Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

FI but enjoyable works keeps you going OMY
Old 09-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyfrank232 View Post
Work is perfect for me because it fulfils me socially, engages me intellectually and has no goal or defined endpoint. Getting paid is just a symptom of the work. It’s the perfect “hobby” forme
This quote from "Hello I am.." stimulated a thought for me. Is this perhaps why some people keep working beyond FI. As long as you have no burning desire to travel or relocate, why not keep working at a day job that you enjoy? Or even take up another lucrative vocation?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
This quote from "Hello I am.." stimulated a thought for me. Is this perhaps why some people keep working beyond FI. As long as you have no burning desire to travel or relocate, why not keep working at a day job that you enjoy? Or even take up another lucrative vocation?
There are many reasons to keep working. The one you quoted is one. If you love what you do... why not keep doing it.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:39 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yup. I never hated my actual working work, my last say, 30 years or so. Great people, interesting engineering problems and I executed solutions. Well paid. But I was getting tired of being on a schedule, the amount of non work related regulatory BS, and that feeling of “time is running out” to do things. I can see myself taking on some short term (few months) projects in say 2-3 years, if I get to do the “work”.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:01 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I loved my job and never thought I would work till I dropped. What I got tired of was the politics and all the scheduling time line commitments.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Yup. I never hated my actual working work, my last say, 30 years or so. Great people, interesting engineering problems and I executed solutions. Well paid. But I was getting tired of being on a schedule, the amount of non work related regulatory BS, and that feeling of “time is running out” to do things. I can see myself taking on some short term (few months) projects in say 2-3 years, if I get to do the “work”.
I didn't retire until I was within 2 months of hitting 70, for the same reasons. I was also self employed during the last 22 years and could control my own schedule, including working remotely during winter months, while enjoying satisfying and interesting work and significant income. I considered myself blessed.

Edit: I should also add that I was not working 40 hours a week for the last 10 years operating my business. Had I needed to put in 40 or more hours, I probably would have retired sooner. I thought of this situation as "coasting to retirement".
Old 09-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #6

It makes perfect sense to me.

The problem with my job is that it leaves no time for anything else.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
The great thing about FI is that you can do what makes you happy.

Some folks have work that makes them happy.

When I retired, I was asked to go back and help them out. For a year, I worked 2 days, 16 hours. Since I was basically doing only the "fun" parts of my prior job with none of the administrivia and poltics, I enjoyed it a lot. I would do it again if the situation were right. If our small company had never been acquired by a Megacorp (when it all started to go downhill), I probably would have stayed longer. When we were independent, I enjoyed the work and my coworkers. I despised the new Megacorp.

My wife retired in April. She is now working part time in a local boutique wine and Italian food shop. She enjoys the people, the prep, the cooking, and is having a great time with it.

I know people here get a kick out of writing "w*rk" and looking down on people who continue working, but clearly they are not representative of the vast majority of people outside of early retirement forums. Some people hate their current job, but not everyone hates working.

When you don't have to work for the income, it opens up a lot of enjoyable possibilities.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #8

For now, it's challenging and enjoyable from a job standpoint along with greater security (need to embrace withdraw and spending). I enjoy a few of my coworkers so the social aspect is addressed. The golden handcuffs of good salary, bonus, options, and RSUs every 6 to 12 months is working as intended.

Personal circumstances apply to: just turned 50 with limited social circle/activities outside of work, young school age kids which limits travel, family member with health issues that require good/affordable healthcare, enjoy the structure of full weeks however 4 day work weeks would be better.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
It seems to be a common thread that the work itself is often fine but the surrounding politics is what drives people crazy. That seems to encourage contract work where no attendance at meeting is required.

I have three friends who have developed into published authors as retirement pursuits. In each case, their shortcoming was insufficient marketing. Kind of like an inventor who lacks marketing skills.

Maybe all those retired marketing types need to provide mentoring services to writers, artists, inventors and chefs?
Old 09-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I found a new career in retirement teaching a online college class. Sadly after 7 years it’s ending in December. It’s been very fun.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

If work is enjoyable and still allows you to do the things you want to do, I don’t see any reason to stop just because you can. In fact, doing so could be hazardous to your health. A friend of mine is very concerned about the rapid mental deterioration of his parents. Both are in their early 70’s and have been retired for a decade. When they retired both decided to spend their days dong nothing and it is taking its toll
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:00 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

DW and I are both semi-retired. She works about10 hours a week and I work less then 20. We both enjoy the work but are glad it is part time. Both of us work mainly from home, so we have a lot of flexibility. We have agreed that when w*rk gets in the way, we will fully retire. But right now, we have a son in college about an hour away and an older dog who does not travel well. We are taking advantage of the extra non-work time to get in better shape and have a lot less stress. I have already decided to spend next summer working from our lake house.
lakerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
It seems to be a common thread that the work itself is often fine but the surrounding politics is what drives people crazy.
Maybe 10 or so years ago there was a thread on "Why did you retire?" and the thing that struck me about it was how few people retired because they disliked or even hated their jobs. Most, like me, actually enjoyed their jobs. Why would these people retire?

What made the majority retire was poor management (and that's being nice about it) horrible commutes, sometimes office politics, sometimes one real jerk of a boss. But hardly ever did someone retire because they didn't like their job anymore. Kinda sad.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:31 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Maybe 10 or so years ago there was a thread on "Why did you retire?" and the thing that struck me about it was how few people retired because they disliked or even hated their jobs. Most, like me, actually enjoyed their jobs. Why would these people retire?

What made the majority retire was poor management (and that's being nice about it) horrible commutes, sometimes office politics, sometimes one real jerk of a boss. But hardly ever did someone retire because they didn't like their job anymore. Kinda sad.

“Thank you, sir, may I have another?”

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #15

The way I always looked at it is if I woke up in the morning and put together a list of the 10 things I wished I could do today where would work be on that list. For me most of the time I had no problem coming up with things I would rather do than go to work. Even in retirement the things I really enjoy doing (golf, hike, woodworking, reading, etc.) I could never spend 40+ hours/week on any one of them, I get bored and need variety.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
The way I always looked at it is if I woke up in the morning and put together a list of the 10 things I wished I could do today where would work be on that list. For me most of the time I had no problem coming up with things I would rather do than go to work.

+1, same here. I think a lot of people (especially those with few outside hobbies/interests) are basically on "autopilot", where it's easier to just keep working than try to figure out how you would spend your time in retirement. I'm assuming here that the job is not horrible. I enjoyed many (not all) aspects of my job, but I certainly wouldn't choose to keep going to work and doing those things until I was very elderly, to the exclusion of all of the other activities I enjoy. And then there is the scheduling issue, as others have said. Trying to fit in all the activities I enjoy during the weekends was just not working for me anymore - not nearly enough time!
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:51 AM   #17
gone traveling

The ideal scenario would be where I truly enjoyed the commute, my job, the people I work with, and the stimulating work that I do. If you could work full time until 70 Y.O., you would a far bigger pot of gold to play with....(i'm 2 of 4 in this case)

Unfortunately, the folks that do this tend to live shorter lives, and have trouble transitioning to a non-working life because their identity was their career.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

+1 Exactly!

Not just jerk bosses, but also jerk co-w*rkers. Never imagined this at the beginning of my career, but the nature of the j*b changed. The heavy layoffs and constant off-shoring created a climate of fear and competitiveness among some that made the j*b miserable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
The way I always looked at it is if I woke up in the morning and put together a list of the 10 things I wished I could do today where would work be on that list. For me most of the time I had no problem coming up with things I would rather do than go to work. Even in retirement the things I really enjoy doing (golf, hike, woodworking, reading, etc.) I could never spend 40+ hours/week on any one of them, I get bored and need variety.

Yep, I too enjoy doing a bunch of things in my own time, but it's great to be able to start, and equally important, stop, just when I want. Occasionally, folks will ask why we don't do some of our hobbies professionally. Well, it would be too much w*rk! We know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
+1, same here. I think a lot of people (especially those with few outside hobbies/interests) are basically on "autopilot", where it's easier to just keep working than try to figure out how you would spend your time in retirement. I'm assuming here that the job is not horrible. I enjoyed many (not all) aspects of my job, but I certainly wouldn't choose to keep going to work and doing those things until I was very elderly, to the exclusion of all of the other activities I enjoy. And then there is the scheduling issue, as others have said. Trying to fit in all the activities I enjoy during the weekends was just not working for me anymore - not nearly enough time!

I too lived for my weekends and evenings. Was sleep deprived for all of my w*rking life trying to fit in both the j*b and my stuff. Now we sleep very well, wake up rested, and get on with our lives.