ER surprise: a little work boosts appreciation

That makes sense to me. Everything is heightened by contrast. You enjoy free time more when you have something to contrast it with (i.e., work time). Having every day off would lose its "specialness" after a year or so. I'd appreciate time off more if it wasn't a constant. The brain habituates to everything.

There's a lot of freedom to the way you're doing it, too. And I imagine it provides variety, as well as intellectual and social stimulation, and maybe a sense doing something productive/useful, not to mention a little extra cash.

Last edited:
Everything is heightened by contrast. You enjoy free time more when you have something to contrast it with (i.e., work time). Having every day off would lose its "specialness" after a year or so. I'd appreciate time off more if it wasn't a constant. The brain habituates to everything.

+1. Kind of ironic, but I'm gonna have to agree. Gotta mix things up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I've been FIREd about a year and a half and I am considering doing something. Maybe a job, maybe consulting, maybe a side gig/business type of thing.

Reasons are varied, but mostly it's a (possibly misguided) effort to fend off some boredom and scratch the Scrooge itch (have enough, but more is better).

Feel a little off put that my former employer hasn't contacted me to ask me to come back. Oh well, maybe I'm not as awesome as I thought I was.

Perhaps ex-b*ss is too busy interviewing for TWO people to take your place...

Volunteering at Meals On Wheels a few days per week satisfies me. I appreciated ER from the instant I exchanged my ID for one that had "Retiree" emblazoned across it. Still do.

Perhaps ex-b*ss is too busy interviewing for TWO people to take your place...

Thanks for the kind thoughts. The only report I got back from a coworker a few months after I left was that the disfunctionality that was the proverbial straw to me leaving had continued apace. A sadder reason, perhaps, but one that doesn't reflect poorly on me.

It's only been since the first of the year so not enough time to be b*red yet! But if I do I'll just go and buy myself another power tool for my hobby maintaining the house, vehicles and woodworking in the basement.

Although I have learned to spend more time enjoying the summer days since DD2 and her DH bought a house last fall with an inground pool - No maintenance work for me there!

Back
Top Bottom