Finally sold my house

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well it took nearly 3 months but I finally closed on my house. The closing was to supposed to take place 3rd week of Feb. After 2 1/2 weeks more with no closing date, my lawyer fired off a 30 day final time and essence letter giving the buyer 30 days to close. We miraculously got a closing date 3 weeks later. I am tired. This sale took a lot out of me. I guess I am an old retired wuss. Assuming I don't lose it in Las Vegas (Lost in America) or someone succeeds in selling me the Golden Gate, I should be set for life or death, which ever comes last. I hope to be on the road (to Morroco, or is it Singapore) to new adventures in about 2 months.

Congrats MJ. 
I feel/felt your pain as I am going through the same game.
Actually, 3 months is a short time in many locales.
How did your closing get off track?  I would think that would be pretty solid in the sales contract, no?
Enjoy your new freedom and riches  8)

MJ said:
Assuming I don't lose it in Las Vegas (Lost in America) or someone succeeds in selling me the Golden Gate, I should be set for life or death, which ever comes last. I hope to be on the road (to Morroco, or is it Singapore) to new adventures in about 2 months.

MJ congratualtions on the sale of your house. Must be a secure feeling to be able to look at your finances as "set for life or death".

How does one calcualte that?  I read, listen, crunch #'s, add zero's but I still don't get it.
Guess whatever we have the day we call it quits is the magic #.

Glad it finally closed. Selling houses is very stressful, but the money is nice once it's done.

MJ,
Congrats!
Enjoy the road trip out to Ariz. Relax, enjoy a few bike rides and it's Mueller Time.

Maybe see in Thailand one day soon. I'm going to settle in SF and then off the BKK.

Congrats MJ,

I would love to read more about your relocation(?) to Singapore. Best of luck.

JPatrick said:
Congrats MJ.
I feel/felt your pain as I am going through the same game.
Actually, 3 months is a short time in many locales.
How did your closing get off track? I would think that would be pretty solid in the sales contract, no?
Enjoy your new freedom and riches 8)

First thanks to all of you.

The buyer and I had what appeared to be a good relationaship as buyer/seller goes. I was the broker on this deal so there was no go between agent to minimize my stress. Based on the fact the buyer was going to finance nearly 60% of the sale price, everyone around me including members here, told me that this should have taken no more than 30 to 45 days. He continues to tell me that he was ready but the bank wasn't and he was willing to show me the document trail. Being a pessimist, I was wondering if a bank would, upon the buyer's request, take it's time to secure the mortgage or did he have some financial problem that slowed down the process. I didn't ask to see his documents since we were going to close in 6 hours. I didn't need more stress before the closing. I guess i'll never now.
Anyway, he's got the house and I've got the cash.
Maybe i'll have a yan to return to the Big Apple in 5 or so years and pick up the same house for 40% off my price. ;)

GTM said:
MJ congratualtions on the sale of your house. Must be a secure feeling to be able to look at your finances as "set for life or death".

How does one calcualte that? I read, listen, crunch #'s, add zero's but I still don't get it.
Guess whatever we have the day we call it quits is the magic #.

Thanks GTM. Breaking out of my ultra frugaliness similar to UncleMick is difficult for me. Being single helps keeps the COL down. Symbolically speaking, I can "live" on lobster or canned tuna. I am trying to reallocate my canned tuna/lobster mix 95/5% to 60/40%. I hope my conservative numbers based on the inflation rate of 6% (non-medical) and 12% (medical) will keep me in sushi and thai noodles for many years to come until it will be time to revert back to baby food.

OldAgePensioner said:
MJ,
Congrats!
Enjoy the road trip out to Ariz. Relax, enjoy a few bike rides and it's Mueller Time.

Maybe see in Thailand one day soon. I'm going to settle in SF and then off the BKK.

Thanks. Let's definitely keep in touch. Unless I meet some damsel in recess, I hope to be Chiang Mai in the fall.

James L said:
Congrats MJ,

I would love to read more about your relocation(?) to Singapore. Best of luck.

Althought, I may visit Singapore someday, I don't plan to relocate there. I was just taking off on the Hope/Crosby Off On the Road movie series.

MJ said:
I hope my conservative numbers based on the inflation rate of 6% (non-medical) and 12% (medical) will keep me in sushi and thai noodles for many years to come until it will be time to revert back to baby food. 

6% inflation? probably so
If invested conservatively returns may be less than inflation.

Maybe keep that high tuna low lobster allocation for a while longer.

MJ,
Congratulations! Free at last, Free at least....

BTW, since you were last here in Thailand we've have had and are still having a revolution! The PM resigned, actually forced out. Many HUGE demonstrations in BKK.  But, thank Buddha, so far they have been peaceful.

Again congrats on the sale and good luck in the future.

Billy
www.Retireearlylifestyle.com

Thanks Billy. Maybe you and DW will still be in CM (I hope) when I arrive next Fall.

Thanks Lance. I will most likely stay in BKK just a few days and head out to CM but would like to meetup not just for drinks but some delicious Thai chow.
If our timing is off, there's always the possibility of you coming to CM.

It would be great if you, me, Akaisha, Billy, OAP, and ..... could meet up for the 1st annual Chiang Mai ER forum conference. Do I smell a tax deduction? ;)

sawatdee khrab

Hey MJ,

You sound like you are now footloose and fancy free. Enjoy your freedom and I hope that you have many and safe travels.

Please stay in touch and let us know of your many adventures.

Dreamer

MJ,
Not sure where we will be in the Fall...heck, I'm not sure where I am going for lunch and that's only a few hours away! But if we are here you can be sure we'll meet up again. These Thai ladies keep asking...."when is M... coming back?" I keep telling them soon...:)

Enjoy your freedom....

Billy
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

MJ,
Cood luck with the freedom. Enjoy the Thailand visits and hopefully I'll see you there.

Lance and Billy and Akaisha can get you off to a great start I'm sure. Enjoyl

OAP

Billy said:
MJ,
Not sure where we will be in the Fall...heck, I'm not sure where I am going for lunch and that's only a few hours away! But if we are here you can be sure we'll meet up again. These Thai ladies keep asking...."when is M... coming back?" I keep telling them soon...:)

Enjoy your freedom....

Billy
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Thanks Billy, but let's keep our my fantasies private. 8)
Hope the price of "oil" will not go up by the time I return. ;)

OldAgePensioner said:
MJ,
Cood luck with the freedom. Enjoy the Thailand visits and hopefully I'll see you there.

Lance and Billy and Akaisha can get you off to a great start I'm sure. Enjoyl

OAP

Thanks OAP.
There is remote possibility that I could fly out of SF.
How far is Tucson from SF? As I said in a previous post, I really loved SF when I stayed there for several weeks in the late 70's. Of course, that was another time in a galaxy far far away. :'(

Congrats MJ.

I went to Chang Mai, BKK, Singapore, and more on my RTW trip a year ago and I can say you are in for some fun. I was in a rush to fit it all into a sabbatical, but you have the luxury to really take your time and integrate with the locals a little, which is way cool. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom