Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Ever regretted moving south?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie
I grew up in the midwest and moved to Texas in 1976...was transferred to Chicago...then Detroit for a year each in 1997-1999...my family and I realized there is no place like the south...I was lucky to be able to transfer back to Houston. I sure did not like getting up at 4:00AM to shovel my driveway so I could go to work. Go South!
A couple ways around this problem.

1.) I live in an Association so while I'm sleeping at 4:00 am, our Snowplowing company is doing the job for me.

2.) when you are retired, you don't have to go to work, so you can wait for the snow to melt in the spring.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
A couple ways around this problem.

1.) I live in an Association so while I'm sleeping at 4:00 am, our Snowplowing company is doing the job for me.

2.) when you are retired, you don't have to go to work, so you can wait for the snow to melt in the spring.
And on top of being retired, buy a 4 wheel drive so you know you don't have to shovel the drive ever(?)

Old 12-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to OkieTexan

I have never regretted moving to SE Texas.

I grew up in NE Oklahoma and remember wallking to school in 5 degree weather with a 20 mph north wind in my face. Not fun!

I finished high school and went to college in SE Texas (near Houston).

From December 1 to June 1, the climate down here is great. Mild temps, not too much rain, no hurricanes, lots of sunshine & clear sky.

From June 1 to December 1, well............. that's another story! When the dew point hits 65 degrees F, it can be pretty uncomfortable. Mosquitos love it!

Old 12-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

I've noticed the snow is always gone by May. 8)
Old 12-07-2006, 09:03 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I am originally from Wisconsin and DW is from Malaysia. She prefers tropical so it is even too cold for her in South Carolina. She liked Houston much better (we lived there several times but we kept getting transferred away by my Megacorp oil employer). We last lived in the Chicago area before moving here in 2001. She was so happy to get out of the north.

We lived in Gabon in Africa for three years in the 80's. We were only about 40 miles south of the the equator and dw was in her element there.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:53 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by califdreamer
No regrets at all. Moved from the frigid winter days in Northern California... highs around 60. Here in San Diego more like in the 70s
OK I'll cut it out.
My turn.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and spent 4+ years determining that the only place with nastier weather was Annapolis. By "nasty" I mean intermittent snow that requires shoveling the driveway 3x/week, with freezing rain in January. Luckily I was young, dumb, & didn't know that anything better existed.

Then I moved to Orlando in winter and left at the height of summer. Not bad.

Then I wintered over in upstate New York, went to Connecticut for a few months, and ended up in Holy Loch Scotland. I found out that the Scots do cold better than just about anyone else, but by then I wasn't so dumb and I gave up my research at the end of that tour.

Everything since then has been a move south... Monterey, San Diego, & Oahu. Last night it got all the way down to 72 degrees (brrr) and I actually turned in my tank top for a short-sleeve t-shirt. But I haven't had to put on socks yet...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:51 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

Everything since then has been a move south... Monterey, San Diego, & Oahu. Last night it got all the way down to 72 degrees (brrr) and I actually turned in my tank top for a short-sleeve t-shirt. But I haven't had to put on socks yet...
Arghh.... you got me.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:37 AM   #28

After growing up in snow country, I never regretted any move south afterwards. Bay Area California was ok (never terrible weather, though never really great weather either), and Oahu was just perfect. Then I up and moved somewhat north again, but winters never get much below freezing so it is not so bad. It is even nice and cozy when the family snuggles around the kotatsu, reminding me of the nice part of snow country (hanging around the wood stove when it is freezing outside) without the bad parts (splitting and stacking 8 cords of wood each year, getting up first in the morning to get the stove revved up, etc...) I hope the kid will have similarly cozy memories.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:03 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I mostly grew up in Montana and Michigan. When I did finally grow up I went south, GA, then Turkey, back to MI, then SC, FL and finally MS. When I was first in MI I worked on a garbage truck, talk about cold. After moving south again there is no way to get me up north during the winter. When it's hot out I can go to the beach and cool off.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:03 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
I mostly grew up in Montana and Michigan. When I did finally grow up I went south, GA, then Turkey, back to MI, then SC, FL and finally MS. When I was first in MI I worked on a garbage truck, talk about cold. After moving south again there is no way to get me up north during the winter. When it's hot out I can go to the beach and cool off.
What brought you to MS? I think I read where you said you moved to the gulf coast. Before or after Katrina?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi...to JDW-fire,

We love central Florida just south of Disney World. No where near the traffic of the coasts and Disney traffic is very managable if you know a few shortcuts...

We rent from folks who bought and furnished a home for weekly rentals at Disney but are willing to rent for a very good price during the "slow season" (between Christmas and Easter) to have the house occupied and enough income to cover expenses. We have a four bedroom, two bath, heated inground pool, all for under $1700/month. Of course, they pay all utilities...home is completely furnished for weekly rentals right down to the silverware and linens...We love it.

I work 15 hours/week at a fancy golf course, Mystic Dunes, as a starter and play golf for nada. I also officiate high school basketball, like I have in Iowa for 25 years. Keeps me active and brings in some spending cash...

We get our Florida resident annual Disney pass and go over 2-3 nights/week to catch the great shows and dinner....

So far, so good...All the best...Ted
Old 12-08-2006, 09:55 AM   #32

My Mom and stepdad bought a house in Florida back in 2001 or 2002. I forget exactly where in Florida, but it's called Biscayne Heights or something like that, and isn't far from Disney. They're still living up here in Maryland though. They were renting the Florida house out, but now it's vacant.

Mom is retiring in two years, and they're planning on spending part of the winter down there, taking mini vacations, and ultimately moving down there. No intention of selling the place up here, though. Mom says that she wants to keep the house up here, just in case she ends up hating it down there. I asked her, well what if you hate it but stepdad likes it? "Oh, we'll discuss that when the time comes", she said. I can see trouble brewing. :

And I wonder what she's going to do about maintaining the place up here. It's a single family home on roughly 5 acres, with a separate garage and barn, so it's not like you can easily mothball it for a couple months!
Old 12-08-2006, 10:36 AM   #33

The only thing keeping us in Florida were our jobs. The DW's family had just moved down here so we came up for a visit. The housing prices were very reasonable, pre-Katrina. We hated the city and this place has much more open areas, so we figured what the heck. We sold our house for an obscene profit and moved up here August this year. It's still looking like a bombed out third world country in most areas near the coast, but it is being rebuilt. I noticed a lot of new demolition/construction was started within the last couple weeks.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tednvon
...We would not stay year round...family, friends, etc still in Iowa...

We vote for best of both worlds right now....Ted

Hello, Ted, from a fellow Eastern Iowan.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:35 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
And I wonder what she's going to do about maintaining the place up here. It's a single family home on roughly 5 acres, with a separate garage and barn, so it's not like you can easily mothball it for a couple months!
I know a few guys in your area who'd love to be live-in handymen... all your folks would need to do is furnish & heat the barn build a one-bedroom guest cottage.

OK, OK, and maybe season tickets to the Navy or UM games.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

And Hello to you bow-tie....Hawkeyes appear to be few and far between on these boards!

Ted
Old 12-08-2006, 05:27 PM   #37

Hey Nords, didn't you used to live in the DC area at one time? I thought I remembered you mentioning it before.

I talked to my Mom today on the phone, and I'm starting to feel a bit bad for her. She mentioned that she doesn't know if she'll be able to adjust to living in Florida and being so close to other people. Now they're going to be in a single-family home on 1/3 acre down there, so it's not like they're pancaked on top of each other. But when you're used to 5 acres of relative isolation, it is an adjustment. The other night I was talking to my roommate I mentioned that I'd probably hate it if I ever had to move back into a place like my old condo, or even a single family home in a development.

I guess you can take the redneck out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the redneck!
Old 12-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I never regretted moving south. It did so following my career path. Before doing so, I would have been an "I love the seasons/winter" type, but I was lying. Took some adjustment, but I really believe my lifestyle and leisure time are better in this climate. My regret is not doing it sooner. Plus, when I finall FIRE, I'll be in a warm place that also happens to be my home for some years.

I do miss the kids and grandkids up north. Seeing more of them will be a major driver of our retirement planning, but probably not to include moving back to Wisconsin full-time.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #39

Well today is one week in Florida after moving from NY. So far so good. Our grand kids are here and I'm enjoying seeing them when ever I want.

I spoke to friends in NY and it was 18 degrees this AM. I don't miss that!

I have no idea how this will work out, too soon to tell but I'm hoping for the best.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:33 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The only thing keeping us in Florida were our jobs... It's still looking like a bombed out third world country in most areas near the coast, but it is being rebuilt. I noticed a lot of new demolition/construction was started within the last couple weeks.
Until calling it quits, DW and I are in Havre de Grace, MD for a few more years. Purchased a condo on the gulf coast (Charlotte Harbor) a few years ago. That was before Charley and Francis turned the place upside down.

Right now, we get down a few times a year and plan to rent seasonally now that the condo is back together. The plan is to spend the summer months in Maryland and head down to Florida for the colder months. The best of both worlds, stripers and Wye River crabs in Maryland -- redfish, snook, grouper... from the gulf. T-minus 33 months and counting.

Having the condo in Florida now is allowing us to make new friends, so when we make the transition -- it should go smoothly.

dwk