Join Early Retirement Today

Re: FI and dating
Old 07-30-2006, 11:45 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge
I was wondering how single people who have achieved FI handle precious metals excavators? Sometimes it feels like FI means that you have to be doubly and triply paranoid about who you date. The last single young female that I worked with had "Here comes the answer to all of my [self-inflicted] financial problems!" painted with bright neon letters on her forehead
I'm not FI yet, but I had one lady tell me that she needed a new, preferably luxury car. I crossed my fingers and ran the other way.

Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2006, 08:21 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Through out my adult life the first rule has always been:

Only date women who have a career.

* modified lately to : Only date women who have a career or the means to support their own lifestyle.

After this 'primary directive' one must look at the "baggage"* each of us carries in one form or another.

At my age (Boomer), 'deal braker' baggage includes:
* * * *a* *no pension or portfolio
* * * *b* *offspring facing college without funding
* * * *c* * not getting LYMB

Did I miss something here ?

Oh yeah, at this age a reasonably decent looking man, in good health, and FI holds all the 'cards' .. no need* to jump through the hoops we had to during earlier phases of life (20 & 30 somethings take note)

Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:20 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Rancher
Through out my adult life the first rule has always been:

Only date women who have a career.

* modified lately to : Only date women who have a career or the means to support their own lifestyle.

After this 'primary directive' one must look at the "baggage"* each of us carries in one form or another.

At my age (Boomer), 'deal braker' baggage includes:
* * * *a* *no pension or portfolio
* * * *b* *offspring facing college without funding
* * * *c* * not getting LYMB

Did I miss something here ?

Oh yeah, at this age a reasonably decent looking man, in good health, and FI holds all the 'cards' .. no need* to jump through the hoops we had to during earlier phases of life (20 & 30 somethings take note)
DITTO for the FI ladies! Also, must not be into get rich quick schemes with my money! Got close to that fire once... Did not get singed though!
Old 07-31-2006, 10:33 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie
DITTO for the FI ladies!* Also, must not be into get rich quick schemes with my money!* Got close to that fire once...* Did not get singed though!
Agree it works both ways. A very good list from Ol_Rancher. I believe the issue (risk) is exacerbated with 50somethings and 60somethings because those without FI at that point come to recognize they waited way too long to get FI and their options have essentially run out. Catching a big fish becomes more critical.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 AM   #45

I have an acquaintance who's a major gold digger in addition to being eyecandy material. *She's managed to rope two husbands along with numerous boyfriends (all with substantial money, of course). She managed to accumulate BIG diamond rings, a paid for, fully furnished house in a toney part of the silicon valley, a new lexus, lots o' plastic surgery, trips to exotic places etc. *Her children attend private school and she has a nanny. *This woman has never worked a real job in her life nor went to college.* Oh and she's 40 years old. * *My point is with all of this info from you forum men, there are apparently lots of men out there who fall for the eyecandy/gold digger thing. * *I will never understand the inner workings of men.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:42 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
This woman has never worked a real job in her life nor went to college.* Oh and she's 40 years old. * *My point is with all of this info from you forum men, there are apparently lots of men out there who fall for the eyecandy/gold digger thing. *
Yes, but has she found true happiness in her life, or just a series of meaningless oversexed flings?

Would you happen to have her contact info so that I could inquire personally?

Quote:
I will never understand the inner workings of men.
The difference between women & men on that issue is that we make no attempt to understand our inner workings.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:53 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, c'mon Rat! I'm gonna get two for one here, answering your question and giving my nomination for the worst sci-fi movie ever made.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:57 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:07 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I think my brother was one of those "millionaires in three years" at age 21.* He was going to retire at age 24.* To quote him: "Anyone who accepts less than 16% on any investment is an idiot.* You can easily get 16% risk free." circa 1999* (Yes, he's still working, doing construction instead of tech work, at age 28 - no investments to mention last I talked to him).
Of course he has no investments... it is difficult to find those 16% risk free ones laying around....
Old 07-31-2006, 02:16 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Of course he has no investments... it is difficult to find those 16% risk free ones laying around....
Ha, damn Im happy with a solid 8 percent. In fact I do a little jig with a solid 8 percent. Guess it doesnt take much to make me happy.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:39 PM   #51

Quote:
My point is with all of this info from you forum men, there are apparently lots of men out there who fall for the eyecandy/gold digger thing. I will never understand the inner workings of men.
If I had a 10+ million portfolio, I wouldn't mind buying little sweet candy as long as I am smart enough to avoid expensive cavities.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
She managed to accumulate BIG diamond rings, a paid for, fully furnished house in a toney part of the silicon valley, a new lexus, lots o' plastic surgery, trips to exotic places etc. *Her children attend private school and she has a nanny. *This woman has never worked a real job in her life nor went to college.
Just goes to show that you don't need a college eduction to be a shrewd entrepreneur!*

Quote:
My point is with all of this info from you forum men, there are apparently lots of men out there who fall for the eyecandy/gold digger thing. *
Well, "good looks/physique" = "desirable partner" used to be a basic rule in the game of procreation. It's not nearly as simple any more, but it's still highly exploitable.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:57 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Two words: Boobies.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:00 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Two words:* Boobies.
I think CFB was trying to illustrate how higher brain functions (like math) are affected by a severe reduction of blood flow*
Old 07-31-2006, 04:49 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Or maybe it's because all those "16% investments" went belly up. Now on a reduced income as a non-union construction worker sole breadwinner supporting 3 kids, a live in girlfriend, and a mortgage, there isn't anything left to invest.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:16 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Cuberat,

The definitive work on this subject is 'Dave Barry's Guide to Guys'. Pretty insightful, actually. Look for it in used bookstores.

[Modified 1 Aug becuz I kant spel.]
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:39 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
Agree it works both ways. A very good list from Ol_Rancher. I believe the issue (risk) is exacerbated with 50somethings and 60somethings because those without FI at that point come to recognize they waited way too long to get FI and their options have essentially run out. Catching a big fish becomes more critical.
Isn't this the point when that 23-year-old "niece" comes in handy? She could care less about FI.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:41 AM   #58

Quote:
I have an acquaintance who's a major gold digger in addition to being eyecandy material. She's managed to rope two husbands along with numerous boyfriends (all with substantial money, of course). She managed to accumulate BIG diamond rings, a paid for, fully furnished house in a toney part of the silicon valley, a new lexus, lots o' plastic surgery, trips to exotic places etc. Her children attend private school and she has a nanny. This woman has never worked a real job in her life nor went to college. Oh and she's 40 years old. My point is with all of this info from you forum men, there are apparently lots of men out there who fall for the eyecandy/gold digger thing. I will never understand the inner workings of men.

Wow, a 40-year-old gold digger. I know for a fact that you can get two 20s for a lot less than private school education and a lexus.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:07 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, but 20 goes into 40 a lot more than 40 goes into 20...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Yeah, but 20 goes into 40 a lot more than 40 goes into 20...
Which no doubt explains the wealth of sweet things like cube rat's acquaintance.