Expats in Mexico: is this accurate?

It astounds me that some people try to spend USD anywhere except the USA.

In our neighborhood upscale supermarket (such as they are here in Baku), my wife and I observed a stylish older Western woman (who we had never seen before) try to spend a Ben Franklin at the check stand. The poor check girl was terribly confused by this. I would have been, too. I would not have been as nice as the kid behind the counter was.

Taxi drivers here regularly get passengers who try to pay in various currencies. Sometimes they accept as they have little to lose. From time to time, as a courtesy to our favorite drivers, we buy euros, dollars and Scottish pounds from them, which we can use.

These vignettes show me how gentle and tolerant the Azeri people are and how many Western blockheads there are in the world.

MichaelB speaks sooth.

After spending an afternoon in Fred On Everything, I think I would enjoy Fred Reed and his family as neighbors (provided the wind was blowing his smoke away).

I think I would enjoy the occasional evening boozing with Fred. A neighbor? Well...

A separate thought:

Having resided for various lengths of time several places outside the US (and some unpleasant ones inside), I have the philosophy that I should never have things I could not walk away from in a minute, including real estate. As Dorothy said, "We aren't in Kansas anymore, Toto." DW knows this, too, but sometimes we do take risks.

Exceptions have been Canada and Denmark, but we do not always wind up in such nice, orderly places.

Having resided for various lengths of time several places outside the US (and some unpleasant ones inside), I have the philosophy that I should never have things I could not walk away from in a minute, including real estate. As Dorothy said, "We aren't in Kansas anymore, Toto." DW knows this, too, but sometimes we do take risks.
This is excellent advice. That, and keep your papers handy and up to date.
After spending an afternoon in Fred On Everything, I think I would enjoy Fred Reed and his family as neighbors (provided the wind was blowing his smoke away).
That all depends on what he is smoking...:D

Gypsy Ed, I do look forward to enjoying a glass of beer with you some day and sharing some stories.

Some people leave the US in search of a lower cost of living but also a different lifestyle. Others retire as expats looking for a lower cost of living but still want certain aspects of US living in their new expat location, including language and a sense of security. They are often disappointed. This has happened many times in the past, in Mexico and elsewhere, and will do so again in the future.

The lower cost of living is the product of a lower standard of living, greater poverty and much more political and economic volatility, and some expats are not prepared to deal with these. Hopefully they still have the resources to move on. It is very risky to relocate abroad when the motivation is cost of living and not lifestyle.

I've not followed Fred's blog but conclude from his columns that he enjoys his Mexican expat lifestyle. If that is the case, Ed the Gypsy is correct and he will find a way to remain. I think Mexico has great expat potential and the bigger risk (for expats) is not the crime rate but the increasing standard of living which will make expat life much more costly over time.

Truer words where never spoken! Those of us living in "catch up" economies know that "dollar parity" is our enemy and it is important to use this "now" to your LT economic advantage!

I also see "personal freedom" as a motivator among my "expat" acquaintances
as more people choose places where they can "fly below the radar".

[FONT=&quot]We had a drive-by shooting close to our neighborhood in Phoenix not that long ago and the chart for home invasion crime gets closer to our location every year. Sometimes people get shot at the traffic light 2 or 3 blocks from our house and we live in an upscale neighborhood. There has not been a mass exodus from our area due to these crimes. In fact, as Boomers age, our area in AZ continues to be an attraction, especially to the Canadians.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Years ago when we “semi-moved” to Chapala in 1993, it was a different sort of Expat who lived there. They were the characters, the ones who lived outside the box in many ways, and who were the adventurers and the pioneers. Most of them either knew Spanish or made a good go of it with the locals.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These days, 18 years later, it’s a new breed who is coming to Chapala. These people want a place “just like home only cheaper” without changing their lives much. They drive their new SUVs or their red Mercedes convertibles and wear their country club clothes and jewelry, don’t speak Spanish or try to, and they stand out gleamingly from the crowd and then wonder why they might be a target for theft or disingenuous locals.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There are so many of these types of Gringos now that the culture in the area has changed noticeably and in a way that is not necessarily for the best. Pricing has also gone up for daily goods and services (another topic).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]All of this being said, Billy and I have been traveling off the beaten track in Mexico and Central America continuously now for over 2 years and have not felt unsafe or threatened. Of course we use common sense.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We feel very safe in Mexico and our quality of life is rich. I’m not saying anyone should ignore these stories or be naïve about it, but I bet if you focused on anything negative you will surely find it.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Akaisha[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Author, Your Retirement Dream IS Possible
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Years ago when we “semi-moved” to Chapala in 1993, it was a different sort of Expat who lived there. They were the characters, the ones who lived outside the box in many ways, and who were the adventurers and the pioneers. Most of them either knew Spanish or made a good go of it with the locals.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These days, 18 years later, it’s a new breed who is coming to Chapala. These people want a place “just like home only cheaper” without changing their lives much.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
T'was ever thus......On the 11 year Saudi project I was associated with, (I was there for 7+ years), the 'originals' (I came a few years later at the earliest available opportunity), were a different breed from the 'gray people' who arrived later, and who wouldn't have considered being there from the outset...(when they arrived it was simply a transfer from one established office to another).

Just another revival of the history of the 'Old West' wherein there was no place for the pioneers when the lawyers and accountants arrived.

The other thing about Mexico is that they take pride in not planning for things. If you are used to a good municipal management, you will find those aspects of life frustrating. So it takes a certain kind of mentality who is used to or can adapt to rolling with the punches.

(Of course, lately that would seem to apply to legislaters in the US!)

...[FONT=&quot]These days, 18 years later, it’s a new breed who is coming to Chapala. These people want a place “just like home only cheaper” without changing their lives much. They drive their new SUVs or their red Mercedes convertibles and wear their country club clothes and jewelry, don’t speak Spanish or try to, and they stand out gleamingly from the crowd and then wonder why they might be a target for theft or disingenuous locals.
We drive a 1993 Ford Explorer. We have owned it since new and it has yet to top 100K miles. It is so common in this area that no one notices it. Not being noticed goes a long way. Like not wearing expensive jewelry.[/FONT]
...[FONT=&quot]All of this being said, Billy and I have been traveling off the beaten track in Mexico and Central America continuously now for over 2 years and have not felt unsafe or threatened. Of course we use common sense. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We feel very safe in Mexico and our quality of life is rich. I’m not saying anyone should ignore these stories or be naïve about it, but I bet if you focused on anything negative you will surely find it. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Author, Your Retirement Dream IS Possible[/FONT]
Nice to hear that your travels are still going well, Akaisha. You and Billy were an inspiration to us back when we were trying to decide whether to buy down here. I think it was about the time you were getting your place in Arizona.

[FONT=&quot]Kcowan[/FONT]
Not being noticed goes a long way. Like not wearing expensive jewelry.
[FONT=&quot]Exacto. It’s a different sort of lifestyle, not getting noticed. I’ve come to enjoy it – living incognito and not causing any waves or attention. No competition with what I own, what I drive, what I wear. No label clothing, no grand entrances to parties… Who woulda thought this could bring so much joy? ;-) And we are not targets for any theft or problems.[/FONT]

Nice to hear that your travels are still going well, Akaisha. You and Billy were an inspiration to us back when…
[FONT=&quot]Thank you. How kind to mention. We are just loving Guatemala and just went to a pig roast today for Christmas. Central America has such a warm emotional feel to it. Hope to travel on to other locales down here after the holidays. We feel so fortunate to still be able to travel and experience other cultures and are happy that we blend in and have had no issues with safety.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Best,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Author, Your Retirement Dream IS Possible[/FONT]

Been in PDC for 6 months now and have felt safe the whole time...know lots here now from Canada and US who have been here 1-9 years and none mention nefarious events outside of the local Pemex gas pump guys. They're the real crooks around here...

+1. I go to Central America several times a year. Always love going there.

[FONT=&quot]Central America has such a warm emotional feel to it. Hope to travel on to other locales down here after the holidays. [/FONT]

obgyn65
I go to Central America several times a year. Always love going there.
I believe I have read that you do volunteer work with the Maya here at Lake Atitlan, right? When is your next trip down?

Akaisha
Author, Your Retirement Dream IS Possible

+1. I go to Central America several times a year. Always love going there.

+ 1
Now that we've lived here for almost 6 months, we are going to visit Mahahual, Chiapas area, Oaxaca and the Baja on our way back to California.

We have made a lot of friends here and expect to come back in the future. Maybe even head down to Belize or Costa Rica.

+ 1
Now that we've lived here for almost 6 months, we are going to visit Mahahual, Chiapas area, Oaxaca and the Baja on our way back to California.

We have made a lot of friends here and expect to come back in the future. Maybe even head down to Belize or Costa Rica.
I don't understand. I thought you emigrated to Mexico. Is this not true?

Ha

I don't understand. I thought you emigrated to Mexico. Is this not true?

Ha

Kinda, we came to explore living here. The heat of the summer here is brutal, so we are going to visit California for the summer and reassess our long term plans. We may just spend 6-7 months in Latin America in various places... Who knows?

Today the LA Times ran an article with this headline and sub head.

In Mexico, extortion is a booming offshoot of drug war

Almost every segment of the economy and society, including businesses, teachers and priests, has been subjected to extortionists who exploit fear of cartels.

No mention of foreigners being extorted. Obviously the indirect effects hit everyone:

The number of Mexican businessmen transplanting themselves, and often their businesses, to the United States has grown enormously in the last five years, as measured by so-called investment visas issued by the U.S. government to wealthy Mexicans, and by the millions of dollars those Mexicans are investing in new enterprises north of the border.

In Acapulco, thousands of schoolteachers refused to report to their classrooms last fall after extortionists demanded that they fork over part of their salaries. The threats came in letters delivered to the teachers, on signs hung outside the schools and, in a few cases, from men who burst into schools. Much of the school system was paralyzed for months, until the federal government sent troops into the region.

So, expats in Mexico, how has this affected your life?

Not at all. Just more fearmongering by the highly biased media. Mexico still remains the number destination for US and Canadian citizens in spite of the efforts of the media to demonize Mexico.
Keith in PV

Back
Top Bottom