Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Finding a Job After Being Retired
Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Finding a Job After Being Retired

Heresy I know, but...

And I am afraid whatever answers I will get will be riddled with 'it depends.'

I am leaning toward retiring, but I'd view it more as a long sabbatical before going back to work. If I was going to go back to work at a similar position in the same industry, I know I'd be better off finding the new job before I leave the first (and forget the sabbatical). But my goal is to start an entirely new career in a completely different field. So I am hoping that being retired/unemployed when I start the search won't make much difference. Thought I'd see if others had the first career, sabbatical, second career experience and how did it go?

Taking sabbatical from present job and returning is not an option, and I don't think I'd want to come back anyway. I am ready for something new.

On paper we can afford to never work again, so I would not find myself in a position that it became urgent to find that second job. I could wait almost indefinitely.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

You know what they say - - it's always easier to arrange a job while you are still working at the previous job. So, in this job market it might be pretty hard to get another job.

But since you don't really need the money, you could volunteer at doing whatever-it-is, or settle for a low salary if need be.

I haven't done what you are contemplating, but IMO you should go ahead with your sabbatical and job-hunting intentions. We only have a limited number of days on this earth, so why put off chasing your dreams? (Especially since you are already FI).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't understand the working concept after retirement. I retired in Dec of 06 and when the market crashed I took a job PT and worked for 1 1/2 years. I'm now back to doing nothing. Working is something you do to get enough money so you don't have to.

But if you like work, go to it.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Do you want a job or a new passion because they are very different things ? I see lots of older people in Florida working at jobs but when I saw Targa Dave's video it was clear that he had found his passion . Same with the cheapskate writer and ESR Bob , Jacob Fisker and many more . So you probably need some time off to search inside you to find yours .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

What kind of work are you interested in? Have you considered starting your own business?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
But my goal is to start an entirely new career in a completely different field. So I am hoping that being retired/unemployed when I start the search won't make much difference. Thought I'd see if others had the first career, sabbatical, second career experience and how did it go?
On paper we can afford to never work again, so I would not find myself in a position that it became urgent to find that second job. I could wait almost indefinitely.
When I was working I'd totally bought into that "You can't get a job after you leave your job!!" myth. My retirement experience has been that there are more job offers waiting for you than you really care to tackle.

Since you're not lacking for money or for time, you may be able to find a volunteer position in your chosen field that could eventually lead to a paying job.

It happened all the time when spouse was in the Reserves. She'd do her drill with a department, or go on a couple weeks of active duty, or work a project with another organization. They'd get to know her and within days they'd start discussing her "transition" to contractor or civil servant.

Then she started volunteering with a non-profit and it happened all over again:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post963460

A couple months ago she started an initiative on Oahu that was well received by the customer/beneficiary. She told the boss it was going well. The beneficiary told all their fellow beneficiaries across the nation and now there's going to be a minor tsunami of new demand for the non-profit's services. The problem is that the non-profit didn't see this coming and may actually have to hire extra staff to deal with the new demand. Spouse has things covered here on Oahu but there's some half-hearted finger-pointing at how much she's raised everyone else's workload and caused this scramble. But they'll get it sorted out in another month or two.

We still have conversations that regularly end with "Whaddya gonna do, send me to sea duty fire me?" The irony is that they're pestering her to ramp up her hours.

Just be aware that by the time you find your "dream job", you may no longer have the interest, let alone the commitment, to keep showing up for work... especially when the surf is up.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
But my goal is to start an entirely new career in a completely different field.
I guess it will depend on how much of your skills are transferable, getting qualifications (certifications etc), creating a network of contacts in the new field & availability of jobs.

I went back to work earlier this year in a related field and I was able to use my network of contacts from my work life to get work. I have seen older people get positions even after a few years out of the work arena. It all - as you said - depends! I think it helps if you're energetic, obviously in good health and enthusiastic about the field of work.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But my goal is to start an entirely new career in a completely different field.
Do you have a specific Career in mind? Or would you just be throwing Darts until you hit something?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

OP, I don't know how old you are, but in general this type thing does not work well. If it would be easy to continue your present career on a p.t. basis, no problem. Anything else is not very realistic, though certainly nothing is impossible.

Ha
Old 11-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

At some point I might want to get a part time job - REI? - for the months I find myself at home. I don't want something with responsibility; just something to kill a few hours.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a buddy who owns a painting business (along with his rental property business) come over to play poker the other night, and he commented on my newly epoxied garage floor. He said he had a realtor-lady friend who has some clients who need that done, but nobody in my town seems to do it, so he wondered if I would be interested in talking to her.

Long story short, I went over to this big house with a huge 3 car garage and gave the realtor what I thougt was a big price to paint the floor. They took my offer, and now I've got to paint the damn thing. It works out to over $100 per labor hour for me, and I'm going to have fund spending it on my upcoming surf trip, but I'm not really thrilled with what I've gotten myself into.

As Nords said, there are tons of jobs out there, especially when you're not really looking for one!
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Related thread:

Did You Find the Part-Time Work You Wanted after FIRE
headingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am looking for work. Don't know what. I might start a business of some sort, nothing too big, just me doing something, no employees, no store front. Might work at a book store or something like that. Something that interests me. Might work in my old field, but times are kind of tough. Might never work again and just make due with what I got. Make my job figuring out how to not take a part-time job.

I suppose the the reason is key. I am doing it for some extra hobby/travel money. We can pay the bills and have some left over, but the kids cost a fortune. If its not not new cleats for football, its yearbooks. If its not yearbooks, its pictures. If not pictures, its something else. Plus we have this big home and the big payment and will continue to "need" that until they move out. I have also found that without the ability to really do what we want to do (RVing, travel, etc.) I might as well make a few bucks instead of aimlessly puttering around the house, not that I don't enjoy aimlessly puttering around the house. Honestly, this "Eh, whatever", attitude is growing on me.

If you're doing it for yourself, then go for it. If you don't need the money, then its more like a hobby, isn't it? Some people like work, even need work, to keep busy and feel needed. If that's you, do it. Do what makes you happy. Since you are FI, take that sabbatical. Sounds like you can afford to maybe not find a new job right away, or ever. If you have to do it for less than premium wages, so what?

Life is short and if you are FI or can be FI with a little lifestyle management, I say take the plunge and follow your dreams.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I consider it in poor taste for a FIRE-qualified individual to retire and look for a job. Why take a job away from one of the almost 15 million folks in the US who are unemployed - and really need to work? If your FI status is questionable then I understand working, but if not...

But then, maybe that's just me.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #15

I give thanks and gratitude every day, that I have extracted myself from the job pool.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

REW, you're something else...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I consider it in poor taste for a FIRE-qualified individual to retire and look for a job. Why take a job away from one of the almost 15 million folks in the US who are unemployed - and really need to work? If your FI status is questionable then I understand working, but if not...

But then, maybe that's just me.
I took an early retirement that saved someone's job.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
I had a buddy who owns a painting business (along with his rental property business) come over to play poker the other night, and he commented on my newly epoxied garage floor. He said he had a realtor-lady friend who has some clients who need that done, but nobody in my town seems to do it, so he wondered if I would be interested in talking to her.

Long story short, I went over to this big house with a huge 3 car garage and gave the realtor what I thougt was a big price to paint the floor. They took my offer, and now I've got to paint the damn thing. It works out to over $100 per labor hour for me, and I'm going to have fund spending it on my upcoming surf trip, but I'm not really thrilled with what I've gotten myself into.

As Nords said, there are tons of jobs out there, especially when you're not really looking for one!
I agree with this and Nords comments. I retired, and never intended to work again. But I ended up doing a little purchasing for an old boss as a favor. I didn't expect or even want anything to come of it, but it's turning into a fairly lucrative extremely part time business. I don't really consider it work, more an annoyance that shows a profit. I don't know how long it will last, but if it dies off, no problem.

My point is, opportunities come along if you are interested. If you are looking for a significant income type job, I'd try to set something up while I was still employed. But if you are just looking for something to do, relax and let it come to you.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post

I find it amazing that there is nobody else taking that $100/hr job despite the 10% unemployment rate that they talk about.

Could it be because you work so fast compared to other people? Or could it be that you underestimate the time to do it? I notice that your buddy who is in the painting business did not want to do it either. I have seen epoxied floors, but do not know if it requires special tools or skill.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I am working part-time but not taking anyone's job. They can't seem to be able to find old farts experienced people to do what I do. Of course, I can't tell you the details. Trade secrets, proprietary data and all that stuff, you know? And I don't want any competition either.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote