Join Early Retirement Today

Finally entering retirement
Old 01-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Today is finally my last day.

Thank you everyone on this board for your wisdom during the time I lurked and then joined. I'm not sure I ever would have had the confidence to pull the trigger and stop OMY'ing without reading about all of your experiences and taking your advice.

It's great to have a place to share these experiences with those that understand and are really positive about it.

I gave about three weeks notice and looking back probably could have given a week less. It was interesting telling my boss and seeing the change in him, from shock in the first few minutes, to acceptance in the next few, to "I've moved on and what is my plan?" in the last few. It was also interesting to have my opinion go from critical to worthless in just a few days. I knew it was coming, but it is a good reminder that the world definitely goes on without us. My advice is to give the least amount of notice possible. People move on pretty quickly in most cases.

I've read a lot on the site about the reactions of others so I was curious how it would be here. Overall, people have been very positive. I haven't gotten any negativity and I appreciate that. A few said the were jealous, a few asked for my financial advisor's name and the rest just said that they were happy for me.

I didn't want an event, but am having drinks with some people tonight. When I said I didn't want anything I had someone come into my office and use an interesting comparison. He asked "is a funeral really for the dead person"? I got it and I guess I should be happy that people are interested in getting together.

I now feel like a complete beginner again, this time in the art of spending down our nest egg. I had the saving part down; staring to spend feels really alien to me. Is this normal?

I can't wait for Sunday night when I realize it is really Saturday night every day. Thanks again everyone for helping me get here.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulation!
Enjoy your well earned freedom.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #3

Enjoy your last day!
Old 01-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #4

Congratulations, Willers.

Like you, I didn't want a formal lunch, whatever... but did meet friends at a brewery tasting room that was across the street from my work, after I'd loaded my car at the end of the day.

Decumulation is defintely a change of mindset. You'll adapt...

Congratulations on starting this new phase of your life.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #5
Administrator

Congratulations!

Yes, it's a little weird to be spending from one's nestegg instead of adding to it. But I think you'll get used to it soon.

Every day's a Saturday when you're retired. Glad you are enjoying it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
Today is finally my last day.

It was also interesting to have my opinion go from critical to worthless in just a few days. .
+1... I gave 4 months notice and immediately became invisible to corporate and eventually to the people that worked for me. It was fascinating to see all the politics and jockeying for position with the incoming manager. Reinforced the fact that everyone had an agenda. Mostly harmless and just wanting to stay relevant and safe.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats! Enjoy your last day and the beginning of the rest of your life!
Old 01-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #8

Congratulations on finally getting here!

Since you've given three weeks notice, why not go out on as high a note as you can? I retired last year, my boss actually gave a party for me, and I was surprised at how many people showed up from all over the organization. I was even more surprised at how moved I was that people thought that much of me. In the end, it's the relationships we have that matter.

As to decumulation, I did two things last year (one inadvertent, the other not) that really helped me transition into spending without income. One, I had overestimated a remodeling project and therefore didn't have to withdraw from my PF all year. This really helped psychologically with being retired and yet not taking PF withdrawals.

Second, I had specifically changed my AA to 40/60 to lessen the impact of a negative SOR and to increase the probability of having a SWAN PF (based on my own risk tolerance estimation) in the event the stock market did what it is now doing. Consequently, my PF has been minimally impacted by recent market events and decumulating is much easier.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #9

Congratulations! My husband also just retired yesterday. He didn't want an event either.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #10

Quote:

I now feel like a complete beginner again, this time in the art of spending down our nest egg. I had the saving part down; staring to spend feels really alien to me. Is this normal?
I am not comfortable with the idea of spending down either, but I stumbled into a CD ladder that should meet my needs for awhile.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #11

Congratulations!
Old 01-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #12

Yay!
Old 01-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! I retired a year ago today.

It's been great and I haven't looked back. The first few months were new and a bit odd not having to go to the office, but in the last few months a new normal is beginning to form. I'm finally rested and pursuing interests.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #14

Way to go Willers! Enjoy the drinks and enjoy Sunday night!
Old 01-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #15

It is definitely a change but you'll get used to it. And the "every day is Saturday" is something you're going to like. A lot.

And if you get a lot of snow, not having to go out in it if you don't want to is a huge plus.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats.... One more week for me.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I can't wait for Sunday night when I realize it is really Saturday night every day. Thanks again everyone for helping me get here.
It took my about a year to get the impending doom that the clicking tock used to signal every Sunday evening on "60 Minutes".
Old 01-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! Now the fun begins :-) Gotta love those Saturdays!
Old 01-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #19

to quote Fred Flintstone, "Yabba Dabba DOO!!!!"
Old 01-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #20

Congrats! You are going to love Monday mornings. 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum