Extended Furnished Accomodation in Florida?

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We are planning on spending about 6 months next year in the Jacksonville area to look around Florida. Why Jacksonville? Because that is where our Mail Forwarding Service is. Hense it is our current "official" US address. We travel out of the country a lot and we do not have another US residence. (Other than the odd hotel). We need to renew Driver's licenses etc.

I find it very difficult finding affordable FURNISHED locations to spend an extended period of time. I have checked the WEB and get numerous replies, but when I call them, the rates posted are for UNFURNISHED places, and furnished prices seem to start at $2000 per month for a 1 bed apartment. Apartments.com etc.

I did find an In Town Suites that goes for ~ $180 per week. That is a reasonable price. I am interested in more choices than just the one. There must be more, but I cannot find them. We would not mind even staying in a B&B type arrangement without the Breakfast, if someone would rent us their "Suite" or equivelent.

Where is the best place to find these types of abodes? Names and WEB address from experience would be great. We could even house sit for someone as we are very stable and reliable.

SWR

Try calling a local chain hotel and ask them what rate they would be willing to offer you if you were going to stay for months at a time. Most hotel managers would love that kind of guest.

SWR, I don't have an answer to your question. But why did you pick Florida? Don't they have a tax on total assets there? Wouldn't Texas, Washington, or Wyoming be a better choice?

What is a tax on total assets? It is just my wife an I and we have no dependents, and Florida is warm.

SWR

I had a good experience with the people at Ponte Vedra Club Realty - www.pvclubrealty.com 3 years ago when I first rented so that I can look for a permanent home in the Jacksonville area. This area is somewhat upscale but the beach area is terrific and it is convenient to all amenities. Also, try www.pontevedraflorida.com/rentals. I rented a furnished one bed room condo about 2 miles from the beach for $1000/month all utilities and cable paid for, 3 months commitment required. I found that atleast for me, living in a condo/home environment is more comfortable than a hotel or B&B place but to each his own.

You may have pick a somewhat challenging time to find accommodations in this area due to the Superbowl so if you want to hold off until early February, you may run across some bargains.

Also, as you have also noted, the intangible tax does not apply to cash banking accounts, CDs, Florida Munis or assets of non-residents.

Back
Top Bottom