Join Early Retirement Today

FIRE - 3 year update
Old 06-15-2015, 06:36 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

FIRE - 3 year update

3 years ago today (@55) I turned in my company badge, keys, and laptop and walked off into the land of FIRE!!

I have never looked back nor regretted any second of it.

My overall health has improved.

I never have a 'bored day' unless I chose to be a bum for a day or so.

Involved in some volunteer work that I find rewarding, spend time doing things I never really had the time to do before.

I owe so much to the ER Forums for both helping me get to that day 3 years ago. The practical tools (FireCalc) as well as the experience of those going before were a tremendous confidence booster.

Thanks to ALL

PS: I would have updated the last 2 years but I have been too busy.
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2015, 07:03 AM   #2
Administrator

Happy anniversary!
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats welcome to the FIRE All Stars.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations. I had my 3 year anniversary just a few months ago. My only complaint/regret so far about retiring is that I should have done it sooner.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Congratulations. I had my 3 year anniversary just a few months ago. My only complaint/regret so far about retiring is that I should have done it sooner.

Anything you could have foreseen to tell you retiring back then was the right choice? My biggest fear is retiring too late. Could use some of your hindsight.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkde View Post
Congratulations ! I love updates but your rationale for not updating sooner is 100% perfect.

Happy anniversary.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

congrats
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkde View Post
I totally get that! Congratulations!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats. I retired at 60 a year and a half ago and went back to work part time the past 6months. June 30th is my last day and I am actually looking forward to being officially retired!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Dcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Anything you could have foreseen to tell you retiring back then was the right choice? My biggest fear is retiring too late. Could use some of your hindsight.

For me I wanted to be "extremely" comfortable that I would be set financially without having to save/scrimp/cut corners/worry/etc, or invest aggressively to live in the lifestyle I wanted, once I retired. Once I hit that mark I became greedy and worked a few more years. By then I was burned out (or the BS buckets became to full) Looking back now, I would gladly repay my last two years salary if they could give me back those two years of my life to relive, like I want.

Not sure if that helps but that's my hindsight as of today.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! I gave an update over the last couple of days as well, but I'm not yet retired, but am FI. Love seeing this stuff.....
It's especially interesting when it's people that I remember from the MF boards, don't think there's too many of us left here.
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

For those of us with less experience, what are the MF boards?
ImThinkin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImThinkin2019 View Post
For those of us with less experience, what are the MF boards?
The first couple of paragraphs on this link will explain what panhead is referring to: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...org-53657.html
Old 06-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
For me I wanted to be "extremely" comfortable that I would be set financially without having to save/scrimp/cut corners/worry/etc, or invest aggressively to live in the lifestyle I wanted, once I retired. Once I hit that mark I became greedy and worked a few more years. By then I was burned out (or the BS buckets became to full) Looking back now, I would gladly repay my last two years salary if they could give me back those two years of my life to relive, like I want.

Not sure if that helps but that's my hindsight as of today.
So to my point, hit your number and run would be your advice. The extra buffer isn't worth it if you don't want to be working.

Seems logical.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead View Post
Congrats! I gave an update over the last couple of days as well, but I'm not yet retired, but am FI. Love seeing this stuff.....
It's especially interesting when it's people that I remember from the MF boards, don't think there's too many of us left here.
I was on the Motley Fool boards, as Retch The Grate there as well, if I recall correctly. Neither here now, nor then there was I a terribly active poster, but I've been plugging away at the saving and investing ever since.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #16
Confused about dryer sheets

Happy Anniversary! Hope you have many more.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #17

Congratulations!

truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds great, congratulations!

I've written my resignation letter but I don't seem to have the courage to hand it over to my boss.

I need to grit my teeth and get out in September so that I can live the rest of my life on MY TERMS!
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

It is tough but you will feel FANTASTIC after you do it !!!
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
So to my point, hit your number and run would be your advice. The extra buffer isn't worth it if you don't want to be working.

Seems logical.
This.

Yesterday I ran into the guy who replaced me at work when I retired on 5/15. It was amazing hearing all of the problems that he is dealing with. I thought to myself, "That was me." A big revelation I've had in the last 6 weeks or so was how much I had made working simply tolerable. There is just no substituting being out of all that. This very moment, were I still working, I would be stuck in awful traffic, on my way to giving my life away to someone else's agenda, rather than mine. Instead, I'm just back from one of my favorite things that I only got to do sporadically on a day off when working: sitting out having coffee at a deserted outdoor cafe watching the early morning begin.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote