Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #21
Administrator

Another episode of "Trial by Media"?
Quote:
Tech guru John McAfee told ABC News in his first broadcast interview that he did not kill his neighbor Gregory Faull, and is now in hiding, fearful of what he calls a "corrupt government" in Belize that he believes is trying to kill him.
"I am a very nice guy and certainly innocent of the charges leveled against me," McAfee told ABC News by phone on Wednesday.
Belize Murder: John McAfee Tells ABC News He Is Innocent and Fearful of a 'Corrupt Government' - ABC News
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Well, I hear he he made his money in some sort of antivirus business. Sounds like he probably used a gallon of the stuff each workday to get his desk sanitized.

If I were him, I would assume alot of points had been awarded and pour the anti virus on the desk thick....
Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If any one of us had a 100 million in 1994, I think we all would be quite content. It always amazes me how folks who get a windfall (lottery winners, athletes, movie stars, etc) blow through awesome fortunes and then wonder what happened.

I'm not too sympathetic to the guy. He brought it on himself.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Apparently he's 67 and has a 17 year old live in girlfriend. Teenies are legal in Belize.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

The guy reminds me of a more decadent version of Richard Branson.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I hear Country Joe singing

Altogether now, 1, 2, 3 who do we hate today?
Let's really make 'em pay
Then we will have-a-nice day...

Ha
Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #27

Belize is corrupt and not exactly the country that would take nicely to someone who refuses to go along. Like almost all third world countries, human rights is not respected. Whether he is guilty or not, they will find a way to pin it in him out of pure retribution.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
If any one of us had a 100 million in 1994, I think we all would be quite content. It always amazes me how folks who get a windfall (lottery winners, athletes, movie stars, etc) blow through awesome fortunes and then wonder what happened.

I'm not too sympathetic to the guy. He brought it on himself.
Search the internet for "Vince Young" and read his troubles. He has made at least a guaranteed $25M, but likely much, much more. In the 6 years since he started professional football, it is all gone. All gone.

Two downfalls:
- trusting the wrong people to handle your affairs
- ridiculous, frivolous spending
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67walkon View Post
A rumor floating around the internet way back when was that some sort of super computer virus was coming that would destroy the technological world as we knew it. John announced he had anti-virus software that could defeat it. Part of the internet rumor was that he created the virus itself.
Is "way back when" around '03? That sounds an awfully lot like an internet/urban legend wrung from a sub-plotline of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.

Tyro
Old 11-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Two downfalls:
- trusting the wrong people to handle your affairs
- ridiculous, frivolous spending
These two often seem to go hand-in-hand.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

McAfee is a good example of a guy who was in the right place at the right time, did a good job, and got rich as a result. But that fortuitous success apparently caused him to overrate his abilities with disastrous financial consequences. So, I don't feel any sympathy for him and I think is one of the clever, but not really smart people in the world.

But beyond that, it is remarkable that he is conducting a sophisticated PR campaign while on the run from the police for murder, shrewdly getting his narrative out before the official one, thereby anchoring the discussion. My guess is that McAfee could well be guilty of the murder. His talent for self-promotion is not a reason to believe his version over that of the authorities.
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I hear he he made his money in some sort of antivirus business. Sounds like he probably used a gallon of the stuff each workday to get his desk sanitized.
Remember the fad about sitting on the copy machine in different stages of dress/undress, hitting COPY then the FAX button to send to a random number...
Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I hear Country Joe singing

Altogether now, 1, 2, 3 who do we hate today?
Let's really make 'em pay
Then we will have-a-nice day...

Ha
Gimme an "F"...

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Remember the fad about sitting on the copy machine in different stages of dress/undress, hitting COPY then the FAX button to send to a random number...
Yeah, I remember one story about a guy breaking through the platten glass while doing that stunt. Try explaining THAT in the emergency room, or to the boss.

"This ain't gonna look good on the workman's comp application . . . "
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Yeah, I remember one story about a guy breaking through the platten glass while doing that stunt. Try explaining THAT in the emergency room, or to the boss.
I'm sure they've (ER proctologists) seen much worse.... "It was a million to one shot, Doc!"

Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

John McAfee, while on the run, is still blogging on his personal website.

A quote:
Quote:
The traffic won’t peak until after I post the comments I have in reserve. My philosophy is to post the little things first, then build up to the big. The biggest is still a few weeks away. As I told Chad yesterday — have patience. I have been doing this since long before you were born. This is not yet even the beginning.
www.whoismcafee.com
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
Belize is corrupt
You're entitled to your POV of course. But by Chicago standards, Belize is the home of integrity and honor. It's all relative.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet

You're entitled to your POV of course. But by Chicago standards, Belize is the home of integrity and honor. It's all relative.
I take it you've never lived in the third world. Cannot be compared to the worst in America.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I don't know much about John McAfee to see if he would likely commit the crimes that he was accused of. However, there is enough evidence to see that he lacks this quality: LBYM. That alone is sufficient to cause him plenty of hardship, let alone legal trouble.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

He just gave a live interview on CNBC. Supposedly on a satellite phone in the middle of a jungle. He's hiding out. Almost seemed to be enjoying the fugitive thing. He comes off like a Trump type personality wise, only much more bizarre. What a weirdo.