Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Actually, for us it has worked out quite well. I retired 3+ years ago; DW is still "on the wheel" (her option - she planned on retiring same time as me but she found she was not "emotionally ready" at the last moment.)

Instead of trying to schedule vacation for both of us, I'm available on her schedule. I do much more "househusband" stuff than I ever did during our joint employment years (heck, I even have dinner ready for her when she comes home from the "salt mine").

We have no desire or plans to move in retirement. We've "retired in place" (at least me) and it works out well.

Just another opinion....
Very much the same story with DH and I. He planned to retire with me but, like your DW, decided to keep on keepin' on for a while. Since I've taken on more household chores, he's much less stressed.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
...A beer med, a shade tree, and a hammock...
Pretty much what I was thinking.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:25 AM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for all that responded. I truely appreciate the thoughts. I would have to ready sit down and think about my next steps. I like some of the ideas given. I thinks what I really miss is the social life (at work), the sense of achievement from works and the status. I do try to get back to work but it has been over year now, it is not easy to get back to the similar position. I actually do not mind with the lower pay. But some of the employers think that I'm over qualify for some jobs. While waiting to get a job( slim chance..)I would have to assume my life style as early retirement. I may end up to be....
Old 08-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

There is a crying need for volunteers to help solve local, national, and international problems. I joined Rotary International Club, which provides excellent opportunities for service as well as great social interaction; in our club, I choose to help with fundraising, Amber Alert registration, projects of various types in Latin America, and others. I also volunteer once a week at an organization to help young people who are learning Spanish; they just need someone to talk with and practice their Spanish. I stay active in my church, serving in various ways.

I also stay active physically. Two weeks ago, I hiked the Subway in Zion National Park, and last Saturday, I completed the Spudman Triathlon.

In addition, my wife and I love travel, so we have already signed up for a trip to Europe (starting at the end of this month) and another one to South America and the Antarctica (January 2011).

And I manage to get in a lot of time doing absolutely nothing (excepting watching TV, reading, hanging out with family, taking naps, etc.)!

So much to do, so little time to do it! Isn't life after FIRE the greatest?!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybee27 View Post
Thanks for all that responded. I truely appreciate the thoughts. I would have to ready sit down and think about my next steps. I like some of the ideas given. I thinks what I really miss is the social life (at work), the sense of achievement from works and the status. I do try to get back to work but it has been over year now, it is not easy to get back to the similar position. I actually do not mind with the lower pay. But some of the employers think that I'm over qualify for some jobs. While waiting to get a job( slim chance..)I would have to assume my life style as early retirement. I may end up to be....
is there some problem in your area or on the planet that drives you crazy?

maybe spend the rest of your life trying to solve it - set up a foundation - rent some office space - hire a flunky - be the boss lady of that - maybe go to your grave in 40 years with the pride of solving it, or starting the process

get involved with your local political organization and flash some money to establish status...work your way up the organization..run for something...smite evildoers or become an evil insider, depending on how you lean

use your financial surplus to step up your wardrobe and and doo and car to support your flagging ego...move to a bigger house

do you have a dog? or two or three?

some women are saved by horses and barn life

maybe read bio's of old money "dames" - get some ideas how to take advantage of your prosperity

start a small art gallery and develop some local artists as child substitutes (our child substitutes are four legged and furry)
Old 08-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Yeah those hammocks can take your mind off your old job !...

What hammock?!?

A month or so in, I miss one aspect of work. My friends. The called me from Las Vegas last week during what used to be our monthly trip down there for meetings. Obviously, I didn't get to go this time. They saw Cheap Trick. Last year we saw Twisted Sister's Christmas concert. I miss that stuff and talking to them everyday. Other than that, I don't miss it.

I do feel the need to do stuff, sometimes. Like I need something worthwhile to do. Honestly, I dismiss it. I know it is the way I had been programmed for the last few decades. It's habit. I am breaking that habit and I do what I want, when I want. to me now, that is worthwhile. thge whole world tells you that work is important for years. Without time to adjust and plan, it seems that "need" to do something worthwhile is still there. It's your mind set you need to change. It's time to live for you, not for the job.

On the other hand, maybe you aren't ready. Then get a job. Doesn't have to be high pressure, full-time or come with a big paycheck. Just something to give you a place to go. Still, I can imagine a lot of other places I would rather be than at a job.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Is that legal now?
Sure Doc
Now that you have retired you can do anything you want to.
We want tell anybody.
You can trust us.
Go Ahead, give it your best shot.
Steve
Old 08-06-2010, 04:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
What hammock?!?
They saw Cheap Trick. Last year we saw Twisted Sister's Christmas concert.
Man, who did you work for?
Most of the folks I worked with wouldn't even know who these bands were.
Sounds like a cool bunch of people/company that let you guys do things like that.

Anytime I find my self concerned about my decision to retire.
I just stop and think of the numerous things that really bummed me out at work.
The weak moment evaporates immediately and I get a warm fuzzy feeling and big smile on my face.
As I've mentioned before I think it took me 3 weeks to get the smile off my face after I walked out of the parking for the last time.
Steve
Old 08-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

an interesting retirement hobby might be to design a company that doesnt have those negative things...if that is possible

what would a company look like that people enjoyed going into, and didn't count the years or days to retirement?

its NEVER the work right? its wasteful BS and negative personalities, right?

by way of example, I once came across a firm in my field that had an unusual requirement for new hires...they had to demonstrate and declare on a document that they were "happy" people.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
They saw Cheap Trick. Last year we saw Twisted Sister's Christmas concert. I miss that stuff and talking to them everyday. Other than that, I don't miss it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Most of the folks I worked with wouldn't even know who these bands were.

Steve
You say that like it's a bad thing...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #31

Quote:
You say that like it's a bad thing...
I guess I can't imagine working for people/company that was somewhat hip.
I haven't had that opportunity in probably 35 years.
Didn't know it existed today.
Steve

PS. I'm happy I'm free from my X environment.
Just got to continue to loosen up and try to revive my old long hair hippie attitude I had in a past life. It will take time but I'll get there.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

went to a local organic farmers market this sunday and had an early 70s hippy flashback - ponchos, beards, communes, gardens, rural living, baking granola and bread from scratch

like when I visit our local vegetarian restaurant...very nice vibe

big tree fell down in my side yard day before last....wood cleared out yesterday...eyeing it for a possible garden
Old 08-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
I guess I can't imagine working for people/company that was somewhat hip.
I haven't had that opportunity in probably 35 years.
Didn't know it existed today.
Steve

PS. I'm happy I'm free from my X environment.
Just got to continue to loosen up and try to revive my old long hair hippie attitude I had in a past life. It will take time but I'll get there.
Not sure I'd consider Cheap Trick or Twisted Sister as "hip"...

One should definitely cultivate their inner hippie! In my case, most of the hair is gone, though.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One should definitely cultivate their inner hippie!
Yeah baby!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hippiecat.jpg (42.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
IMO - it's not nearly as much fun to be retired if your spouse is still working. That really constrains what you can do - like you can't really move, and your spouse is not available to travel with you, etc.
With your lifestyle, I can certainly see that. But some couples aren't really much into travel, for example, and there it can work well, particularly if one spouse has a good enough j*b and benefits while the other does most of the housework and runs most of the errands.

My wife will likely be placed in a congregation for a ministry training program within the next few months. If that works out I fully intend to retire before her (perhaps in 5-10 years) and become a "preacher's wife" (among other things) -- and it would be with her blessing (or so she says now)...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

My wife will likely be placed in a congregation for a ministry training program within the next few months. If that works out I fully intend to retire before her (perhaps in 5-10 years) and become a "preacher's wife" (among other things) -- and it would be with her blessing...
God I hope so or there will be Hell to pay.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Not sure I'd consider Cheap Trick or Twisted Sister as "hip"...

One should definitely cultivate their inner hippie! In my case, most of the hair is gone, though.
You have a point But:
If the folks I worked with Had no clue about these groups, they were totally lost when and if I went back any further.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I can identify with all this. I am comfortably FIRE, age 56, but I haven't pulled the trigger because:

a) my wife is 54 and still enjoys her job, one of us working one retired, doesn't have much appeal (I'll get stuck doing all the cooking, I like our lifelong 50/50 deal just fine) and
b) I cannot sit around watching TV, playing golf, drinking too much or laying in a hammock for long - all sound more boring than work to me. NOT commenting on anyone's else's choices.

And I can't imagine filling all my days with activities or volunteering either. [Interestingly, I did the Zelinski Get-A-Life Tree exercise (highly recommmended IMO) and decided to start on some of the new activities now - why wait until I retire?]

So I fully expect to continue to work, but at something that's purely for the enjoyment/satisfaction, instead of something that's just the best paying gig I can get (what I do now). Some of us are just happier with structured work - just knowing I can walk anytime thanks to FI is "priceless" in a way I could not fathom until we actually arrived, it's bliss.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Not much mention of the kids in this thread. Every 47 year old woman that I know with children is playing a big role in getting helping their kids with college applications, high school sports or academic booster clubs, and general black hawk helicoptering around. I wonder if Happybee27 would like to comment about all that.

Then soon after kids complete college, come the grandkids. Many 47 year-old women are grandmas. That leads on to another rewarding stage of life.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I can identify with all this. I am comfortably FIRE, age 56, but I haven't pulled the trigger because:

a) my wife is 54 and still enjoys her job, one of us working one retired, doesn't have much appeal (I'll get stuck doing all the cooking, I like our lifelong 50/50 deal just fine) and
b) I cannot sit around watching TV, playing golf, drinking too much or laying in a hammock for long - all sound more boring than work to me. NOT commenting on anyone's else's choices.

And I can't imagine filling all my days with activities or volunteering either. [Interestingly, I did the Zelinski Get-A-Life Tree exercise (highly recommmended IMO) and decided to start on some of the new activities now - why wait until I retire?]

So I fully expect to continue to work, but at something that's purely for the enjoyment/satisfaction, instead of something that's just the best paying gig I can get (what I do now). Some of us are just happier with structured work - just knowing I can walk anytime thanks to FI is "priceless" in a way I could not fathom until we actually arrived, it's bliss.
Sorry for the delay in responding. I was lying in my hammock, drinking and watching golf on TV.

I'm with Brewer on this one. Get a job. See if that fills the emptiness. If not, quit again. But it sounds like you went from one extreme to another, without getting in the proper mindset for it. Ease into ER at the pace you are comfortable with. Some of us are naturals at sloth and non-productiveness. Others need to train for it. Good luck.