Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Exclusive Interview with Nords!! Early Retiree from the Military
Old 03-20-2007, 09:50 AM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Great interview Nords and I salute you for making your family a top priority !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:20 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterblaster
What I'd really like to know is if that chain link fence topped with barbed wire means don't surf here. Is that where the best surfing is, in the place where you are not supposed to go ?
Kalealoa/White Plains Beach used to be Barbers Point Naval Air Station (and still has an active Coast Guard aviation search & rescue base). The fence was part of the old military security and has been left to rot in place (no funds to remove). The land on the "other side" of the fence is public property and usually has a couple pickups/SUVs camped out for the fishing & surfing. But the fence is full of holes and people cross without caring.

That part of the shore is full of small lava bluffs & coral heads-- not so hot for surfing, great for beach fishing. So it's a natural boundary between the two activities. The fence is also a good nav aid for judging the current and paddling back out to the "right" spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Great article! Nords, I could barely tell it was you in the short hair pictures!
My old shipmates have the exact same reaction when they see me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan
When do we get to meet in person?
San Antonio was our last grownups trip for a while. Now that my parents-in-law have moved to the Mainland, parental travel is a little harder until we launch our 14-year-old. She's made herself so busy with school & other activities that we can't even plan an interisland trip during her spring break.

We'd be up in your area this summer if there's a small college (5000 or fewer) with a good engineering (mechanical or aerospace) program and a women's basketball team...

But I'll be in West Point, NY on 26 May to help my nephew the Army Ranger move himself back to Fort Campbell.

I've been meeting one ER at a time... Laurence on a couple of his trips, Deserat last year, REWahoo! in San Antonio, Trombone Al in Waikiki on Thursday... when's your next Hawaii vacation?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Doug/Billy/Akaisha:

Great article - Doug - I recognize that board! :-) and that beach.....the surf shack for food is great, too.

One question, Doug, you mentioned the pension - do you also draw off your after-tax accounts for some of your living expenses, or do you use the pension for that - I know you were arbitraging your house...bottom line, do you live on about as much as the Kaderlis (as per their book)?

Thanks for sharing - Bridget
Old 03-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat
do you live on about as much as the Kaderlis (as per their book)?
Billy and Akaisha are the exception. That's a compliment, btw. I still can't figure it out.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #25

Nords,

Thanx for having the courage to share ... as the rest of us choose to remain anonomous.

What was the lure?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:42 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords you might want to consider Univ. of Idaho. Engineering school has a great rep and the U is located in the college town of Moscow. Also each service branch has an ROTC class. My son graduated from there with a ME degree.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most impressive............

Shows that anyone can do it with the right attitude..........

Nice form on the tae kwon do..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Great article. I really do hope that Nords gets that book done (or even started) as I always enjoy reading his posts. Great storyteller.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Great Interview! It's nice having everything you've said on this board summarized in one location (at least until your book gets written). I plan to forward it to several of our military friends to have a look. We have one friend who is on the verge of getting inspired and I hope this pushes him to get serious about the possibility of ER.
FlowGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

dex
Quote:
I see a book in your future - I think it would be balanced and focused on the right issues about RE...Let me know if I can help with the budgeting part when you do begin to write it.
Thanks Dex! We could use some help - especially with tracking spending and LBYM.

WM
Quote:
What a fun article! And I bet Nords would write a great book about ER for the military.
I think nords will make a measurable contribution in this area. He knows his stuff, and has the experience to back it up. I look forward to reading it!

moemg
Quote:
Great interview Nords and I salute you for making your family a top priority !
This always impressed me as well. Hat's off, Nords! We need more involved Fathers in the world. Your daughter will never, ever forget your influence. I know, 'cause I had a great Dad.

Sam
Quote:
Billy and Akaisha are the exception. That's a compliment, btw. I still can't figure it out.
Thanks, Sam,
Modify expenses in Housing, Transportation, Taxes and Food. LBYM. Track your spending. Voila! and Presto! You're there. 8)

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 03-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #31

Great interview. Nice to have one whole cohesive story instead of trying to remember and sort all of the bits and pieces from each post.

BTW, Nords,
my DD (10 years old and never on a board) just checked in over my shoulder to ask what I was doing. Showed her the article. She likes the hair and informed me that if you live in Hawaii, you HAVE to know how to surf. "Trust me," she says, "it's a requirement. There is so much water and it is just 'right'."

Bet you didn't know you were still following the rules.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I should point out that the other candid photo was taken after I'd been up for 36 hours on a MEDEVAC to Alaska (hence the stylish deck attire). It's what all the cool department heads wear. Gumby can vouch for me.
Submariners have never been known as fashion plates. As my young wife said after first seeing me in my rumpled blue poopy suit, "those may be the nicest clothes you have." I'm afraid it hasn't gotten any better, even after 21 years recovery.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat
One question, Doug, you mentioned the pension - do you also draw off your after-tax accounts for some of your living expenses, or do you use the pension for that - I know you were arbitraging your house...bottom line, do you live on about as much as the Kaderlis (as per their book)?
Eh, I wish we lived on the Kaderli's budget...

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...6304#msg206304

We could probably approach $24K/year only by getting rid of our teenager, our vacations, and my tae kwon do payments. At least one of those will happen in the next few years.

But at ~$45K/year spending plus another $23K/year mortgage arbitrage on a $36K/year pension, we're drawing down our after-tax accounts. Luckily Tweedy, Browne Global Value has been doing a tremendous job of going up as we've been drawing it down. We don't hesitate to spend above 4% if necessary in anticipation of spouse's Reserve pension starting up in 2022.

Hawaii real estate is expensive but the property taxes are low. Hawaii is one of the nation's most tax-friendly states for retirees and the big-box stores have really brought prices into line with many Mainland areas. And we don't have REWahoo's fire ants or rattlesnakes, either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
What was the lure?
Well, admittedly it's pretty craven. It's difficult to find military ERs and this might bring a few more out of the woodwork.

The response to the interview can also influence a publisher or, like the Kaderlis, help me decide to go the self-publishing route. Publicity & marketing seem to be at least as important as the actual writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USK Coastie
Nords you might want to consider Univ. of Idaho. Engineering school has a great rep and the U is located in the college town of Moscow. Also each service branch has an ROTC class. My son graduated from there with a ME degree.
Thanks, I'll see what she thinks. IIRC the Navy has a shore-based nuclear training plant not far away, too. And I hear they have winter there, too, which she knows she likes because she's learned all about it from the Disney Channel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Nice form on the tae kwon do..........
Kamsahamnida! You can't even see the two-pound orthopedic knee braces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy
BTW, Nords, my DD (10 years old and never on a board) just checked in over my shoulder to ask what I was doing. Showed her the article. She likes the hair and informed me that if you live in Hawaii, you HAVE to know how to surf.
She's probably read that surfing will be a Hawaii high-school team sport this fall. "Sorry I'm late, Dad, surfing practice ran overtime"-- that should be interesting.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:26 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Nords
That was a good article and congrats on winning your taek wan do competition.

-h
Old 03-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Sam
Thanks, Sam,
Modify expenses in Housing, Transportation, Taxes and Food. LBYM. Track your spending. Voila! and Presto! You're there. 8)
And what do you think I've been doing in the last 16 years? I guess having kids make things a "little" tougher for me.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords,

Thank you for your service and great interview!

Hillbilly

Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:03 AM   #37

akaisha & billy, very nice article. well done. thanx for sharing. nords, also good job; question for you follows:

before stumbling upon this forum, i had no idea as to the great benefits of government jobs. but just wondering, in particular, concerning military service. it looks like you entered service a few years after the vietnam war. would you have made that same career choice if you were of age during the vietnam war or would you make the same decision now during the iraq war?

outside of patriotism, what do you have to say to yourself to be able to put your life on the line for a lifetime of benefits?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:48 AM   #38

Quote:
What was the lure?
Quote:
Well, admittedly it's pretty craven. It's difficult to find military ERs and this might bring a few more out of the woodwork.
Nords, we really hope this does bring them out for you. Your work on this subject would be very beneficial and I hope it all goes well for you. You deserve it!

Quote:
The response to the interview can also influence a publisher or, like the Kaderlis, help me decide to go the self-publishing route. Publicity & marketing seem to be at least as important as the actual writing.
Right. When we were writing our book, there were lots of places where we said to each other: “This is where people quit.” It isn’t always about the writing of the topic itself. Seems lots of things want to get in the way and get one side-tracked… then.. After the work is finished there is this initial elation… until one remembers that yeah, no one knows about it yet, and the self publishing/marketing machine goes into action.

Later on, let us know if you want some tips, Nords…

Sam
Quote:
And what do you think I've been doing in the last 16 years? I guess having kids make things a "little" tougher for me.
No doubt. I understand.. A word of caution however -- once the kids grow up there is still college, the wedding, helping with the down payment of the house, helping them set up the house, and then there are the grandkids, the education of the grandkids, etc. etc. etc.

Lots of people write to us about them being somewhere in that loop and they ‘can‘t get out‘… Just grab hold and redirect it as soon as possible. -- or not - - just depends on what you want to do and how you want to prioritize your life.

Didn’t mean to hijack the thread, just a word of advice there… 8)

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement
Old 03-21-2007, 07:54 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I'll have to photoshop one of those pictures to include the klingon ridges...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:36 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Kamsahamnida! You can't even see the two-pound orthopedic knee braces.
Isn't that Korean for: "you're welcome", or something like that? Sorry, my Korean is shaky, and I didn't Google it...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote