Join Early Retirement Today

Even the use of the word may be a subtle attempt to dissuade people from wanting reti
Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Even the use of the word may be a subtle attempt to dissuade people from wanting reti

I guess since I am enjoying my FIRE so much the "tired" part or being retired never occurred to me until a friend mistook a comment someone made about me. (Someone said I looked "retired" and the friend argued that I looked great having mistakenly thought that the other person just said that I looked "tired.")

This got me thinking about the word "retire."
Where does it come from?
Is the use of this sort of negative sounding word an example of Orwellian thought control,a not so subtle framing of reference for something that the establishment wants to discourage?
Am I being paranoid?
Do I have too much time that I am thinking about this?
Does this bother anyone else?

So --the word means to withdraw- from middle French- "tirade again." People also use the phrase to mean to go to bed. The implication is clear- retirement is to leave the action! to go to sleep...I think we can safely say that this is seldom heard as an enCOURAGING word. "COURAGE" and withdrawal do not usually go together.

For me, retirement has been to wake up, to be free to go and do what my heart directs, not anyone else. The only sense I feel I am "withdrawing" is from my back account. Even FIRE, the acronym has some negative connotations as it relates to the act of being forced out of a job. What is interesting is that despite these possible attempts at linguistic propaganda, retirement is still something to which many if not most people aspire. You cannot hide this warm fire under a barrel. This rose by another name still gives off an enticing aroma. While I do think a different word would better reflect the reality of what retirement can be, it certainly does not seem necessary.

I have heard some say "rewire." I get it, but it is still bowing towards the original negative word for me. I am not sure what word would suit, but emancipation or emancipated, certainly feel closer to my experience.

Anybody else think about this?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
Anybody else think about this?
No, but retired people have have to spend their time doing something, and we now know navel gazing is high on your to do list.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting observations. Personally, I don't care what they call it; I'm just glad we've "arrived"!!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Look it up in Merriam-Webster, 'retire' is used a number of related ways. The common theme seems to be 'to withdraw from'; but now you can play with the word 'withdraw'

I personally feel the word has a proper connotation in our context on this forum. 'Retiring' from work not only has financial considerations, but for a lot of folks, what it means to their sense of contribution and worth when go from participating in a career to 'something else'. Most on this forum seem have a very clear and constructive sense of that 'something else', but not all facing retirement do. If it dissuades folk who are concerned and uncertain about what they're going to replace work with in their life, I think that's okay. You've gotta think through the transition, achieve some sort satisfaction in the outcome.

I know a few folks who fully retired from work without considering this, and they did not find their new situation comfortable for various reasons. FI isn't necessarily the most important thing to consider, IMHO.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Do I have too much time that I am thinking about this?
Yes, I think so

As long as you feel happy and engaged in the life you have, not too much else matters. Enjoy!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

So --the word means to withdraw- from middle French- "tirade again."
The French word itself, "retraite", has a latin origin meaning "pull back" or "withdraw" - retrahere. The english word "retreat" shares the same etymology and has a mostly negative connotation. But perhaps retirement has a negative connotation due to the fact that, throughout most of history, few people retired by choice. People were retired from service when they could no longer physically perform their duties. "Retirees" were probably marginalized and in poor health. Therefore, until fairly recently, retirement was perceived rather negatively.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #7

If it is any consolation, "fired" sounds even worse, far worse. (No offense to FIREd - Moderator Emeritus )
Old 03-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
If it is any consolation, "fired" sounds even worse, far worse. (No offense to FIREd - Moderator Emeritus )
None taken!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #9

OK, let's just call it rejuvenate.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
As long as you feel happy and engaged in the life you have, not too much else matters. Enjoy!
+1. It's nice to have a healthy interest in language, as long as it contributes to your happiness in retirement. If not, I'd move on to something that does.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #11

I'm not there yet but emancipated feels like the right word. Being free of the meaningless and uselessness of the workplace politics, yep, emancipation. Working for others is an indentured servitude in which the endpoint is arbitrary and only to serve the needs of the employer, never the employee.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm simply calling it my "Graduation" - feel like I'm graduating from the w**kplace into my next phase.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
I'm simply calling it my "Graduation" - feel like I'm graduating from the w**kplace into my next phase.
All these posts pondering what is the proper word for our life situation sounds like too much w*rk to me.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
... The english word "retreat" shares the same etymology and has a mostly negative connotation...
My first thought of retreat -
from Wikipedia: Retreat (spiritual), a religious or spiritual term for time taken to reflect or meditate.

I guess it is how you think of the word. I've definitely had more time to reflect and meditate since RE.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #15

I've withdrawn from the workforce. Works for me...
Old 03-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #16

Always bothered me how society insists on labeling people by stereotypes. A 50-something who is FI after 30+yr megacorp buyout is "retired", but in reality they are no more (or less) "retired" than an uber-wealthy 30-something member of the lucky sperm club heir whose biggest 'job' in life is deciding whether to cruise on the yacht or play tennis or golf at 'The Club' this afternoon. A 50-something writer/artist/actor/angel investor who just cashed in on their latest big project is not "retired" but still viewed as writer/artist/actor/investor. No one questions when they are "between projects". Folks "between projects" are still invited to office/industry events but "retired" folks are not.... despite fact that some rather successful businesses & charity projects have been started by "retired" folks. Why can't people just be "between projects" rather than pigeonholed as "retired"?

Perhaps "retired" should be "retired" from the dictionary
Old 03-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

"My car needs new tires......"

"Well, get it re-tired..."

(same car, new connection to the road).
Old 03-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
"My car needs new tires......"

"Well, get it re-tired..."

(same car, new connection to the road).
What's old is new again.
Attached Images
File Type: png The Fisk Tire_Kid (1).png (248.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #19

I wish...
Old 03-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Always bothered me how society insists on labeling people by stereotypes. A 50-something who is FI after 30+yr megacorp buyout is "retired", but in reality they are no more (or less) "retired" than an uber-wealthy 30-something member of the lucky sperm club heir whose biggest 'job' in life is deciding whether to cruise on the yacht or play tennis or golf at 'The Club' this afternoon. A 50-something writer/artist/actor/angel investor who just cashed in on their latest big project is not "retired" but still viewed as writer/artist/actor/investor. No one questions when they are "between projects". Folks "between projects" are still invited to office/industry events but "retired" folks are not.... despite fact that some rather successful businesses & charity projects have been started by "retired" folks. Why can't people just be "between projects" rather than pigeonholed as "retired"?

Perhaps "retired" should be "retired" from the dictionary
Gone! In my dictionary at least. When asked, I will just say that I am an actor.