Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Finally Free
Old 07-17-2006, 09:00 PM   #41
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congrats!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2006, 09:55 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations and enjoy the rest of your life!

Old 08-25-2006, 12:45 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

What a relief!* We've* now been in our Oregon home for 2 weeks.* We bought this house 2 years ago and own it free and clear from proceeds of the refinance of the home that we just sold in San Diego. This is the first time we've been mortgage free since we first became homeowners.

So far, my wife and I are much happier after leaving the hectic pace in Southern California.* We drove to the Cascades yesterday and were* pleasantly* surprised that there was such little traffic. We could drive several miles without ever* seeing another car.* The rivers and lakes are magnificent.

East San Diego County schools started on Monday and I'm* now better able to appreciate not having to be in the classroom again with 34 students.* I feel like I'm much more in control of my life since I'm no longer a* wage slave.* Freedom is so much more precious than money.

We feel both fortunate and grateful that we were able to sell our home close to the listing price.* Our house was the only one to sell in our neighborhood in the past two months. We've noticed on realtor.com that* three of the eight houses for sale in our development have recently lowered their asking price.* Homeowners are finally beginning to realize that the market is not what it was a year ago.

Early retirement is great.* It's nice not to have to have to pack my lunch at night* and* go to bed dreading the inevitable moment that my alarm clock will finally trigger the end of my slumber.* However,* I have to admit that I do feel a bit awkward when people ask me what I do for a living and* I respond with, "I'm retired."

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:24 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Retire Soon,

Sounds absolutely fantastic. I'm a little envious yet inspired. Keep us posted on the good life in the Pacific NW.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:19 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon
What a relief! We've now been in our Oregon home for 2 weeks. We bought this house 2 years ago and own it free and clear from proceeds of the refinance of the home that we just sold in San Diego. This is the first time we've been mortgage free since we first became homeowners.

So far, my wife and I are much happier after leaving the hectic pace in Southern California. We drove to the Cascades yesterday and were pleasantly surprised that there was such little traffic. We could drive several miles without ever seeing another car. The rivers and lakes are magnificent.

East San Diego County schools started on Monday and I'm now better able to appreciate not having to be in the classroom again with 34 students. I feel like I'm much more in control of my life since I'm no longer a wage slave. Freedom is so much more precious than money.

We feel both fortunate and grateful that we were able to sell our home close to the listing price. Our house was the only one to sell in our neighborhood in the past two months. We've noticed on realtor.com that three of the eight houses for sale in our development have recently lowered their asking price. Homeowners are finally beginning to realize that the market is not what it was a year ago.

Early retirement is great. It's nice not to have to have to pack my lunch at night and go to bed dreading the inevitable moment that my alarm clock will finally trigger the end of my slumber. However, I have to admit that I do feel a bit awkward when people ask me what I do for a living and I respond with, "I'm retired."

I get to go back to NJ for 16 weeks next week to finish my last teaching year in Newark NJ!

We are already down in NC sold our place in May, looks like it was the last to sell in the neighborhood!!

We have a small 40K mortgage, so I will probably spend a small time doing some part time work for the next 50 years of my life. I have a High school track coaching job lined up for next spring already.

Congrats on your move. By the way I talked to my Dept Chair yesterday and he told me I have 175 on my roll in 5 classes. Wondaful, he does not know i am leaving December yet. Papers went in a few days ago.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:56 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888

We are already down in NC sold our place in May, looks like it was the last to sell in the neighborhood!!
Your house may have been the most recent to sell, but it won't be the last. Housing markets react slowly to changes in market conditions compared to, say, equity markets. But they do react. Market forces will eventually bring it all to equilibrium. They always do!
Old 08-25-2006, 02:52 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Your house may have been the most recent to sell, but it won't be the last. Housing markets react slowly to changes in market conditions compared to, say, equity markets. But they do react. Market forces will eventually bring it all to equilibrium. They always do!
Indeed.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:03 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

newguy888,

Congratulations on successfully reaching your goals. Selling your NJ home and moving to NC was a big accomplishment. You only have a few months left with your teaching career in NJ, then you'll be gone. You can probably see a lot of light at the end of the tunnel. Your remaining time will go fast and you'll probably really enjoy it, because you're almost at the finish line. Your classes are really packed like California. I always had 34 students for one class.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote