FIRE - 3 year update

jwkde

Recycles dryer sheets
3 years ago today (@55) I turned in my company badge, keys, and laptop and walked off into the land of FIRE!!

I have never looked back nor regretted any second of it.

My overall health has improved.

I never have a 'bored day' unless I chose to be a bum for a day or so.

Involved in some volunteer work that I find rewarding, spend time doing things I never really had the time to do before.

I owe so much to the ER Forums for both helping me get to that day 3 years ago. The practical tools (FireCalc) as well as the experience of those going before were a tremendous confidence booster.

Thanks to ALL

PS: I would have updated the last 2 years but I have been too busy.

Congratulations. I had my 3 year anniversary just a few months ago. My only complaint/regret so far about retiring is that I should have done it sooner.

Congratulations. I had my 3 year anniversary just a few months ago. My only complaint/regret so far about retiring is that I should have done it sooner.

Anything you could have foreseen to tell you retiring back then was the right choice? My biggest fear is retiring too late. Could use some of your hindsight.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Congrats. I retired at 60 a year and a half ago and went back to work part time the past 6months. June 30th is my last day and I am actually looking forward to being officially retired!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Anything you could have foreseen to tell you retiring back then was the right choice? My biggest fear is retiring too late. Could use some of your hindsight.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

For me I wanted to be "extremely" comfortable that I would be set financially without having to save/scrimp/cut corners/worry/etc, or invest aggressively to live in the lifestyle I wanted, once I retired. Once I hit that mark I became greedy and worked a few more years. :nonono: By then I was burned out (or the BS buckets became to full) Looking back now, I would gladly repay my last two years salary if they could give me back those two years of my life to relive, like I want.

Not sure if that helps but that's my hindsight as of today.

Last edited:
Congrats! I gave an update over the last couple of days as well, but I'm not yet retired, but am FI. Love seeing this stuff.....
It's especially interesting when it's people that I remember from the MF boards, don't think there's too many of us left here.

For me I wanted to be "extremely" comfortable that I would be set financially without having to save/scrimp/cut corners/worry/etc, or invest aggressively to live in the lifestyle I wanted, once I retired. Once I hit that mark I became greedy and worked a few more years. :nonono: By then I was burned out (or the BS buckets became to full) Looking back now, I would gladly repay my last two years salary if they could give me back those two years of my life to relive, like I want.

Not sure if that helps but that's my hindsight as of today.

So to my point, hit your number and run would be your advice. The extra buffer isn't worth it if you don't want to be working.

Seems logical.

Congrats! I gave an update over the last couple of days as well, but I'm not yet retired, but am FI. Love seeing this stuff.....
It's especially interesting when it's people that I remember from the MF boards, don't think there's too many of us left here.

I was on the Motley Fool boards, as Retch The Grate there as well, if I recall correctly. Neither here now, nor then there was I a terribly active poster, but I've been plugging away at the saving and investing ever since. :)

Sounds great, congratulations!

I've written my resignation letter but I don't seem to have the courage to hand it over to my boss.

I need to grit my teeth and get out in September so that I can live the rest of my life on MY TERMS!

It is tough but you will feel FANTASTIC after you do it !!!:dance:

So to my point, hit your number and run would be your advice. The extra buffer isn't worth it if you don't want to be working.

Seems logical.

This.

Yesterday I ran into the guy who replaced me at work when I retired on 5/15. It was amazing hearing all of the problems that he is dealing with. I thought to myself, "That was me." A big revelation I've had in the last 6 weeks or so was how much I had made working simply tolerable. There is just no substituting being out of all that. This very moment, were I still working, I would be stuck in awful traffic, on my way to giving my life away to someone else's agenda, rather than mine. Instead, I'm just back from one of my favorite things that I only got to do sporadically on a day off when working: sitting out having coffee at a deserted outdoor cafe watching the early morning begin.

We just returned from a 10 day trip to Quebec city, Ottawa and Montreal to celebrate my one year retirement anniversary. It was supposed to be an 8 day trip but we extended it for a couple of days to watch the first two nights of the Montreal Jazz festival. It felt great to extend a trip as it was not an option while working.........It was a great trip to end a great year:dance:

Appreciate reading the FIRE updates - keep them coming ...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom