Join Early Retirement Today

Exit interviews?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Exit interviews?

I have given notice at my job to work part time at home (cad drafting and estimating). This decision is based on the need to homeschool my child who suffers from anxiety. I have been taking Intermittent FMLA to deal with appointments, bad days, etc but I need to be there full time.

My current work (GIS) is on a live sde so it is not something that I can do remotely and remain here - not that they would allow it anyway.

My supervisor mentioned scheduling an exit interview. Is there anything I should be cautious about? Anything I should not sign?
I may wish to reenter the workforce in a few years - depending on how my work at home pans out, the stock market. Etc...so I want to be cooperative and not burn any bridges.

I do have one steady client lined up that is already using a cad service so he will just switch to me. We worked together for 10 years - great guy and I think that part will work out well.

Still struggling with the cobra vs exchange - leaning toward cobra because of course none of our doctors take the aca plan. It will be more than 10% of my income so there will be a deduction at least. Next year if my income is low enough I may be able to get the kid on peachcare (georgia low cost childrens insurance)
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #2

Wonderful that you are able to make this move to support your child through this difficult period. For an exit interview under these circumstances, I don't think you have much to worry about. They'll most likely ask you for more details about why you are leaving, what you liked about the job, and what you didn't like. You can honestly say that what you didn't like was not being able to be there for your child and leave it at that, which is both truthful and safe. Find a few good things to say and you should be out of there in 15 minutes. Good luck with the changes!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't know anything about exit interviews, but I almost never sign anything the day it is presented to me. Always say you need to look it over and think about it. Often find something, sometimes important, that is not in my best interest, and can usually get it fixed. Had my own consulting business for over 30 years and had to sign many contracts. Glad to be retired now!
Old 01-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is this client you have lined up one that has used you previous employer? Could this be seen as taking one of their clients?

You may need to not only look at what they have you sign at the exit interview, but what have you already signed... like when you got the last job. Quite often they will have some form of non-compete document. They may forbid using their customer lists, engaging with prior clients etc. I had one that required you not compete in any business the company worked in. It was a very diverse company. They also wanted notification of what you were working for the 3 years after terminating employment so they could verify that no branch of the company was doing that. This was required even if you were not the idea person, but just a cog in the works.

So check what you have already committed to.

Since you're leaving on your own you likely won't get severance. These agreements usually have agreements... especially giving up rights to sue the company.

Don't bet that just you well get a deduction just because you're health expenses will exceed 10% of income. Before you can deduct anything, you need to exceed the standard deduction.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Wonderful that you are able to make this move to support your child through this difficult period. For an exit interview under these circumstances, I don't think you have much to worry about. They'll most likely ask you for more details about why you are leaving, what you liked about the job, and what you didn't like. You can honestly say that what you didn't like was not being able to be there for your child and leave it at that, which is both truthful and safe. Find a few good things to say and you should be out of there in 15 minutes. Good luck with the changes!
+1. Should be easy. Just be positive and answer their questions, no need to volunteer much else IMO. However, as you might want to re-enter the workforce one day, I'd volunteer that, though I suspect it will come up.

More often when someone posts about an exit interview, they hate something about their job and want to unload on their boss/company. Nice to see one with someone who wants to leave for good reason, with no hard feelings (much like me).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Not sure this applies, but don't forget to ask for prorated bonuses. If you are leaving mid pay period, ask for any bonus earned up to that point.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Should be an absolute cake walk. I was sent a questionnaire ahead of time. I could have blasted some people and policies but there was no sense given the current state of change. Have a nice day!

If I understood the client issue correctly, I wouldn't bring it up. If you are pushed I'd say nothing, walk out to see an attorney.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Keep your thoughts about your employer to yourself. Chances are they do not care, won't listen. So it can only serve to your disadvantage to speak you mind.

I worked for one of the largest IT companies in the world. For the last 15 years employee surveys were a meaningless joke, a poor attempt to persuade employees that senior management cared about them. And when the results become absymal presentation was delayed and the subsequent questions changed so that results could be 'managed'. Sad really, it was an opportunity missed. It mirrored the ongoing demise of the company.

Exit interviews were the same. To the point where they stopped the pretense of conducting them. It is what happens when a HR group becomes a Personnel group.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #9

I've changed jobs 9 times, and I've learned to pretty much blow off the exit interview. I've successfully politely declined with no issue at all, but if they insist I just tell them how wonderful the job was and how great the boss is, ad naseum, saying I'm leaving to "pursue another opportunity" or something just as noncommittal. They might want you to sign a non-compete, but if you refuse about all they could do is withhold severance pay or not pay for unused PTO/Vacation. Threatening to fire you wouldn't make much sense.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Exit interviews?
Old 01-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Exit interviews?

Employer I am leaving is a local govt. There will be no severence and I'm a tiny minion so there has never been a need to sign any sort of non compete document not that my work would be a conflict.
My IRAs can be rolled over or I think they may remain with the same company. I will explore a roth conversion later in the year.

I'm surprised there is an exit interview honestly. It's probably a paper signing thing and a quick "were you harassed" check.

My client has been using a drafting service but they were not always readily available so much so that he is working weekends so he is happy to have someone that will be more available. I am happy to have someone that will pay and is not crazy

Client no 2 is a little iffy and infrequent but they will not be my bread and butter account.

Very true about the deductibility of health care expenses. In fact this year even with me working and having a mortgage I only itemized to lower my georgia taxes, not federal. I suspect the standard deduction will prevail for 2017 or it will be close. At least it will give me a shot at peachcare as I will be able to show that current insurance is unaffordable which can be a qualifying event.

My ex passed away two years ago (thus the anxiety) so there is a social security benefit for a few more years as well. I think we will be fine.
I wish I could have done it when he passed then we might not be in this situation.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #11

I've worked for and left a number of companies. When you leave voluntarily, an exit interview is often requested. Quite often, it's somebody from HR who is trying to dig for any info within the organization that might be the cause of your leaving. Even if there is something internally causing you to leave, I have yet to see any benefit to me (and a large possibility of downside) for giving out that kind of information. So we leave it on good terms: "it's me, not you", "looking for a change", "the other company came to me", etc. If it is some individual that's the problem, then hopefully you can at least have some sway in your next company to prevent the same individual from being hired there.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe they just want you to turn in your keys and ID and credit card if you have them.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Maybe they just want you to turn in your keys and ID and credit card if you have them.
+1

That was part of mine. They also went over COBRA, 401k withdrawals. Who to contact if you needed further assistance once you were out the door.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnstormer View Post
Employer I am leaving is a local govt.
My exit interview from state govt consisted of turning in all company issued items. Cell phone, keys, P-card and fuel card then they went over what benefits I was and was not entitled to. They treated retirements and voluntary separations the same.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Not sure this applies, but don't forget to ask for prorated bonuses. If you are leaving mid pay period, ask for any bonus earned up to that point.
ummm yeah, good luck with that

that's for the next employer to pay as a signing bonus
Old 01-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
I've worked for and left a number of companies. When you leave voluntarily, an exit interview is often requested. Quite often, it's somebody from HR who is trying to dig for any info within the organization that might be the cause of your leaving. Even if there is something internally causing you to leave, I have yet to see any benefit to me (and a large possibility of downside) for giving out that kind of information. So we leave it on good terms: "it's me, not you", "looking for a change", "the other company came to me", etc. If it is some individual that's the problem, then hopefully you can at least have some sway in your next company to prevent the same individual from being hired there.
+1
Old 01-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't sign anything like a noncompete agreement unless you've negotiated severance.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
My exit interview from state govt consisted of turning in all company issued items. Cell phone, keys, P-card and fuel card then they went over what benefits I was and was not entitled to. They treated retirements and voluntary separations the same.

Good point. Forgot about the fuel card. I also need to turn in some clothing and educational materials.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I wouldn't sign anything like a noncompete agreement unless you've negotiated severance.

Severence lol. This was a job people...not a career.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I was emailed a questionnaire to fill out before the exit interview. I didn't bother and no one ever asked me for it. If they weren't interested in my feedback while I was working there, why would I bother giving it to them when I left? They know all the issues and refuse to resolve them, so why bother?
Marketwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote