Join Early Retirement Today

Extreme Minimalist Retires at Age 40
Old 09-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Extreme Minimalist Retires at Age 40

Peter says that extreme minimalism allowed him to retire at age 40. He lives in Northern California, in what most of us would call an empty apartment:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why not have a bed and a sofa? You can get those 2 things at an estate sale on the cheap. Outside of that, there are lot's of people who lead similar simple lives. Me.....I need a refrig full of med's and cable TV.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It's not that he can't afford to buy a bed or a sofa. He doesn't want a bed or a sofa. As he explains in the video, he used to have these things but decided to let go of them.

But meds and cableTV would be hard to let go for me too.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thank you for sharing. I find myself saying "I wish I could" over and over.

(ps: don't need cable TV but would have a hard time giving up my super comfortable bed)
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #5

Even with his lifestyle he probably spends more for rent than my entire budget. I don't have a lot more than he has. I do have a bed but I probably will never buy another one. It's the only bed I ever bought and it's 13 years old. I have a futon that I got for $100 13 years ago and it's the only piece of living room furniture i've ever purchased. He may have more clothing than I have. I've never worn or owned a suit or sports jacket. If I had a better income($40K/yr+) I could easily retire before the age of 40.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yea, that rent would be brutal, it is probably more than I have budgted for a pretty nice house equipped with a good set of solar panels, a decent amount of furniture, full set of appliances, a pet, a full set of gaming equipment, and some other things.

Where you live is probably the largest of all the controllable costs, and if you are retired, you are certainly not tied down to particular area. It not only effects housing costs, but also insurance, utilities, food costs, and most of all, taxes. The room might be almost empty but it might as well be filled the brim with the most expensive stuff he could find, the key isn't removing a few pieces of stuff, it is making smart lifestyle choices. There are other nice areas to live that would cost 1/5 as much, within the US.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I seemed to notice he lives alone.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #8

Interesting video; thank you for the reference.

A few years ago when my wife and I were in Paris we met an interesting Frenchman who invited us to see his tiny flat. He lived much the same way as Peter, although not quite as extreme. I recall admiring him, although personally I would not wish to live that way.

I can easily do without television (and have done for years), but for me books are an essential part of my happiness.

P.S. For a related YouTube video, search "Liveaboard life: minimalism In a tiny home at sea".

P.P.S. to Aaron: don't sweat it my friend, it's not a competition.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj View Post
I seemed to notice he lives alone.
Perhaps he lives with an empty chair.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Why is he paying extra for a living room he does not use?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #11

A lot of wisdom there. Thoreau would be proud.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

This man seems very happy and centered. He is not a hard sell to anyone else, merely trying to live the way that seems best to him.

I think he deserves our respect. He is definitely strong and fit!

Ha
Old 09-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #13

He did say he is living a minimalist life, not a cheap life.

One of the the few who found a purpose in life, and is living it.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Looking out the window he appears to be down on the San Mateo Peninsula somewhere. Hi rent district, but lovely in every way. These things are rarely discounted.

Ha
Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I think that the concept of minimalism has been corrupted. Minimalism is not just about getting rid of junk and living cheaply. It's about prioritizing your life and only keeping the physical/emotional/spiritual elements that bring value to you. So if living in stunning but expensive northern California adds value to Peter's life, it is not incompatible with his minimalist lifestyle. He says "I consider myself extremely blessed to be living in this part of the world and enjoy the beauty nature has to offer". So his present location clearly brings a lot of value to him.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #16

He stated some very wise things.

I couldn't help but wonder since he chooses to own so little and live so simply, why does he live in such a large condo or apartment?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
This man seems very happy and centered. He is not a hard sell to anyone else, merely trying to live the way that seems best to him.

I think he deserves our respect.
+ 1. I didn't hear him state or imply that other people should be more like him, or that those who choose a more material path are lesser human beings.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Even with his lifestyle he probably spends more for rent than my entire budget. I don't have a lot more than he has. I do have a bed but I probably will never buy another one. It's the only bed I ever bought and it's 13 years old. I have a futon that I got for $100 13 years ago and it's the only piece of living room furniture i've ever purchased. He may have more clothing than I have. I've never worn or owned a suit or sports jacket. If I had a better income($40K/yr+) I could easily retire before the age of 40.
If you really need a sport jacket/blazer, grab one at Goodwill for $10, then have it dry-cleaned for another $10.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

No family, no mortgage, tons of disposable income... go figure.

/<YAWN>
Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Awesome. I could not do it, but I admire what he's done.