Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2015, 09:13 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice photos & peaceful settings! I've only rented plastic kayaks at Tumon Bay on Guam - very different.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 11:31 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Cool!!! A yak thread. This is Green River, Kentucky. I mostly kayak around Pensacola and Navarre Florida, but there is no one with a camera there.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:19 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not sure if I posted this here or on MMM, but it's good enough for a repost. A sunset paddle in the BC Gulf Islands, with the U.S. San Juans in the distance. A kayaking paradise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (571.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
I have a canoe, two touring (skirted) kayaks, a tandem glass touring kayak (for sale), a whitewater kayak, and a custom built surf kayak. I've been kayaking since 91. All that being said, don't judge kayaking by the rentals out there. They are entry level, very inefficient but stable. They will work for a short trip but for a day long paddle or a paddle with others, you will want a good kayak with an even better paddle--carbon fiber bent shaft. buying the best can be expensive if bought new but used are often half price or less. like my EDDYLINE WhisperLite tandem was over $3000 new without paddles/skirts/pfd's.
One other view: while there can be major differences in kayaks if you were looking at a $500 model vs a $2,000 model vs $4,000 model (less spreads if you buy used), don't forget perhaps the biggest bang for your buck impact: the paddle.

If you are just putzing around, floating down the river leisurely, paddling at a slow pace every now and then, that's one thing - but if you are expecting to do a lot of paddling, the paddle can give you a bigger impact for the money.

A carbon fiber, top of the line paddle will run about $400, but it's SUBSTANTIALLY lighter than a $50 or $100 paddle. And if you're swinging that thing thousands of times, it will be a far greater impact for the $200-$300 difference compared to spending $200-$300 more on a kayak. And you will notice the difference.

Of course, as with the choice of kayak material, you have to look at your intended use. If you have lots of rocks and rough areas you will be paddling around, a carbon fiber paddle - while durable - has some more exposure to damage if you really rough it up and abuse it.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I'm going to try kayaking when I get to Orcas island. This looks like a lot of fun. Probably need a dry suit to go with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcasIslandBound View Post
I think I'm going to try kayaking when I get to Orcas island. This looks like a lot of fun. Probably need a dry suit to go with it.

I'd be happy to show the ropes. As I am typing this on my iPad I am looking across to Orcas Island from the Canadian side of the watery border.

I've been paddling the waters around here for almost 30 years and never found reason to buy a dry suit.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Love paddling in the San Juan Islands too!

Got out again with ladies from the neighborhood. Played a bit in the local lagoon.
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1445732670.562650.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1445732721.480219.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-24-2015, 10:26 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This reminds me I need to buy a kayak and get back out on the water.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:50 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Excellent! But isn't the water up there really cold? I'll take you up on your offer Sea Kayaker!

Old 10-25-2015, 07:12 AM   #30

I can't wait to get back on my kayak - when the weather gets better

Old 10-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcasIslandBound View Post
Excellent! But isn't the water up there really cold? I'll take you up on your offer Sea Kayaker!

The water is indeed COLD. But the point of the exercise is to remain upright in your kayak so that you don't encounter the frigid Salish Sea of the San Juan/Gulf Islands. This means knowing excellent bracing techniques! If you plan on practising your wet exits, capsize recoveries, and eventually rolls in the ocean, yes a dry suit would not be a bad idea. I occasionally brush up these skills in local indoor pool workshops - kayaking is so popular here that many community pools open up for kayakers to come practice Eskimo rolls and such things in nice, non-hypothermia inducing water temperatures. It's a blast.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets

Folding Kayaks are worth a look for sea kayaking - folks have taken these across the Atlantic as they are extremely stable and ability to add a sail. I am currently adapting a Klepper Sail to my Pouch Kayak.

I found a new old stock Pouch imported by Sevylor for 50% discount a long time ago from Sierra Trading Post and later a Klepper Sail on E-bay.

Not a boat for River currents or rocky bottoms but I'm pure lake/ocean (sea kayaker) and always wanted a Kayak I could sail. Folding kayak is great to fish out of and options to mount electric motor is available so you really have multi-purpose boat. Very stable for rough waters - were folding kayaks are right at home. Lake Erie can go rough on a dime and it's really fun in a folding kayak. Fish come right in at eye level.

Folding kayaks are also portable as they fold up in one or two bags and were very popular for military use back in the day (40s they were the only show in town before fiberglass and plastics shells). Plan 40 minute set-up time. Throw it in my RV shower and have a boat to enjoy on my travels when I get there.

I'd definitely start out buying something used and fully agree with previous recommendation for a high quality paddle (you have to hold paddle several hours and it gets heavy).

Rudder is critical must have if you sail. I think the purest kayaker would say a rudder is not needed but I'd want one for a tandem or sailing. Like using a capo on a guitar is frown on my some - but I don't think it's cheating. Good control on a boat is important but a rudder will add weight. My tandem is 75 pounds without rudder but I can car top by myself - most folks would be pushing solo car top past 50lbs.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

"... the point of the exercise is to remain upright in your kayak so that you don't encounter the frigid Salish Sea of the San Juan/Gulf Islands. This means knowing excellent bracing techniques! If you plan on practising your wet exits, capsize recoveries, and eventually rolls in the ocean, yes a dry suit would not be a bad idea. I occasionally brush up these skills in local indoor pool workshops - kayaking is so popular here that many community pools open up for kayakers... " Thank you sea Kayaker! I've been looking at a few used Kayaks, just on the Internet, but I think I'll hold off until we arrive in Orcas. We just decided to advance our fire date from 4/1/2017 to 9/1/2016!
It seems like a balancing act of risk of running out of money vs risk of running out of life. We're more worried about running out of life now and so the sooner we get there, the better. We have tenants living in the house and their lease is up on that date, so that is the date now.