Join Early Retirement Today

Finding friends in a new area
Old 06-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

37 months to go and DW and I are considering leaving Southern California for new adventures in distant lands. We are considering moving to either Austin, Boulder or Portland. We aren't considering living in a "community" and would love to hear the experiences of those who moved and successfully met and developed friendships in the new area. How did you do it?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

You get out of the house and meet people. My husband does it through tennis, I go to language classes. It's a slower process than when you are younger, at least for us.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For me it was joining the volunteer fire dept, while also constructing the new firehouse, this really opened doors with the old timers. Hiked with the Thursday hiking group, went birding with the locals, and befriended a neighborhood cowboy that I chased arrowheads with. My neighbor introduced me to a bunch of folks when I bought him lunch and a few cold beers at the tavern.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocadorunner View Post
37 months to go and DW and I are considering leaving Southern California for new adventures in distant lands. We are considering moving to either Austin, Boulder or Portland. We aren't considering living in a "community" and would love to hear the experiences of those who moved and successfully met and developed friendships in the new area. How did you do it?
As you pursue your "new adventures in distant lands", you will inevitably meet people with common interests. Some may become friends, and some may introduce you to others who become friends.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #5

We moved here 4 years ago, knew absolutely no one, joined a country club, live close to it and hang out there a lot.

Helps having a golf cart.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Check out Meetup - there is something there for everyone.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

I never heard of Meetup.com Very interesting - Thanks!
Old 06-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I moved from Orange County (born and raised, spent the majority of my life there) to an area called Wildwood, east of St Louis. I have dachshunds that do go to ground and hunting competitions, so I met a lot of friends very quickly that way.
I think like others have said, when there is a common interest friendships are much easier to cultivate.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-30-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
I moved from Orange County (born and raised, spent the majority of my life there) to an area called Wildwood, east of St Louis. I have dachshunds that do go to ground and hunting competitions, so I met a lot of friends very quickly that way.
I think like others have said, when there is a common interest friendships are much easier to cultivate.

Are you still thinking in California terms Irishgal where everything is east? If I am thinking of the same place in MO thats west of Stl. And yes that is a very nice area!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Are you still thinking in California terms Irishgal where everything is east? If I am thinking of the same place in MO thats west of Stl. And yes that is a very nice area!

Hahaha I'm busted! What an embarrassing error. But really- I get lost walking down my driveway.

Yes, west of STL.

OP another idea- are you interested in sports or things like walking or hiking?
I play ice hockey and found a team quickly here so that's another avenue.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
Hahaha I'm busted! What an embarrassing error. But really- I get lost walking down my driveway.

Yes, west of STL.

OP another idea- are you interested in sports or things like walking or hiking?
I play ice hockey and found a team quickly here so that's another avenue.

I am just having some fun with you. But I am glad you have found out in MO there is no animosity from Californians invading us.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:11 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am just having some fun with you. But I am glad you have found out in MO there is no animosity from Californians invading us.

I'm always up for fun lol.
No animosity, but I do get a lot of "why would you leave Orange County for Missouri", always from those who have not yet traveled to Southern California 😎

Wild Irish Rogue
Old 06-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #13

I'm from Nashville, TN, and there are so many musicians and movie stars living there that they call it the Third Coast.

Justin Timberlake and new wife, Jessica Biel, are the newest to buy a huge plot of Tennessee land where The 3 Judds, Amy/Vince and many other famous people live incognito without paparazzi, etc.

We've found church to be the best place to meet other interesting people.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #14

Volunteer? (animal shelter, habitat for humanity, environmental group, reading to kids in schools, local historic preservation society, local arts center, museum docent - you name it - there's something for everyone, and you'd meet like-minded people).

Join a hiking group, or a community chorus, or a community theater, or a birdwatching group, or a book club at the library? Join a church, if you're so inclined.

Take a class in (insert your area of interest here).

Get involved in local politics? (stock up on Tums!)
Old 06-30-2015, 10:27 PM   #15

Check out this thread too.

How hard is it to make friends after er and a move.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:38 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I think you will have culture shock no matter what you do. Try a long vacation first.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I think you will have culture shock no matter what you do. Try a long vacation first.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
+1
From moving to the East to Midwest 38 years ago, how true. We didn't like it here for the first 5 years. Finally moved 25 miles to a different state, felt like home.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #18

Quote:

In Boulder, there may be some animosity, but mostly from those who got here from California before you!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Austin here:
Many Meetup groups

OLLI - Osher Lifelong Learning Institute - 5 groups who meet at the University of Texas campus for lectures, some social functions, local trips. DH was the chair of one of the groups this past year. Most people are 60+

UT Informal Classes - limited time classes in anything from Spanish to How to Build an App to Golf to Investing. They are pretty inexpensive

Get involved in your local neighborhood association or a splinter group (my neighborhood has 2)

Go to Auditorium Shores with your dog (off leash area by Lady Bird Lake)

Many runners groups, hiking groups, if that's your thing

If you are of liberal persuasion (we are a blue dot in a very red state) then we are the founding city for Liberal Ladies Who Lunch.

We came here 5 years ago when DH retired. I was w*rking full time 70 miles one way from home. I put him in charge of our social life. We could go out to dinner a couple of times a week if we wanted to with the number of people we know. The first year we had a New Years Day Open House and invited absolutely everyone we could think of. This went a long way in meeting others and it has become a yearly tradition. In the past few years we have had 60-80 people come through our house on New Years Day.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:23 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

What fantastic suggestions. I love the New Year's idea.