became landlubbers again. Still we do need some kind of base. Again, on the perpetual search where. Hate RVs so that is out. Boating can get tedious after a while, even in the Caribbean.

Oh well.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We actually use a FL mail service, they are great! They sort mail, remove junk, ship anywhere.

Oh well.
ShokWave may I ask what mail service you found to be very reliable.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

SWR
As far as where, I think St. Augustine is great, we have friends there and they love the place. We do too, but it's too far north for us! *.

As far as what to do with it, that's a good question. That's why I like the condo or apt. Atleast they will take care of the grounds and exterior stuff. There will also be plenty of people around, which might be good from a security standpoint. The RV thing sounds pretty good to me too. We can live in it and travel the country when here and store it at a friends house while we are gone.

Our approach this year worked pretty good, but not everyone could do it. We rented our beach condo out for 3 months and used the time (and money) to travel. The tenant (a referral) lets us store our personal stuff in a closet, agreed to take care of any problems (we would pay for any repairs of course) and paid us in full in advance. Hopefully, we can do that again next year.

Beachbumz *8)
Old 05-10-2005, 08:20 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

SWR
I'm not sure you'd want to live in a $400-$500/mth apartment in Jax. You might be able to get away with that in St. Augustine or maybe a smaller place like Keystone or Middleburg.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:08 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire5soon
I'm not sure you'd want to live in a $400-$500/mth apartment in Jax.* You might be able to get away with that in St. Augustine or maybe a smaller place like Keystone or Middleburg.

I don't know about apt prices up their, I only saw a Daytona Beach apt finder, but from what I've seen, St. Augustine will probably be higher than Jacksonville.

Beachbumz 8)
Old 05-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM
ShokWave may I ask what mail service you found to be very reliable.
http://www.boatmail.net/

Email Doug.

SWR
Old 05-11-2005, 08:42 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
http://www.boatmail.net/

Email Doug.

SWR
Thanks SWR
Old 05-11-2005, 09:09 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbumz
I don't know about apt prices up their, I only saw a Daytona Beach apt finder, but from what I've seen, St. Augustine will probably be higher than Jacksonville.Beachbumz* 8)
I believe what he meant is that you may not be real happy with the socioeconomics of a $400 apt in Jack. Can you say PROJECT?

Mikey
Old 05-12-2005, 07:09 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
I believe what he meant is that you may not be real happy with the socioeconomics of a $400 apt in Jack. Can you say PROJECT?

Mikey
Exactly what I was getting at.* Anything less than $600, and really anything less than $700, will not be on the efficient frontier of comfort...* 8)
Old 05-12-2005, 07:22 AM   #19

I understood the nuance of the $400 apt. rent post.
It reminded me of yet another ER error I made.

After I went back to work in Dallas with "fat' expense allowance,
I ended up paying $1750 a month (in my defense, I did have
2 kids still living with us). The point is, over the 2 years I did this
we could have been quite comfy in, oh say a $1000 a month place.
$750 X 24 months = $18,000 in rent receipts. At least I didn't join
the country club

JG
Old 05-16-2005, 11:01 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep going back and forth on ER overseas; I'm not a fan of Vancouver winter and I love the culture of Latin America but spending all year down there seems to be a big leap. So I've spent 4-6 months each of the last two years in Costa Rica and Guatamela -- but that has it's own pitfalls too, hard to feel really connected to either of your communities with two homebases.

It's certainly an interesting way to find out how it would feel to ER overseas. Going down and renting a house for 4 months is a very different experience than traveling for 4 months. Probably I'll end up spending more and more time somewhere and less and less somewhere else and that will really determine where home is.

Here's an article a friend wrote on the topic of ER in Costa Rica: Living in Paradise