Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't do an exit interview when I retired. It's doubtful it would serve much purpose and there is no reason to burn bridges.

Over my working years I participated in a number of 'lessons learned' processes so we can learn from last time and do it better next time. Well, I really tried with detailed input about what didn't work well and why. It didn't make any difference and the same problems kept getting repeated. Some times it felt like a time warp much and like beating that poor dead horse that is so popular around here.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:57 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It's the best we can do pending the release of "Google Obituary"...
I'm predicting the offical name will be Goobituary ..

Old 02-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #23
gone traveling

My exit interview was not an interview at all. It was just to get a checklist of "things that had to be done" upon my retirement, including having DW come in to sign-off on my cash balance settlement, along with the typical COBRA, benefit options (vision, dental, life insurance, etc.) decisions.

The morning of my retirement, the sheet was sent to the department secretary/coordinator to complete the final items (e.g. Corporate CC, PC, ID, etc. turn-in).

Nobody asked me about any "suggestions for improvement". After being with the company for almost thirty years, they knew I had time to express myself in the past, and really they had no intention on changing anything. "C'est la vie" (such is life).

I exited the building, got in my car, and never looked back (or returned to the site).

BTW, the building (and my former group) was gone two years (to the day) after my retirement due to being taken over by another company and consolidating operations. Looks like I made the right decision to retire at the time I did, on my terms and on my schedule, at age 59. Maybe not ER, but close enough ...
Old 02-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
I didn't do an exit interview when I retired. It's doubtful it would serve much purpose and there is no reason to burn bridges.

Over my working years I participated in a number of 'lessons learned' processes so we can learn from last time and do it better next time. Well, I really tried with detailed input about what didn't work well and why. It didn't make any difference and the same problems kept getting repeated. Some times it felt like a time warp much and like beating that poor dead horse that is so popular around here.

I find this interesting as I ran a few of these 'lessons learned' meetings... every time we got some good ideas and was able to incorporate them into the next years plan... we are also in a position to point to someone else in the room that 'needed' that process that someone might have thought was the stupidist process in the world... (this saved me more times than not...).. Sometimes there is a reason that it is being done the way it is being done and you might not know why.....

The other big problem was getting something programmed to 'do it this way' was just way to costly and we kept the old way even if it had a few problems..
Old 02-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #25

A few years before I RE'd, I recall having coffee with my director (my boss's boss). He was feeling just a little bit blue about the recent less-than-amicable departure of a couple of folks in our division. I knew the stories and knew that it was about 90% the employee's own issues and the rest was them bumping up against corporate culture. i.e., nothing my director could have done. I mentioned to him something that I recall to this day. I said "When I leave, I'd like for it to be a sadly sweet day." A few years later, that's exactly how I would describe my exit - interviews and all. I was sad to leave a place that (for all its many faults) was, in many ways, a great place to HAVE worked for 36 years. I was sad that the job I had come to love sort of evaporated and led to my ER. But, it was sweet because I left with my head up, many folks wishing me well, and adequate funds to resource my ER.

I actually had 2 official exit interviews. The first was with HR who got my keys, ID, couple of pension/insurance forms signed (no non-disclosure/competition to sign). Had a nice chat with the HR guy who had become an acquaintance outside of his HR duties. Very casual and friendly. I don't recall any heavy-duty questions about why I was leaving nor what the company could do better.

Final-final interview was with our plant mgr. He directed about 2500 folks but we sat and talked about our respective retirement plans (I think he is still with Megacorp - poor guy!)

My favorite "interview" was with my then director. She heard about the short notice of my departure (day after labor day announcement of leaving that Friday). My actual last day was Sept. 30 but I was "on vacation" after Friday. She came in Thursday from another plant site she was working at. She was very concerned that maybe I had become unhappy about something. I suppose I was unhappy that my job had evaporated and that I would be "forced" to do other stuff if I stayed. Here's what I told her and here is exactly how I felt. "I'm leaving because the job I loved is gone, I don't want to do anything else and I don't have to do anything else. I'm not mad at anyone and I'm leaving with the best feelings about Megacorp and the folks I've worked with." I heard 2 years later that she had relayed that story to someone in the company and I eventually heard about it through a friend who was still with Megacorp. She'd said that was how she hoped to leave someday. I couldn't have been more flattered.

SO, use the exit interview however best suits your needs/feelings. My "three" exit interviews, in retrospect, are precious to me.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I never had an exit interview with HR, but instead it was with my immediate supervisor. I was courteous and professional throughout. Inside I was ready to bust out laughing saying to myself "This is it! the light at the end of the tunnel is so much brighter and near."
Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #27

I had my exit meeting with HR 90 minutes ago. I checked the data on my Personnel Action Form which stated that I was retiring from work. I signed a document saying that I wasn't suffering from any work related injuries. I picked up a check for my remaining vacation balance. All very amicable and business like.

My supervisor was also attending the meeting. I've already been gone for 10 weeks (of vacation) and I wasn't sure why he was going to be there. I was a little nervous about it being an uncomfortable interaction. My fears were unfounded. He gave me my 30 year pin and was genuinely interested in how things were going. I said goodbye to a few people I missed in December. Now I'm gone . . .
Old 02-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #28

Awww, that is both sad and happy. And wow, a 30 year pin. I can't even imagine that. Go forth and be joyful, martyp!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I suppose I was unhappy that my job had evaporated and that I would be "forced" to do other stuff if I stayed. Here's what I told her and here is exactly how I felt. "I'm leaving because the job I loved is gone, I don't want to do anything else and I don't have to do anything else. I'm not mad at anyone and I'm leaving with the best feelings about Megacorp and the folks I've worked with."
I have the same feeling. I just regret it that I was not as vocal as you are. But, I guess my boss and others have an idea what pushed me into retirement.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
He gave me my 30 year pin and was genuinely interested in how things were going.
I received one better that a 30 year pin. For my 37 years, I received from megatech, $200 (two hundred - with 2 zeroes) in gift cards. This week, I received a Pay Statement Notification from ADP. Oh, wow, I thought - I have money coming in. It turned out that it is a statement showing that I am being taxed for the gift cards.

By the way - I never got an exit interview nor papers to sign. They just asked me to make an inventory of items that were in my possesion and the disposition of them.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
I received one better that a 30 year pin. For my 37 years, I received from megatech, $200 (two hundred - with 2 zeroes) in gift cards. This week, I received a Pay Statement Notification from ADP. Oh, wow, I thought - I have money coming in. It turned out that it is a statement showing that I am being taxed for the gift cards.
When I retired I got an envelope stuffed with cash, from $1 to $50 bills. Not bad! Guess that's the "Louisiana Way" (and no, I didn't stuff it in my freezer like our politicians seem to do!) Oh, and I also got a couple of plaques honoring me for some stuff.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post

By the way - I never got an exit interview nor papers to sign. They just asked me to make an inventory of items that were in my possesion and the disposition of them.
I got a plaque presented at an all hands meeting. It was a state government job. They can't hand out money and gift cards. Stuff of value came from my colleagues at the retirement party.

It took me a couple of weeks to find everything but I also transferred several hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and computers to other employees.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Exit interviews; I have had a couple, I really did not care about bridges just told it like I saw it some good, some bad. I heard nothing changed either way so I don't sweat them.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When I retired I got an envelope stuffed with cash, from $1 to $50 bills. Not bad! Guess that's the "Louisiana Way" (and no, I didn't stuff it in my freezer like our politicians seem to do!) Oh, and I also got a couple of plaques honoring me for some stuff.
Not wanting to have a group luncheon on my last day (my best friend/coworker took me out to lunch), they gave me the money they would have spent on me. It was about $160 in small bills (and a few small coins for some reason LOL!). Not bad!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
2 months after I retired they had a lunch for me. Gave me a $100 gift card for local mall. I Would have preferred card for grocery store.
Was rather surprised they found enough people to show up.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Exit interview?! The departure from my last mega-corp employer was: my computer accounts were disabled mid-morning, my boss made a half-hearted offer to take me to lunch, my severance papers arrived at my home that day before I did.

Shoot. HR wants to talk to you? Just do it
Old 02-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #37

No exit interviews where I work. They will sometimes try a last ditch effort to try to keep the person. That usually fails so they change the locks and alarm codes. Somehow the person's last day is usually when he/she announces his departure.
Should the person have been in sales, the other remaining salespeople try to get the accounts of the person leaving. Someone else is assigned to their position and learns to do the job without any training.
By the next day there is some other fire(s) to put out and life goes on.

I know that it is a crackerjack box job but I only work PT and it is OK until I decide to retire FT.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #38

I was given a 60 GB video IPOD on retirement day. It was on craigslist the next.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

IMO - Keep it short and sweet. Words of wisdom to some HR drone isn't going to fix corporate maladies (unless there is some sort of EEOC problem). Venting will just make you look bad.

Move on and leave it all behind.... It is someone else problem now!