Join Early Retirement Today

Expert Opinions wanted
Old 12-02-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Expert Opinions wanted

Note to dear Forum Members: I asked the moderators if it was OK to post this before I did so. They were gracious enough to give me permission to post because they felt that it offered something that may be of interest to the forum community. (Thank you moderators!)
---
If my experience with the FIRE crowd has taught me one thing, it is that you guys don't hold back (much anyway). I am looking for a favor from anyone who has the time to help.

My new website on how to choose a place to live in retirement has just launched and I am looking for feedback from experts on the subject – you folks. It is in a less than perfect state (for example – Google Maps returns the wrong places), but you can get the idea. The kind of feedback I am looking for is – is it easy to use, is the right kind of info there, how could it be made more useful.

You can respond to me here, offline, or on the site itself in the Forum (there are 4 poll questions there, but unfortunately you have to be logged in to vote).

My "payment", in addition to the glory of giving me your opinions, is that you can download my new eBook for free – "Baby Boomers Guide to Choosing a Retirement Community – 16 Factors You Need to Consider". Thanks for your help!

The site – www.topretirements.com
The free Baby Boomers eBook: http://www.topretirements.com/topret...=Ebookdownload
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Expert Opinions wanted
Old 12-03-2006, 10:18 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some notes:
- In the "search for retirement communities" search tool, it is not clear what the user is supposed to input for "overall rating". Would anybody look for a community with a low rating? Probably best to eliminate this search criteria, and just display the ratings of the communities that are returned from the search.

- In the "search for retirement communities" search tool, it is not clear if selecting "planned communities-yes" is an additive function or if it would exclude non-planned communities. Recommend adding a "both planned and non-planned" selection. There's a similar issue with the "activities"--if I select "golf", will all entries without golf be screened out?

- Under "activities" consider adding a check-box for "General Aviation". "Fly-in" communities are growing in popularity. It is still a niche market, but might be worth adding.

- Transportation: I think many retirees who are considering moving away from their kids/family will want to know about the cost of air travel. This often boils down to figuring out if a major hub or a competitively serviced airport is within driving distance. Simply listing the distance to the nearest airport usually doesn't provide a whole lot of info about costs, especially if the airport is served by only a few carriers who can charge a lot. It might be useful to run a few quick searches for a set of standards sample destinations to see how the costs compare, then post a quick blurb on the results. This info would probably have to be reviewed every year or two. (Travelocity works okay, since you can tell it to look at all airports within a specified distance--most folks would be willing to drive 60-90 miles to pick up relatives travelling from out of state)

- I found the site easy to use. Content was sparse (e.g. no listings in the BEAUTIFUL state of Ohio!), but I anticipated that from your intro.

- From a "business plan" perspective, my guess is that the chalenge will be to keep folks coming to your site. After people pick a spot to retire, they will not likely come back to your site--doing so will increase cognitive dissonance, and people don't like that. So, somehow in the increasingly noisy infosphere, you'll need to get the word out about your site to folks who are thinking about relocating for retirement so you can get a constant flow of new participants. They'll likely come for a visit or two over a few weeks/months, then be gone. (For the same reson, I think keeping the discussion boards active will be a challenge. People will pop in, ask a few questions about a particular area, and be gone. Will anyone be interested enough to form a cadre of regular posters with a vested interest in keeping the boards interesting and in actually answering the questions posted?) Still, the folks you do get will have recurring needs (moving companies, referrals for all kinds of services when they relocate, eventual long term care concerns, etc). These are all potential markets for you, if you can find a way to push info to the popel who have stopped by your site, or to get them to come back periodically based on some enticement (e.g. new info posted on a subject in which they have expressed an interest, etc).

Good luck.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks Samclem,

Very insightful comments and very detailed. You make some excellent points for me to work on. I see that the Planned Communities (e.g.; Developments) concept is kind of hard to explain and differentiate from Cities, so i've got to work on that. Some of the other display ideas need some help too.

Many thanks to the other ER folks who visited and who also gave me feedback. At one point last week there was a problem with the mail function, so if anyone had trouble downloading the "Baby Boomers Guide..." that i promised let me know and i will send it to you.