Expats in Mexico: is this accurate?

Need disguise!

images
But your missing the Hoss Cartwright 10gal. white hat.:facepalm:

You can have an old car, something which isn't conspicuous. But you can't hide the fact that you're a gringo.
You can't even hide that you are an American in London, let alone Mexico. Anyone with eyes to see picks up on thousands of cues, behavioral, dress, style of moving about. The foreigner doesn't even have to speak to be blown.

Ha

Did I mention we were planning a trip to the "stans" next summer?

LOL...that reminded me of a 'Letters To The Editor' submission to the Arab News I once broke up reading on a Saudia flight.

Many of the letters were sent in by Brit expats, and the gist of this one was: "Two jazz greats are/were Stan Getz & Stan Kenton, so there should be a country for jazz fans and it could be called Stanistan!"

I look at the numbers of businesses opened, homes bought, new students in private schools, and I wonder just how many rich people does Mexico have? And if, or when, most of them have moved to Texas - what happens to Mexico?
And then what happens to the expats in Mexico? Extortion is a growth industry in Mexico. What will those criminals do when there are fewer and fewer rich people to target? Will they find some other form of criminal enterprise or will they lower their sights to those who are likely to have more assets than their fellow countrymen - the yanqui expats?

And then what happens to the expats in Mexico? Extortion is a growth industry in Mexico. What will those criminals do when there are fewer and fewer rich people to target? Will they find some other form of criminal enterprise or will they lower their sights to those who are likely to have more assets than their fellow countrymen - the yanqui expats?
Not sure this is a problem now in Mexico, but it certainly is possible, and did happen elsewhere in Latin America. I don't think expats are a target because they don't have enough money, but the growing class of families breaking out of the middle class are. The problem isn't so much fewer rich people as it is the criminal business becoming more institutionalized, with police and other authorities demanding a larger and more regular flow of funds to allow it.

We have a lot of wealthy Mexicans relocating to our area of South Texas and several restaurants as well moving north of the border. That's how I heard about the "Investor Visa". It's providing quite a boost to the local economy not to mention some nice new restaurants.

And locals tell me this is a completely new thing. We've had tons of Mexican tourism in the Valley before, and that continues. But not significant relocation of wealthy Mexicans or their businesses.

Audrey
The same thing is happening in Vancouver but it is rich people from the Chinese mainland, and Persia (Iran, Iraq...). Buying expensive houses for cash. They must have $1.6 million of which half can be invested in housing. (PS $800k just buys an average house there.) They must be in good health to qualify for medical insurance.

When the PRI gets elected this year, the war on drugs will be over (PAN intiative) and the flow of drugs to the US will resume unhindered. This will cause a significant reduction in stories and improved tourist flows.
We'll see. The problem as I see it is that extortion has become a way of life in some parts of Mexico, and I don't see that going away with a change of administration. It's one of those "can't put the genie back in the bottle" kind of problems.

We'll see. The problem as I see it is that extortion has become a way of life in some parts of Mexico, and I don't see that going away with a change of administration. It's one of those "can't put the genie back in the bottle" kind of problems.

I think that all it takes is a change in general "perception" of what's going on to change things around even if there isn't that much "real" change in fact. I think back to Colombia's case and how things have turned around. As I understand it, a lot of wealthy Colombian folks have returned from their exodus in Miami and other points north as the perception that the worst has passed has taken hold.
I really believe that Mexico's problems are directly tied in to well intentioned government efforts to control corruption and drug traffic that basically did not work out as intended and in fact backfired which resulted in even greater efforts in the same direction with even worse results. It will take a while to put the genie back in the bottle but if it was done in Colombia I think it's also doable in Mexico. Mexican people have great resilience and they will get over this one too.

It will take a while to put the genie back in the bottle but if it was done in Colombia I think it's also doable in Mexico. Mexican people have great resilience and they will get over this one too.
Their methods are totally different. The Colombians largely defeated the drogistas and paramilatary groups they supported, whereas the Mexicans seem ready to cry "uncle." Thus, the results might be quite different too.

Ha

Their methods are totally different. The Colombians largely defeated the drogistas and paramilatary groups they supported, whereas the Mexicans seem ready to cry "uncle." Thus, the results might be quite different too.

Ha

My guess is that they will try a different methodology once the new president is in after elections in mid year. The PRI party ruled Mexico for many many years by basically incorporating all factions into an all encompassing "Mafia" based on favors and patronage. Some think that's the only workable system over there. Certainly the current PAN party approach doesn't seem to be getting anywhere but maybe it just needs much more time. After all the narco/guerrilla war in Colombia has been going on for about 50 years...

Back
Top Bottom