Join Early Retirement Today

FIRE and your children's ages?
Old 10-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

FIRE and your children's ages?

We retired earlier this year at age 49. We were FI for a few years before that, but I found it hard to retire while my son was still in high school. It seemed like I needed something to do until he was off to college. I retired in April - just about 6 weeks before his graduation.

Other people I know wait until their kids are in college (or out). I have one friend (my age) whose kids are just 6, 4, and 2. He says he can't think about retirement until his kids are MUCH older (partly money and partly 'being responsible').

How old were / will your youngest child be when you retire? Beyond money, what considerations are there for you??
Kickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #2

I was a late bloomer when it comes to marriage and kids... So my kids are younger than many of my peers. I was 52 when I retired. My youngest was 11 and in 6th grade - my older son was 13 and in 8th grade. We're all 2+ years older now.

So here I sit on a Friday night. Older son has 2 friends over and they're playing old nintendo 64 games on an emulator running on the PC. It's now cool to be retro again. The other son is playing video games and skype chatting with friends.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired 5 months ago at age 46 and have one in high school and 2 in middle school. Wanted to be home with them while they were still young.
OnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retired one month shy of my 57th birthday in 2010. Daughter was 32 and married. Son was 21 and in college. I had planned to work until I was 62, but BS bucket was absolutely overflowing, so I called it a day. I have been consulting ever since, so maybe not fully retired, even though it feels that way to me. I work nowhere near the hours I used to work, love my consulting j*b and make more than when I was fully employed. Who would have thought? Now the plan is to give up the consulting in 3 or fewer years (when I am 66 and can start drawing my 1/2 spousal SS. Made it just under the wire for that one). DH will start drawing his SS in Feb 2018 when he is 66 (I have always been the higher earner). We'll see how it goes.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Started SRE when kids were 16 and 19. They both know/remember the hours that I was working as they grew up. I don't feel that I am setting a good or for that matter a bad example.
Asher Aion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:14 PM   #6

Retired a week shy of 53. Children were 21, 19, 18, 16. Two were in college, one finishing grade 12 and the youngest finishing grade 10.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #7

We will retire next year at age 50. Children ages 23 and 21.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Went part time specifically not to miss this time. Kids are 12, 9 and 5. I think as long as you don't just lay around the house in your big lebowski robe and drink White Russians all day your kids won't really register that you are a bum...I mean, if you are communicating with them, it's easy to say you made the right choices to have this freedom, right?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:32 AM   #9

Being an engaged Dad in my sons' lives was the deciding factor in accepting an early retirement offer by my employer when I was 50 years old, the boys were one and three years old at the time. I enjoyed being a soccer Dad, complete with minivan. Absolutely the best.

They are now 18 and 20, one a freshman in college, the other a HS senior. I've enjoyed always being the Dad who can provide transportation, volunteer soccer coach, and supporting their activities. I've been treasurer of their activities/organizations multiple times.

During this period I have always had a job for at least 3 months each year preparing tax returns, mostly to keep busy in the winter but it brings in extra money and somewhat sets an example for how the world works. Both boys have had jobs earning their spending money since they were 13, first as soccer refs, then working at ice cream treat stand. The older one spent the summer working for the school district's IT department.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:55 AM   #10

retired at 55. children were 30, 26, 15, 8
Old 10-22-2016, 06:57 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Plan to retire next year. Youngest child will be 22. Oldest are in their early 30s.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:04 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I was 45, kids were 12 and 13. Worried at the time I would be setting a bad example by not working. That has never been an issue. I don't think it even registered with them. I have continued to be busy with investing and volunteer work with non-profits.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #13
Administrator

Retired at age 55 when children were aged 29 and 27, both out of college and working but if one had still been in college we would still have retired at 55.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #14

By serendipity, the math says I will be fully FI the same year DD #2 goes off to college.

Whether I RE that year or run up the score a little bit is an open question. Even tho I've already saved what we need to college, it would feel a bit strange to bail out while I have 2 kids in college and I'm in the hurricane of peak college costs.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:45 AM   #15

I was 53 years old, when I retired from my career job. (I worked 5 yrs, part-time after this to finish getting my SS credits). My son was 28 years old and my daughter was 17 1/2 yrs old. We did pay for my daughter's 4 yrs of college.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

DW retired at 36 when elder daughter went to first grade. Now both in middle school. I don’t feel the need to retire. As I leave for work at 8 and come back around 5, I am at home longer than my kids. They have sports and other extra curriculum to attend to. My plan is to retire when my younger daughter goes to college. Looking forward to 2400 more days of happy employment.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retired at 49 when kids were entering 5th, 6th, and 9th grade. It's been great being home to support both school academics and extracurricular activities. Best part of ER IMHO.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #18

Retired at 51...DS was 18 and entering college.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retired at 55, kids were 13 and 10.

Wife had died a year earlier (was a SAHM) and working the way I had would have required a full time nanny. Didn't want someone else raising my kids.
FlaGator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #20

DH and I were both 54 when he lost his job. The kids were 23 and 26, both out of college. We had no debt and no mortgage and he could take a reduced pension in a few months when he turned 55. So that's what he did!

Tags
age, children, kids