FIRE and Fitness

starry night

Recycles dryer sheets
Gee, it just keeps getting better and better.

Just ended my worklife six weeks ago and have dropped 12 pounds without even really trying. Granted, I am much more physically active now, having gotten away from the sedentary trap of the three C's - Commuting, Chained to the Workplace, then Crash on the Couch. And I'm eating better now, having been a stress-eater, self-medicating with food, emotional crash and nosh.

All to the good, but the release from STRESS alone allows a whole new focus on quality of life.

Lovin' it!!!

Good for you Starry Night!

I'm in the process of building aerobic fitness so that when I am able to pull the plug, I'll have a body capable of doing lots of things like hiking, biking, kayaking, and running.

Getting into shape and losing weight is a good thing to do for us worker-bees as well as retirees. It is something everyone should make time for.

Yes!  This is my first real day that I am not going to work.  Fun!  It's gorgeous - sunny, 60's.  I did plan it that way, that my first month off would be May.   :)  DH took the day off to spend it with me, and we went to a local park and took a nice, long walk.  Of course, then we went to the store & picked up some burgers which we threw on the grill for lunch...

I had a nasty habit of eating at my desk when I was frustrated, and I don't have to worry about that anymore.  Taking morning walks is very high on my list of things to do in ER.  I used to take mass transit which involved a bit of walking each day, so I'll have to make sure I make up for that.  But I don't think it will be a problem.

And there will be time now to prepare better foods.  Healthy stuff takes more time than Burger King, but now I'll have the time.

Good for you, Starry Night, getting healthier!!

CJ

just got back from a 3.5 hour bike ride along the edge of the everglades http://loxahatchee.fws.gov . lost a pound or two and got to have a granola bar with an alligator until 3 air boats scared him away, enjoyed about a half dozen blue heron including one which honked indignantly each time i passed by and one which i got to watched catch his own lunch.

my sprints came in handy in trying to pass ibis. they were feeding along the side of the levy. i tried passing quietly but they kept flying ahead of me and settling down. i'd catch up, they'd fly ahead, and so on. finally i figured out that if i got up some speed and then sprinted big time so that i was biking faster than they could fly, i'd get in front of the lead ibis and he'd turn around and go back to his feeding ground.

it worked at first but they must've figured out my madness method because on my return they really gave me quite a run for my money.

That gives me hope. I am putting getting in shape at the top of my priority list starting 06/05/06! I have gained 11 pounds since I went to the doctor a year ago. For the first time in my life, I am overweight!

I agree that I should be active while I worked, but I too fell into the being chained to the computer at work and crashing on the couch at night, especially this last year.

I am glad to hear that you guys are enjoying it.

Dreamer

lazygood4nothinbum said:
just got back from a 3.5 hour bike ride along the edge of the everglades http://loxahatchee.fws.gov . lost a pound or two and got to have a granola bar with an alligator until 3 air boats scared him away, enjoyed about a half dozen blue heron including one which honked indignantly each time i passed by and one which i got to watched catch his own lunch.

my sprints came in handy in trying to pass ibis. they were feeding along the side of the levy. i tried passing quietly but they kept flying ahead of me and settling down. i'd catch up, they'd fly ahead, and so on. finally i figured out that if i got up some speed and then sprinted big time so that i was biking faster than they could fly, i'd get in front of the lead ibis and he'd turn around and go back to his feeding ground.

it worked at first but they must've figured out my madness method because on my return they really gave me quite a run for my money.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I've played a similar game with a deer before, doing sprinting intervals (run at full speed for 100 yards, walk for 100 yards...). The deer soon got bored of me trying to reach it so it jumped over some dense brush and up a very steep slope, knowing there was no way I could follow.

my wife and i are probley in the best shape now than we have ever been...i have to admit we hate going to the gym everyday and dont enjoy cardio much anymore but we do it because we are at the point we feel guilty if we dont

Attachments

• SSCN0229.JPG
    SSCN0229.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 135
  • SSCN0229.JPG_thumb
    41.1 KB · Views: 0
we also do it because we love goodies.....our friends will see us eating ice cream or cake and go we cant believe you work out so hard and eat like this........we go noooooo we work out so hard so we can eat like this! ha ha ha

Veritasophia said:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I've played a similar game with a deer before, doing sprinting intervals (run at full speed for 100 yards, walk for 100 yards...).  The deer soon got bored of me trying to reach it so it jumped over some dense brush and up a very steep slope, knowing there was no way I could follow.

if the wildlife hadn't already er'd we'd have no one to play with. after breakfast today, i think i'll check out the wildlife on the beach.

Back
Top Bottom