Join Early Retirement Today

Financial Health vs: Physical Health
Old 01-09-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Financial Health vs: Physical Health

I'm interested to learn if most have expeirenced an increase in physical activity since ER or a decline? While I am currently fairly fit, I know there is room for improvement but find it difficult to make the time to make this improvement. Currently the time slot from 5:00 AM to 6:00 AM is available (if I forego sleep). I would like to think that I would use the freedom of time to pursue physical activitites.
Thanks....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Financial Health vs: Physical Health
Old 01-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #2

You mean you retired and only have 5am - 6am open?

I visit the health club right after lunch, when I feel that temptation for the afternoon nap coming on. After the workout, the nap urge goes away!

Old 01-10-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, since I am still about seven years away from ER I was interested in finding out how many people view their physical health with same regard as their financial health. On a good note, I did manage a thirty minute workout this morning though. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well, since I am still about seven years away from ER I was interested in finding out how many people view their physical health with same regard as their financial health.
I view my physical health higher than anything. If I do not have a quality standard of living, then all the money in the world will not make it better. The important healths to maintain:

1. Physical
2. Financial
3. Mental / Emotional
4. Relationship
Old 01-10-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gReeNy
1. Physical
2. Financial
3. Mental / Emotional
4. Relationship
The 4 pillars of living..
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Greeny and Justin, thanks for your input and I agree 100%. I believe if you are fit, there is far less likelyhood of common illnesses. Hopefully I will be able to maintain my fitness (or improve it) into retirement and still enjoy snow skiing and water skiing.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:48 AM   #7

Without good health all the money in the world is useless. As Greeny said, I value my health over all else. You realize even with a minor flu or backache how different life would be without it.

Having the discipline to actually DO something about it is the hard part. Maintaining a healthy weight, not smoking and excercising regularly are the most important things to do for yourself, IMO.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #8

My health was pretty good before ER, and no major vices.* But stress was UP, exercise was DOWN.* No time.

But after ER, stress is DOWN, exercise is UP!

Walking has helped me mentally, besides physically.* I feel better all around.* If for some reason I haven't walked for 4 or 5 days straight, I can feel the good effects wearing off, like I start getting crabbier.

- An ER secret... don't spend too much time on internet forums.* As internet has become widely available to the masses, so much of it is now mirroring the public at large. Ugh!
It starts looking like work again.* Who needs the hassles?
Not me, I'm retired!
It's a lot cooler this morning, low 40's now, sun is shining brightly.* Time for a walk!* Bye!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2FIRE
I'm interested to learn if most have expeirenced an increase in physical activity since ER or a decline?
Major increase.

Spouse and I have been physically active all our adult lives, courtesy of the Navy's physical fitness program.* (Hey, you gotta start somewhere.)* So we've always had a baseline level of fitness, even if it was camouflaged by grazing through a 90-day submarine patrol.

But in ER I've added surfing, tae kwon do, and long walks.* I'm so physically fit that I can hardly get out of bed some mornings.

What surprises & scares me is that I'm the oldest guy in our dojang yet I can do more pushups/situps than every other student-- and many of the blackbelts.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:01 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Well, since I am still about seven years away from ER I was interested in finding out how many people view their physical health with same regard as their financial health. On a good note, I did manage a thirty minute workout this morning though. Thanks.
So N2, what keeps you from spending a little more time on fitness? Why not just take an extra 30 minutes. Is the boss going to give you grief otherwise?

I like gReeNy's 4 pillars of living. When I was young fitness had much to do with attacting the opposite sex (for some strange reason). Now it has much more to do with being able to enjoy the fruits of all that diligent financial accumulation (for some strange reason).
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:49 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
When I was young fitness had much to do with attacting the opposite sex (for some strange reason).* Now it has much more to do with being able to enjoy the fruits of all that diligent financial accumulation (for some strange reason).
It still has to do with being attractive to the opposite sex ... even if you've been married more than two decades. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:02 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've always liked to work out even before I joined the Army. Now that I've left I plan to do more of what I want to do (i.e. lifting weights) rather than running everyday. We plan on enrolling our son in Tae won do since the age to start is 2 years old and he's 3. I might join him just for fun and to hang out with the little "prince." I'll be going to the gym starting next week after a month off. The moving to a new country, Christmas, looking at pre-k, etc. has put a dent in my regiment but I plan to start either latet this week or on Monday.
Doesn't make any sense to have a lot of money and spend it on pills, or MDs instead of fun things.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:32 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, TargaDave, that is the same question "So N2, what keeps you from spending a little more time on fitness?" I ask myself often. This week I have been diligent about getting to bed by 11PM and getting up to workout. As for getting into the office late, I could do that but I hate to be late to anything, especially work. I work through lunch and even stay past 5 most nights but I don't like to be late. Pretty much it is a matter of discipline for me. I was always very active, lean and trim without exercise so it is a new thing for me.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
It still has to do with being attractive to the opposite sex ... even if you've been married more than two decades. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Being a single, skinhead, xtra frugal and (almost) 58, I stay in shape for health reasons and to keep myself as attractive as naturally possible (major challenge) to keep the younger women still interested (humongous challenge).

D-mn, wish I had $100,000k to help with my challenges.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:14 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Yep - physical health is number one!

It's hard to enjoy anything else in life unless you are in good physical health (or the best you can be if you do have some health problems you have to live with).

Yes - one of the benefits of being retired is that you do actually have time to get physically fit and enjoy good physical activity.

One of the really nice things about being retired is that you can actually go out and do something FUN for physical exercise instead of having to slog it out at a gym to save time.

Now you still gotta make time for it and make it a priority because these retired lifestyles get so busy!!* Where does all the time go?.....

Audrey
Old 01-18-2006, 12:15 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Audrey welcome aboard, I was checking out your intro earlier and admiring your home on wheels. The RV park where the picture was taken looks more like a parking lot with power and water connections than what I'm used to seeing. I do like the way you captured the American flag reflecting in the window though. I built custom campers when I was high school and hope some day to either build or customize a motor home. Also thanks for your input to my discussion here. My hope is that everyone is as serious about their physical health as they are their financial health. We look forward to hearing much more from you.
N2
Old 01-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Audrey welcome aboard, I was checking out your intro earlier and admiring your home on wheels. The RV park where the picture was taken looks more like a parking lot with power and water connections than what I'm used to seeing. I do like the way you captured the American flag reflecting in the window though.
LOL! It IS a big gravel parking lot with power and water connections! That picture was taken at our RV dealer's lot when they first delivered our motorhome. The flag is the window was a totally lucky fluke - and yes because the dealer had the hugest American Flag you EVER saw, and I didn't realized I'd captured the reflection until later - LOL!

All the campgrounds we've stayed in since had trees!! Trees are important to us.....

Audrey
Old 01-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

The healthier you are, the longer you live, (hopefully) and you need more money, because your gonna live longer.

So I am going to drink a little more so I don't outlive my nest egg.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:42 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

LOL! Yeah - I've noticed that potential "downside" to staying healthy!!

But the physically unhealthy probably spends a lot of money on medical care before finally kicking the bucket, so maybe it evens out?

Audrey
Old 01-19-2006, 10:12 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Dear N2Fire,

Since I became a fulltime RVer, my physical activity has definitely increased.* No more sitting around watching TV on the couch in my apartment.

I am soooooo busy seeing everything that I can see, exploring everywhere that I go.* I love to share about my adventures on my blog and webpages, taking pics to show others where I'm at.

Money seems to take care of itself for me.* When I am living right, and thinking right, the money seems to just be there.* Sort of like magic, and I am sooooo thankful for that magic.

Bye for now,
George
TiogaRV is offline   Reply With Quote