Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
One of my ambitions is to be a Jungle Cruise skipper at Disneyland.
I wouldn't recommend it. Hippos are much too dangerous.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The grass strip on my two wooded lots across the street got about half way between the top of my ankles and the bottom of my knees - so I mowed it.

Then I sat on the porch and fished out the $25 dollar estimate some young man gave me yesterday to mow.

heh heh heh -

Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #23

I enjoyed reading this "second act" volunteering story:

Retiree turns page on new career at Houston Public Library | Top stories | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
"...in 1975, Arbore approached a local bookbinder about repairing the book but was dismayed at the cost estimate $75. "I declined," Arbore said.

Nonetheless, the bookbinder invited him to join in some informal book-repair classes offered by a master craftsman in Galveston. Arbore accepted the offer the classes approximated a college course in the basics and expanded his new knowledge by delving into the public library's holdings on book-making and conservation.

In the early 1990s, after the research center's conservator departed, librarians recruited Arbore to repair the spine of a 19th century book they wanted to exhibit.

Over the next few years, he repaired a couple dozen books for the library, joining the volunteer staff full time about five years ago.

With the help of an occasional assistant, Arbore handles as many as 100 items a year..."
Old 08-26-2010, 12:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
(snip)Anyhoo, just wondering if any other folks have had any success starting up something new in ER, and if so what kind of stuff did you have to go through to get it going?
Some years back, when I was feeling stuck in a job I hated (you know, the "golden handcuffs" syndrome), I made my plans to jump ship at the earliest possible moment. I knew I wouldn't be eligible for enough of a pension to live on, and I had hardly anything saved yet, so I knew I would have to work part time after I bailed out, and I was determined not to get myself into another line of work that made me miserable. What I did was to consult a vocational counselor and take a bunch of personality type and other tests, to determine what kind of work might be a good fit for my skills and temperament. As events actually worked themselves out, I was able to do a lateral transfer at my same employer, and the job I transferred into was just such a good fit as I had been hoping to find, so I'm still there and saving up my pennies and have put off retirement until I can afford it. Access to the counseling services is part of our benefits package, so I don't know how one would go about finding such a person to consult independently, but it might provide some useful input.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
...because it's still in the car business for crying out loud!
NW Bound:

It's just that the car business is all I've known since I was in my 20s, and it's fun trying to figure out the next cool thing to do.

<break for introspection>
I always thought of myself as an imaginative dude when I was working, dreaming up all kind of crazy ideas for what I would do post car business, but now that I have a chance to do anything I want (well, not really quite yet with the kids still in school) I can't seem to come up with anything more interesting than the car business. Like, maybe I was never really all that imaginative and interesting like I thought I was. Shudder!
<end touchy feely moment>

I'm in no rush to find something-- I've got plenty of stuff to keep me busy and tons of projects to work on, so I'll just keep my mind working in the background trying to come up with something cool. I have 6 years until the kids go off to college, so I'm trying to come up with something to fill those six years that will be interesting and fulfilling for DW and I to do, not take up too many hours during the day, and be off in the summer. Kind of tough paramaters, but that's what I'm working with.

<stream of consciousness>
I've got a retired buddy who wants to start a bar with me, but I don't want to hang out in a bar everyday, and while I could put the kids to work in the kitchen after they finish their homework, I think that would get old for everyone really quickly.
<end spontaneity>

After the kids are in college we plan to sell the house and move where there is consistent surf, something to keep DW engaged, and a cool place the kids can visit during college breaks. I'm leaning towards Costa Rica since we've travelled there often and there's great surf, but there's not that much for DW to do in the jungel since she doesn't surf. Florida is also on the radar if we decide to stay in the states-- maybe a decent size city like Jacksonville so DW can have things to do, and I can still catch some surf maybe once a week or so.

Just took our 8th grader to school, and on the way we crunched the numbers of the proposed Baha Fish Taco!! stand that he was really excited about. It looks like, based on what we think we can sell, and after the split with the house (me), he would make around $2 per hour. He told me maybe he would just get a job at the local HEB grocery store instead. He wants to earn some money so he can get a vehicle when he turns 16. The deal is, he pays for 1/2 and I handle the rest. That's how my dad did it with me, so that's why I'm making the deal with him. I don't think most kids these days drive junkers like we did back in the day (my first truck, a 1970 Chevy Stepside shortbed, cost me $500 plus $200 for a paint job plus $200 for wheels and tires plus $100 for the stereo), so we shall see what he can afford, but I bet I can find him something cheap.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... and it's fun trying to figure out the next cool thing to do.
Among parenting, home improvement & maintenance, yardwork, landlording, surfing, taekwondo, researching investments, e-mail, reading (books & Internet) and writing... by the end of the day I'm exhausted. And I'm an introvert.

I don't do every activty every day but I've certainly got more paperwork piled up on my computer desk (and my study desk) than I care to deal with. I also have a two-foot-tall stack of books that I'd like to catch up on.

Do you & your kids have the interest & space to tackle a project-car rehab or an electric vehicle conversion? Our kid has turned into a real home-improvement geek by working alongside us. She's probably the only teen in our town who can swap out a toilet or any of its parts...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

After following a real estate thread from here to the 2 + 2 poker forum, I'm thinking of teaching myself to play poker... and expecting to come out w $. DH just smiled when I told him... but I'm not game enough to tell my BFF.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I always thought of myself as an imaginative dude when I was working, dreaming up all kind of crazy ideas for what I would do post car business...
I had these crazy ideas too when I left the security of the megacorp to join a couple of start-ups. We were still doing engineering work, but in entirely different fields than what we did at megacorps. Man, it was tough, and we did not make enough money with our products to sustain ourselves, and finally folded. Yes, it was crazy and I should be glad I still have my shirts.

Anyway, I got really curious about the 3 different guys that I bought used vehicles from. I had been watching craigslist for what I wanted for a long time. I did not know these guys were car flippers from their craigslist listings until I met them. They had the best prices, and beat individual sellers, and of course car dealers. Thus, they knew where and how to buy cheap, and obviously you do too. I would not give that up.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #29

Quote:
I'm trying to come up with something to fill those six years that will be interesting and fulfilling for DW and I to do, not take up too many hours during the day, and be off in the summer. Kind of tough parameters, but that's what I'm working with.
While not for everyone, I had a cousin who would do days as a substitute teacher after he retired. He got a kick out of the kids and would tell them his big exaggerated stories with him as the hero. He only worked when he felt like it. And best of all, summers and holidays always off.

It wouldn't be what I would choose but he seemed to like it.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHoper View Post
After following a real estate thread from here to the 2 + 2 poker forum, I'm thinking of teaching myself to play poker... and expecting to come out w $. DH just smiled when I told him... but I'm not game enough to tell my BFF.
I'm gonna be a wet blanket and suggest if you're serious about playing poker for money, that you read this thread first. If you were just kidding, ignore the link, and I apologize for mistaking your meaning.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Food concession trailer. A little more generic than the Taco thing. You can get these used and change the menu for different venus. They come in all sorts of formats. There are always festivals, car shows, etc that may take some time to get your foot in the door. The kids can work in it and you can go to as many or few as you like. I know a lady that has one and she only goes to about 7 events a year and makes net 700-1200 for the weekend.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks kyounge 1956, I am serious... whether I get a round to it - is another thing. I had previously read the sad thread and separately noted the danger.

Personally, I expect to be OK. I do have a totally irrational part of me that likes to gamble, but have no addiction problems... 1 scratch lottery ticket every 3 months and currently small $ worth of Citibank shares... ouch.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks kyounge 1956, I am serious... whether I get a round to it - is another thing. I had previously read the sad thread and separately noted the danger.

Personally, I expect to be OK. I do have a totally irrational part of me that likes to gamble, but have no addiction problems... 1 scratch lottery ticket every 3 months and currently small $ worth of Citibank shares... ouch.
I know a guy who is professional poker player and he claims to do pretty well. However, his long suffering wife is a professor, and I think he would be looking for a job quick if she ever left him. Which event would make great sense form her POV I think. Many of the guys on this board who have support from their female partners at least know enough to become good housekeepers, but he hasn't learned that one yet.

Ha
Old 08-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
Food concession trailer. A little more generic than the Taco thing. You can get these used and change the menu for different venus. They come in all sorts of formats. There are always festivals, car shows, etc that may take some time to get your foot in the door. The kids can work in it and you can go to as many or few as you like. I know a lady that has one and she only goes to about 7 events a year and makes net 700-1200 for the weekend.
That sounds kind of interesting. Can you suggest a book I could read to find out more about a food concession business?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I am pretty serious player (cashed in WSOP event) and play 1-2 times a week in Hawaii. The 2+2 forums are very useful place to learn a lot about the game. The books recommended there are particularly good.

It is a fun hobby (and it least for me) a modestly profitable one. Its been 2 years since I've need to use an ATM I use cash to buy a fair amount of things, however the summer of 2008 was pretty expensive.

The least expensive place to learn to be a decent players is online. I think anybody with good math background (EE certainly qualify) can learn tob e a decent player (this doesn't mean winning) for a several hundred if you stick to the low limits ($.25 table online.) Poker "lessons" in a card room like Bay 101 in San Jose are considerably more expensive easily require a few thousand investment and many hours before becoming a decent player.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
That sounds kind of interesting. Can you suggest a book I could read to find out more about a food concession business?
Sorry, I have no leads on books. You can do searches on ebay to get an idea on different types available. Maybe go to a few events/festivals and when it is slow at one, ask some questions.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:57 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
Sorry, I have no leads on books. You can do searches on ebay to get an idea on different types available. Maybe go to a few events/festivals and when it is slow at one, ask some questions.
And if you like the answers offer the owner $$ so you can shadow him for a day then pick his brain for an hour in a follow-up session.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #38

Quote:
Starting a Baja Fish Taco stand only on W-TH-FRI and only in the evenings and not during the summer so our kids can learn the value of work and earn some extra change but so we can still travel all summer!! (as I explain breathlessly and excitedly to anyone who will listen)

just sounds goofy as hell when I try to describe it to people (especially DW).
My initial reaction is why would your customers put up with the schedule? You expect them to remember the days & hours you're open? To remember when you reopen in the fall? Wouldn't it be so much easier for them to take their business to a fish taco stand that kept regular hours?

How about you get a partner who runs the stand when you don't?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #39

Planning to provide free healthcare in different parts of the world, including Asia, eastern Europe and Central/Latin America. It seems that a lot of planning is needed, especially financial planning rather than pure logistics....

Quote:

Anyhoo, just wondering if any other folks have had any success starting up something new in ER, and if so what kind of stuff did you have to go through to get it going?

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote