Exit interview

I never had an exit interview with HR, but instead it was with my immediate supervisor. I was courteous and professional throughout. Inside I was ready to bust out laughing saying to myself "This is it! the light at the end of the tunnel is so much brighter and near."

I had my exit meeting with HR 90 minutes ago. I checked the data on my Personnel Action Form which stated that I was retiring from work. I signed a document saying that I wasn't suffering from any work related injuries. I picked up a check for my remaining vacation balance. All very amicable and business like.

My supervisor was also attending the meeting. I've already been gone for 10 weeks (of vacation) and I wasn't sure why he was going to be there. I was a little nervous about it being an uncomfortable interaction. My fears were unfounded. He gave me my 30 year pin and was genuinely interested in how things were going. I said goodbye to a few people I missed in December. Now I'm gone . . .

Reactions: W2R
I suppose I was unhappy that my job had evaporated and that I would be "forced" to do other stuff if I stayed. Here's what I told her and here is exactly how I felt. "I'm leaving because the job I loved is gone, I don't want to do anything else and I don't have to do anything else. I'm not mad at anyone and I'm leaving with the best feelings about Megacorp and the folks I've worked with."

I have the same feeling. I just regret it that I was not as vocal as you are. But, I guess my boss and others have an idea what pushed me into retirement.

He gave me my 30 year pin and was genuinely interested in how things were going.

I received one better that a 30 year pin. For my 37 years, I received from megatech, $200 (two hundred - with 2 zeroes) in gift cards. This week, I received a Pay Statement Notification from ADP. Oh, wow, I thought - I have money coming in. It turned out that it is a statement showing that I am being taxed for the gift cards.

By the way - I never got an exit interview nor papers to sign. They just asked me to make an inventory of items that were in my possesion and the disposition of them.

I received one better that a 30 year pin. For my 37 years, I received from megatech, $200 (two hundred - with 2 zeroes) in gift cards. This week, I received a Pay Statement Notification from ADP. Oh, wow, I thought - I have money coming in. It turned out that it is a statement showing that I am being taxed for the gift cards.

When I retired I got an envelope stuffed with cash, from $1 to $50 bills. Not bad! Guess that's the "Louisiana Way" (and no, I didn't stuff it in my freezer like our politicians seem to do!) :D Oh, and I also got a couple of plaques honoring me for some stuff.

Last edited:

By the way - I never got an exit interview nor papers to sign. They just asked me to make an inventory of items that were in my possesion and the disposition of them.

I got a plaque presented at an all hands meeting. It was a state government job. They can't hand out money and gift cards. Stuff of value came from my colleagues at the retirement party.

It took me a couple of weeks to find everything but I also transferred several hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and computers to other employees.

Exit interviews; I have had a couple, I really did not care about bridges just told it like I saw it some good, some bad. I heard nothing changed either way so I don't sweat them.

When I retired I got an envelope stuffed with cash, from $1 to $50 bills. Not bad! Guess that's the "Louisiana Way" (and no, I didn't stuff it in my freezer like our politicians seem to do!) :D Oh, and I also got a couple of plaques honoring me for some stuff.

Not wanting to have a group luncheon on my last day (my best friend/coworker took me out to lunch), they gave me the money they would have spent on me. It was about $160 in small bills (and a few small coins for some reason LOL!). Not bad!

2 months after I retired they had a lunch for me. Gave me a $100 gift card for local mall. I Would have preferred card for grocery store.
Was rather surprised they found enough people to show up.

Exit interview?! The departure from my last mega-corp employer was: my computer accounts were disabled mid-morning, my boss made a half-hearted offer to take me to lunch, my severance papers arrived at my home that day before I did.

Shoot. HR wants to talk to you? Just do it

No exit interviews where I work. They will sometimes try a last ditch effort to try to keep the person. That usually fails so they change the locks and alarm codes. Somehow the person's last day is usually when he/she announces his departure.
Should the person have been in sales, the other remaining salespeople try to get the accounts of the person leaving. Someone else is assigned to their position and learns to do the job without any training.
By the next day there is some other fire(s) to put out and life goes on.

I know that it is a crackerjack box job but I only work PT and it is OK until I decide to retire FT.

I was given a 60 GB video IPOD on retirement day. It was on craigslist the next.

IMO - Keep it short and sweet. Words of wisdom to some HR drone isn't going to fix corporate maladies (unless there is some sort of EEOC problem). Venting will just make you look bad.

Move on and leave it all behind.... It is someone else problem now!

Back
Top Bottom