Expat with $2MM considered wealthy by Congress

Its too bad they don't index the $2mm amount to keep pace with the estate tax threshold ... or wait, perhaps they realized that EVERYONE might just die or emigrate in 2010.

I read through a lot of this and even some supporting links. It is actually a good reference. But after reading all of this I still can't tell if an expatriating person with net worth of less than $2M would owe taxes on deferred capital gains . . . and how would a traditional IRA be handled . . . I still have no idea -- taxes due on exit with all the income coming that year?

Kramer

Well, if they told all of the secrets, you wouldn't have need for an accountant! ;)

I read through a lot of this and even some supporting links. It is actually a good reference. But after reading all of this I still can't tell if an expatriating person with net worth of less than $2M would owe taxes on deferred capital gains . . . and how would a traditional IRA be handled . . . I still have no idea -- taxes due on exit with all the income coming that year?

Kramer

Why:confused: You leaving:confused:

I did not read that much... but I would bet that the for 88 whatever is the place to look... and from what I read if you were not 'rich' then off you go.. have fun..

It is the rich (but should be higher than $2 mill) that they want to get their hands on.. a few years back some of the mega rich were just giving up their US citizenship and moving to an island that did not tax them.... and they did not stay in the US that long anyhow as they traveled the world... so it was no big deal to them and it saved them millions in taxes...

Remember... all US income is subject to US tax no matter who you are or where you are... it is only the 'world wide' income that is being saved...

Whoa.

I think this link only applies to Americans who renounce their citizenship. (Or did I miss something?) Those of us, like Kramer and me, who are only interested in living abroad have no special worries. We just have to file every year.

At 3.5% SWR from a good portfolio, it is very possible that many here will be worth a lot more than $2MM somewhere along the line, so it is an interesting subject.

There may be some complications if an individual wants to take a large chunk of money out of the country all at once, but it seems to depend on how one does it. Transferring big bux through your bank to buy a house in Panama doesn't seem to be a problem. Bags of gold under your coat will get you into trouble. I remember the story of a college prof who tried that and got into very hot water. There are better ways.

Why:confused: You leaving:confused:

I did not read that much... but I would bet that the for 88 whatever is the place to look... and from what I read if you were not 'rich' then off you go.. have fun..

It is the rich (but should be higher than $2 mill) that they want to get their hands on.. a few years back some of the mega rich were just giving up their US citizenship and moving to an island that did not tax them.... and they did not stay in the US that long anyhow as they traveled the world... so it was no big deal to them and it saved them millions in taxes...

Remember... all US income is subject to US tax no matter who you are or where you are... it is only the 'world wide' income that is being saved...
Texas Proud, No I am not seriously considering leaving. I am an American, and I love my country and what it stands for both historically and today. However, I always like to know all of my options :D I have paid a boatload of taxes over the years as a single high earner with no tax deductions (besides state tax!). Since I have considered retiring elsewhere, this would only even be considered if I were very happily situated in some second world paradise.

For example, if socialized medicine were to come to the US for all ages, and they continued the worldwide tax regime, this could be very bad for American expats (higher taxes but absolutely no benefits since you are paying for your own care overseas). Other countries basically allow you to opt out of nationalized medical systems by establishing non-residency without expatriation.

That is a good point about US source income. I would probably be subject to 15% withholding on dividends and interest. Unless many of the holdings were moved at the time of expatriation (and assuming no tax "event", i.e., don't have to pay deferred cap gains taxes -- which is doubtful).

If memory serves, only about 2000 people per year expatriate from the US. I am guessing the number in the other direction becoming citizens is about 1000 times higher.

Kramer

The countries that are close to us are mainly in Western Europe and their taxes are much higher!

Oh, I almost forgot about the Canucks... But then again, that is the 51st state. ;)

Other places are fun and interesting places to visit! But there is nutin' like the good old USA!

Back
Top Bottom