Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Exersize and RE
Old 12-09-2004, 10:42 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am ordering a pedometer and am going to try the 10,000 steps a day route.
Hi Martha,

I have done this 10,000 steps thing for several years. You will be amazed how may steps you pick up just going about your business, walking to lunch, shopping at the mall, going up and down stairs.

If you set out to do 10,000 steps at once on walk, it is looong! But fortunately you don't need to.

On a typical day when I am in the city, I walk my dog a couple of times, maybe head to the grocery or another on foot errand, and I have done about 12,000. If some of that is on hills, or as in your case office stairs, that is a pretty good day's work.

I have never found a pedometer that will accurately count dance steps, as in Jazzercize, Salsa wortkouts etc. They apparently need a little jarring, the easy flow won't get picked up.

Mikey
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2004, 01:21 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Been doing this for years. Age 61.
Do weight training. Mandatory. Do steam bath/sauna.
Every other day get outside.......sprint, flat out for 1 minute.
Walk briskly for 3 minutes.
Sprint for 1 minute.
Keep repeating 'til you've done 40 minutes.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:04 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I have thought about something for strength training, but I am pretty clueless. My FIL used to take milk jugs partially filled with water and use them as weights for strengthening his arms.
Martha,

There's a book Strong Women Stay Young http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...-7355347<br /> The exercises are easy to do, and not meant for body-building just strengthening in the areas women need to help decrease bone-loss, etc.

I like it cause it's doable.

Judy
Old 12-09-2004, 02:15 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We are moving next month to a "55 or better" community that has a magnificent community center with indoor and outdoor pools, and a state of the art fitness center. *I expect to increase my exercise to include stationary bike and resistance training.

Maybe then I'll be less

* * * * * *Grumpy *:-/
My parents and in-laws live/lived in an 55+ RV resort outside Tucson and when we would visit on a weekday evening when the weather was nice,(98% of the time) there they would all be, groups of 'em, sittin' on the patio, enjoyin' a sundowner, laughin', music playing, grills emitting fabulous aromas. All we could think was-Get a Job!

Then I thought, How can I do this?

Judy

Old 12-10-2004, 06:38 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Martha,

There's a book Strong Women Stay Young http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...-7355347<br /> The exercises are easy to do, and not meant for body-building just strengthening in the areas women need to help decrease bone-loss, etc.

I like it cause it's doable.

Judy
Thanks for the great tip Judy.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 07:49 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Good topic. This is my first winter in ER, and I really need to deal with this. We don't have a gym here. What would you recommend for a home setup. I'm thinking a treadmill and some weights. Would repeatedly walking up and down a flight of stairs be as good as a treadmill? If you were going to do everything at home, what would you do?
Hi Bob,

I use a set of springs (I like them better than weights), use an ab roller for sit-ups, and do push-ups. This equipment takes up very little space and costs only about $20 - $25 if purchased used. Living in Arizona allows me to walk/jog outside most of the year. But I do have a treadmill for inclimate weather.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 11:03 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
But in the long winter months here in Minnesota, it gets hard to exercise properly outdoors.
It is harder but doable. You can still walk outside in parks with cleared snow paths. For example, some hennepin county (or three-river district) parks clear the snow form the walking trial. If not, you can either do cross-country sking or snow shoeing. Last resort - walking inside the shopping malls.