Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just before I retired, I bought my first SUV. We needed 4-wheel-drive and high clearance for all the outdoor stuff we planned to do. Needed to lug a lot of gear around. Plus later we did indeed start pulling a trailer, etc.

Shortly after retirement we got rid of the second car (an Accord). Have never bought a sedan since.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Bertha spends most of her days sitting in the garage waiting for us to FIRE!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 321968_6_f.jpg (493.7 KB, 3 views)
serie1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After being FIRE'd for 7 years, I just bough my first new car since 1990 - a 2009 Dodge Caliber. Between the Cash for Clunkers program and Chrysler rebates the car ended up being $9,300 out the door (brand new) I just couldn't resist that. I had been looking for a car since my old clunker a 1990 Astro ( My last new car purchase) had started using too much oil at 242,000 miles (still original engine and transmission).

I was also looking for better mileage since the Astro averages about 17/18 miles to the gallon. I've only had the Caliber a few days but so far I'm happy with 35 mpg. The car feels nice and peppy but I have the 5 speed manual ( I'm out in the bunnies so I don't have to put up with stop and go commuting traffic - what's ER for if not that?). We'll see how it goes.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:39 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here is the wife's car, she gave her jeep to one of the kids. And the silver one is my ride to the golf club. We still have a Chevy Avalanche if we have to haul 4 people or more stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0097.JPG (132.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 021.jpg (45.0 KB, 3 views)
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:36 AM   #45

I prefer the Cherokee ; - )
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
I prefer the Cherokee ; - )

It lasted about 3 month's before the kid totaled it.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:28 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by serie1926 View Post
Bertha spends most of her days sitting in the garage waiting for us to FIRE!
Sitting in the GARAGE? That's sad.........I love Porsches.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
BURN! You returned... And just to express your love of Porsches?
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Welcome back! Yes, I love Porsches too (other people's Porsches, that is -- they are not for me).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:21 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Not to worry, I take her out for a good flogging regularly, but look forward to the day when she becomes my DD.
serie1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:35 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

92 Honda Accord, purchased new, now has over 130K miles
02 Jeep GC, purchased used in 04, has approx 70K miles
05 Mustang 5 speed convertible, purchased new, midlife crisis summer only car , less than 10K miles

FIRED in 07

If the Honda gives out, I will buy a used winter rat with cash.

No car payments!
Old 08-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

When I visit the mainland (like right now) I drive my last purchased-new car - a 91 Mazda 626 with 135K. I leave it parked behind the family business when I leave for home in Hawaii. It was parked 8 months without being started this time. Started right up - though it sounded like a Diesel for a minute. Heck, the clock was still right on time. Unfortunately, the thing is sort of like the Blues-Mobile. Everything is self destructing at the same time. The finish is completely shot, the plastic interior pieces are splitting, the LCD on the radio is blank, the muffler is shot, the air/fuel intake system has a problem which makes every start like a flash-back to driver's Ed, it needs a new timing belt, the turn signals have some sort of short in them, it leaks oil, etc., etc. BUT... it runs and saves me a rental at $30 to $50/day. So until I put a bullet between its headlights, I'm going to continue driving it. I wouldn't be concerned to take it cross country, though I would not do so with DW or without my cell phone. Oh, yeah. It still gets 30+ mpg!

I love the car because it looks so utterly clapped out. No one gets in my way 'cause they sense that I have nothing to lose, heh, heh. Given my choice, I wouldn't own a car worth more than $1K, but DW demands a decent car when we're back home, so we have 2 cars in the 2000 vintage - no more than 100K miles right now. We'll see.

Oh, yeah. YMMV, heh, heh.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Must have had a weak moment. Hey, what do you think about your boy Brett coming back to play for your rival?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I am considering swapping my '06 FIRE Subaru for my son's 2002 Audi S-4. Extremely nice car, very low miles, very nice paint and interior. Only thing holding me back is that my Sub wagon can haul some stuff around, and it is much cheaper to maintain than an S-4.

Ha
Old 08-20-2009, 12:22 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am considering swapping my '06 FIRE Subaru for my son's 2002 Audi S-4. Extremely nice car, very low miles, very nice paint and interior. Only thing holding me back is that my Sub wagon can haul some stuff around, and it is much cheaper to maintain than an S-4.

Ha
Do you have a turbo Subie? If so I don't think you'd find a significant increase in "fun factor" by switching to the S-4. Not enough to cover the ~$5000 higher current value of the Subie. If you have a NA Subie wagon then it's just a matter of frugal vs fun. At my age, being frugal is more important to me right now so i'd stay with the Subie for another decade+. Then go with the more fun car when money's not such a big issue. You may be at that stage now so I can see your dilemma.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

In March I traded in my 1997 Accord (155,000 miles) for a 2008 Prius. I really like the Prius. My insurance only went up about $10.00 per month, and I love my 48.0 - 48.5 miles per gallon. Literally cut my gas costs in half. My wife drives a 1997 Acura with 152,000 miles on it. Will keep that one running as long as we can.
BanDit1 is offline   Reply With Quote