Finally Made It!

Jake46

Recycles dryer sheets
After working fulltime for 35 years, I was finally able to pull the plug at the end of May. We moved to For Collins, Colorado and are starting to settle in. As REWahoo forecast, it's hard to wipe the grin off my face.

For the last ten years I had been general counsel at a large public company. My colleagues predicted that I wouldn't be able to dial down the activity level. I'm finding it's more of a different activity level - doing what I want when I want. I think it's going to work for me.

Jake46

Welcome to the ER Team Jake! May you enjoy and take pleasure in you new life.

Hey Jake! Nice to hear from you.

I trust the move went well and I'm glad to hear you're getting to experience the same sense of euphoria I did after walking off the job! :D

Bravo!!!

Years ago I worked for a lawyer in charge of a huge project at an immense company. One day he came over, leaned over my desk at 8:00 p.m. and said, "...you know, only so many days can go by when you don't go home for dinner...." I didn't know at the time that he had already given notice. He didn't choose to retire but he chose a life he enjoys much more now. A month after that I also changed jobs and never worked overtime again.

Hope you find joy in your new life, Jake.

CONGRATS and BEST OF LUCK to you Jake.
Glad to see another inmate get out.

Congratulations. We hope to retire to Colorado, the sooner the better.

Good for you!! Ft. Collins is a good area w/ plenty to do w/in a reasonable drive....decompress and enjoy!

After working fulltime for 35 years, I was finally able to pull the plug at the end of May. We moved to For Collins, Colorado and are starting to settle in. As REWahoo forecast, it's hard to wipe the grin off my face.

For the last ten years I had been general counsel at a large public company. My colleagues predicted that I wouldn't be able to dial down the activity level. I'm finding it's more of a different activity level - doing what I want when I want. I think it's going to work for me.

Jake46

Welcome to town, Jake. I'm sure you'll enjoy living here.

BTW, I'm taking a temporary retirement myself. My employer offered a very generous retirement buy-out that I couldn't refuse. I'm using this time (a couple months) as a trial retirement to find out how I'll like it and how best to prepare for all the extra time I'll have. So far, so good... :)

Sand Pounder

Congratulations! Welcome to the ER club. The water is fine!

Congratulations, Jake, and glad to hear you are enjoying Ft Collins. I lived there a few years and am surprised when I see it turn up so frequently on most popular places to retire. It was a nice place with the mountains closeby but maybe I was too familiar with it to place Ft Collins at the top of a retirement list. But I guess that's why there are retirees all over the country, glad you enjoy it!

PS I hope you don't live anywhere close the the Cache La Poudre flood plain.

SoonToRetire,

I meant to reply that we are on the far SE side of FC -- I think we're out of the flood plan by quite a bit.

Last edited:
SoonToRetire,

I meant to reply that we are on the far SE side of FC -- I think we're out of the flood plan by quite a bit.

Great. Didn't mean to put a downer on my congrats, was just flashing back to around 1976 when we almost bought a home that was just outside the 100 year flood plain northwest of town. Guess what, that weekend was the great Poudre flood that washed away homes and had a lot of fatalities. Fortunately for us we didn't close on the house. Years later there was another flood, we didn't live there at the time but followed it on the news. Ft Collins is a beautiful town but what many didn't realize before those floods is that the Poudre, although it's a small creek most of the time, drains thousands of square miles from the Rocky Mountains to the west. So when there is heavier rain than it can handle, look out.

We still return to Colorado every now and then to visit friends and family, and I remain a Bronco fan. Not sure I can live there again, though, I find it too dry for my respiratory conditions. Congratulations again.

Congratulations! I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do!

Jake, I wish you many happy years in your ER. Ft. Collins is a beautiful city. It's been a year for me now, and I still can't seem to get rid of the smile.

Back
Top Bottom