FIRE Celebration, What did you do?

Senator

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As I come around to the home stretch, with only 14 days left in the workforce as I write this, I am wondering what I want to do to celebrate, if anything. A lot of people have asked if I am having a retirement party, and it never really crossed my mind.

I am going to go to a restaurant that evening, or the next one, to have a retirement dinner with my DGF. Nothing fancy, someplace we go to on a regular basis, but it will be a Tuesday or Wednesday, not a Friday or Saturday. Applebee’s, Outback, Red Lobster, etc. We will also have a coupon or some sort of discount. We rarely ever pay full price at a restaurant. When we get home, I will have a celebration beer. I have about 2-3 beers a year, often less, so it is more of a symbolic toast than anything.

We are headed to Branson, MO for a few days shortly after that. I called the resort and requested a more open-ended reservation, so they put me in a different cabin. Adding another 3-4 days might be a good thing, as there will be no hurry to get back.

My friends at work are planning a small celebration at work, and although very much appreciated, I do not consider company events to be a celebration. It’s more of a very nice thank you and good bye.

What did you do for yourself when you left the workforce?

Well Senator, it has been interesting to follow your progress this last year plus as you have been preparing for this (upcoming) day. My retirement from the Marine Corps was a smaller casual get together at my beach house. No pomp and circumstance. I plan on doing even less when I retire for good here in about 2 years. I'm not a guy who likes the attention or accolades. I'm looking forward to reading your post retirement posts. Good luck.

I didn't do a formal retirement ceremony from the Air Force as I had "suffered" through WAY TOO many in my career and I didn't want others to suffer through mine! ;) But the "bubbas" I flew with did a lunch at our favorite lunch place. Since our group totaled 6 people..it was very reasonable and low key. Just the way I like it.

About a week later, I had a small get-together at the house for a very small group of folks in which I set my alarm clock on fire. I got it the first week of AF tech school and used it until the last day of w*rk. It was VERY cathartic to burn that box of evil!

Speaking of military retirement, I know it's not the norm to retire FOR GOOD after the service, but most folks I have known have at least taken a sabbatical before starting their bridge careers but a good friend of mine had his retirement ceremony last Friday and started his new job the VERY NEXT MONDAY! I tell you, some people are CRAZY!!!

And you know what...I now haven't touched an airplane in almost 2 years. Perhaps I need to think about a new username...FlyBoy just doesn't really fit anymore.

Last edited:
Had a little get together at work the last day, a cake and said goodbye. Then hopped into the car and headed to the Berkshires for a 4th of July week stay in a timeshare. On the way there I hit a bear that ran out in front of me on the Massachusetts turnpike. That added a little excitement and delay but at the end of the day I was sitting on the balcony with an adult beverage in hand and a big smile on my face. Of course I was thinking to myself what the hell have I just done! 😁

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Workmates had two in-office parties for me.

One was fairly formal; had a cake with agency's symbol painted on it, plus homemade goodies; I was presented with various certificates, coins, etc. and some of the larger wigs came by to say nice things and give good wishes.

The other was in the middle of the night (I retired from a shift work job) and had less food, no certificates, but various people made observations about me that can only come from having worked very weird hours together.

At home, we are not big celebrators, and this was no different. Plus, it didn't feel like retirement because I had so much other stuff to catch up with.

Last edited:
I didn't go to Branson(been in the state too long)!

A few of my team took me out for a great lunch. Another coworker organized a get together for a hundred or so. Few beers and laughs at a watering hole I called home for awhile.

The best celebration was the following Monday when the alarm was silent!

Our retirement will be either 2 or 3 years hence. We've got a few bottles of 1977 vintage Port down in the cellar, so I'm thinking we'll crack one of those open to celebrate.

Congratulations.

Closing on the sale of my business next week, 3 days per week until December 31 and then retired.

My wife asked me about a retirement party and I also passed. Just booked a house on St. Maarten with a pool on the beach starting January 1. Tried to book St. Barts but the prices were ridiculous. Should give us a nice relaxing place to plan more vacations.

Last year when it happened I celebrated by "collapsing" in Palm Springs with one of my favorite people in the world. It took me a full year of decompressing before I wanted to do any serious travel.

I bought a Yamaha TW200 so I could ride in the dirt.

At least 10 years to go for me. I suspect it will be like when we paid off the house. We told almost no one, and simply kept doing as we'd been doing. Spouse and I aren't big on parties and attention.

IRT the OP, I had a formal retirement ceremony in connection with my Navy retirement. That night, my spouse and two adult daughters went out to dinner. The following evening, I had a big party at my house. Shortly thereafter, my wife and I spent a weekend in NYC, saw a couple of plays, ate out. She had been wanting to see an aunt in CA, so we also took a trip out there while I was off. When I finally retired for good 7 years later, I came home the last day, drank some beer and that was it.

Speaking of military retirement, I know it's not the norm to retire FOR GOOD after the service, but most folks I have known have at least taken a sabbatical before starting their bridge careers but a good friend of mine had his retirement ceremony last Friday and started his new job the VERY NEXT MONDAY! I tell you, some people are CRAZY!!!

I am totally with you on that. I didn't have a job lined up when I retired from the Navy. My game plan was to take a minimum of 90 days between Navy retirement and a second job. It turned out to be closer to 120 but that was fine. I too have known people who retired on Friday and returned to work on Monday. There must be a good reason for doing that but I've never really understood what it is.s

Did a "happy hour" at work from 4-6 so people could stop by and say goodbye. The next week went out for a very nice meal and had 6-7 people fly in from all over U.S. and Canada and just whooped it up.

Was going to have a party at my house but who really cares?

My retirement gift was money for all sorts of golf gear and my broker bought me a trip to Pebble Beach which I will be taking this next week. Can't wait.

Well, let's see. That was almost 11 years ago. Monday was Labor Day. Tues., I made my announcement (to my direct boss). Wed., I cleaned my desk, Thurs. I was on travel to another plant site. Friday I had my exit interview. I said something like "WhoooHooo!" in the car on the way home. That was MY FIRE celebration. YMMV

I remember on the way home from work the last day, the sky seemed bluer, the grass and trees greener, and the music on my car radio sounded better than ever. Took my wife out for a reasonably priced dinner and got a GREAT night's sleep. I was told that I would have a work farewell reception by the boss, so I had one and it was OK - but I was glad when it was done.

I didn't do a formal retirement ceremony from the Air Force as I had "suffered" through WAY TOO many in my career and I didn't want others to suffer through mine! ;)
I didn't have a retirement ceremony, and 14 years later I'm still glad that I skipped it. I've seen way too many steely-eyed killers of the deep start blubbering at the podium when they're trying to thank their families. I was not going to take that risk.

Our instructor department had a cookout outside one of our buildings on Ford Island (in the middle of Pearl Harbor). It was a good chance for everyone to share memories and farewells... because Facebook didn't exist back then.

I also joined our command's civil-service staff a month later at one of their regular lunches. That was a nice way to say farewells without the chain of command being present.

On the first day of my retirement, as a long-running joke, we took family surfing lessons from a lifeguard at White Plains Beach. My daughter stood up on her first push into a wave, my spouse needed a couple attempts, and it took me considerably longer. I immediately realized that I was hooked, and I started surfing several times a week. It was the beginning of a great father-daughter activity, and years later I'm still stoked.

Exit interviews, last-minute questions, and the retirement ceremony - Military Guide

I am totally with you on that. I didn't have a job lined up when I retired from the Navy. My game plan was to take a minimum of 90 days between Navy retirement and a second job. It turned out to be closer to 120 but that was fine. I too have known people who retired on Friday and returned to work on Monday. There must be a good reason for doing that but I've never really understood what it is.s
Money. Or at the very least, the insecurity of abandoning a regular paycheck.

I still remember our military transition seminar when the speaker said that the first retirement check wouldn't arrive for a month-- and if there were processing delays then it'd take six weeks. A stunned silence filled the room for a few seconds, followed by horrified reactions and even a few who insisted that the speaker must be mistaken.

There were people in that room who weren't able to survive four weeks between deposits, let alone six.

We had upgraded our RV a month prior to FIRE'ing, and so we left immediately for a three week RV trip, to not only celebrate, but also to test the waters and see if we enjoyed being on the road for that long. (Which we did :) ) We woke up every morning of the trip feeling giddy that we didn't have to go to work. It was such fun!

Last edited:
Work folks wanted to through a party for me at work since I'd been there a couple of decades (and several corporate name changes)... but I declined. Instead I offered to buy everyone a beer at the Green Flash tasting room that was literally across the street from work. My boss and some of my closer coworkers decided it needed to start sooner than 5pm... so it was good my husband had decided to take the bus over... so he could drive me and my car home.

As for personal celebrations (outside of work folks).... nothing special. Just started looking into some of my goals (signing up for Italian, planning our big trip, etc.)

I just faded off into the sunset and started packing boxes for the move to WV.

Bought a brand new golf cart. Actually my employer gave me the money for a new cart as a going away gift. Very nice of them.

My last day was rather uneventful. I was trying to get done my last project which I barely did at 4 PM, 45 minutes before I would walk out the door for the last time.

I declined to have a luncheon but my best friend at the office took me out to lunch at our favorite area diner. There was a gathering at my desk in the afternoon where some of my coworkers gave me money they would have spent on the lunch. It came out to about $160. I made a brief speech of thanks and everyone including me returned to work.

My ride home on the train had me getting choked up, as it would be the very last time I would make that long, awful trip home from work. Nearly in tears, I staggered home on the short walk from the LIRR train station. I opened up my apartment door, dropped my stuff, closed the door, and yelled out, "I'm FREE!!!!!"

My friend came over for our weekly Scrabble games and my ladyfriend also came over, a typical Friday night at my place back then.

And that is how my ER began.

My managers and their teams gave me a surprise send off meeting with a video montage to the song "Time of your life" by Green Day. Of course I choked up. No thank you or good-byes from my senior management.
DH and I spent the weekend on Lopez Island and that first evening we celebrated with champagne and fresh crab while listening to Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler sitting by the fire pit overlooking the water and surrounding islands. It was great!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I worked for a nonprofit and so our board gave me a retirement event and lots of people came from the community. Being an introvert, it was a nightmare being the center of attention. My personal celebration came the next Monday morning when I woke up and didn't have to go to work!

Soon afterwards, we went on a trip with my daughter and 5 grandchildren. It was the first time in 30+ years that my workplace hadn't had to call me on a vacation. 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom