Join Early Retirement Today

FIRE --- How long to decompress and normalize
Old 01-16-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FIRE --- How long to decompress and normalize

I intend to FIRE later this year.

I have been in a prolonged "disgusted with w*rk" mood for about 5 years now with only brief respites in my outlook about my j*b.

How long did it take you to decompress and normalize after leaving the Dog eat Dog Rat Race?
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
How long did it take you to decompress and normalize after leaving the Dog eat Dog Rat Race?
Not sure, but it did take me a couple of years to get that silly grin off my face...
Old 01-16-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
gone traveling

Decompress? About one day. Seriously, I was ready, and spent the previous 3+ years before retirement preparing for the transition (financially and emotionally), so it was not like walking off a bridge.

Normalize? Still working on it, over three years later. After having many j*bs over 45 years, I really don't know what "normal" is; however, I'm trying to get a handle on it. Give me another 30 years or so - maybe I'll figure it out...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It took my MIL about 6 months before she had really rebounded. Seems like most people require 6 to 12 months, from what I have seen.

When I get there, I expect it will take more like a year because we will be relocating at the same time.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
It took my MIL about 6 months before she had really rebounded. Seems like most people require 6 to 12 months, from what I have seen.
Glad the OP asked, and this answer would be my guess. I am sure once I retire I will still wake up in the middle of the night and start tackling a work issue in my head, and then realize that it's not my problem anymore. Hopefully I'll chuckle and go back to sleep...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't hate my work nor was I disgusted with it. I was also able to leave it behind when on vacation quite easily.

It took me a couple of weeks to stop waking up at 6am and a couple of months to stop dreaming of work issues. I felt the stress drop off immediately. Two and a half years later, I still dream of work occasionally.

I was surprised by the importance that money took on after ER. For weeks I was thinking about it a lot - do we have enough, are we spending too much, are we invested correctly, what's the market doing. But that went away and I have a more balanced outlook now.

Anticipation is part of the joy of ER - relish it.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #7

Work was no longer fun or enjoyable, partially because I knew I didn't have to if I didn't want to. A summer of playing golf almost daily and riding my motorcycle almost daily helped speed the decompression process immensely.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

It took me four months to decompress and find a new life . The first few months I slept for incredible amounts and around the third month I started to get bored and joined a gym and started seriously selling on ebay .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
A week at most. It was like leaving behind an old, worn-out skin.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

"Decompress"? Maybe a few weeks of 2-3-hour naps to catch up on 20+ years of chronic fatigue. I took 100 days of leave and other acronyms before my actual retirement date, though, so by my first surfing lesson I was plenty decompressed.

"Normalize"? That's probably still a work in progress. Normalize as compared to what?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not sure, but it did take me a couple of years to get that silly grin off my face...
+1

Retirement is like an extended weekend... no, better than that, it is more like an extended vacation... no, better than that because you never have to return!

I'd say give yourself a month to figure out when you want to sleep, to then catch up on your sleep and practice napping, to figure out a new routine that you enjoy, and things like that. Don't really expect yourself to accomplish much of anything else for the first month other than enjoying your freedom. But really, it is amazing how fast the stress and baloney just falls off one's shoulders immediately after retirement.

One of the most wonderful things is watching the traffic reports on TV in the morning, while the worker bees are commuting and stuck in traffic. That is, it is wonderful if you happen to be awake in the morning at all!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

A co-worker has told me to quit as soon as I can, and that the first year especially is great. On that, I'd say a year.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Took me no time at all because I had been working part-time for the previous 7 years, including the most recent 2 years only 2 days a week. Therefore, it was not a big transition from working 2 days a week to zero days a week. Working had become a nuisance to my nonwork life so I was simply ridding myself of it and the lousy commute which went with it.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Going on Five years of FIRE now. It doesn't take long, and pretty soon you'll wonder why you ever thought about words like "decompress" and "normalize". Them's w__king words!

To quote a band (Timbuk 3) whose song my band likes to play, pretty soon you too will be singing,

Things are going great, and they're only getting better
I'm doing all right, getting good grades
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades
I gotta wear shades
Old 01-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #15

It took 6 months of naps and doing little jobs around the house that hadn't been done before I started looking for a regular routine.

About that smile? It's still there 2 years later.

-- Rita
Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

6 months to decompress.

12 months (6 additional) to really get into the spirit of figuring out what I wanted to spend the next 5 years doing.

Audrey
Old 01-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
It's been a while...
About 3 months to decompress, slept a lot.
Have no idea what is normal but can create/change schedules/practices whenever I want.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
6 months to decompress.

12 months (6 additional) to really get into the spirit of figuring out what I wanted to spend the next 5 years doing.

Audrey
That's reassuring to hear. I expect it will take me at least that long to figure out what I want to be when I grow up...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Probably took me 4 or 5 months, but six month in I still have relapses. I still feel like I have somewhere to go sometimes. I find myself just vegging in front of the computer like I did after work and on weekends trying to relax. Old habits die hard. But it's fun every time I realize I'm retired and can do what I want. I am developing a cuple of new hobbies and have begun writing, the "work" I prefer.

Honestly, I'm probably a bad example. I have two kids at home. It's not exactly what you usually think of as retirement. There are schedules, meetings, etc. DW and I can't just drop and go. In a year or so, they should be old enough to leave over night. In 5 1/2, they will be out (or they better be).

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Decompression time: 1.5 hours after my going away party
Adjustment: ongoing at 3 months.

Most of my friends busily went about rearranging their schedules so they were packed with things they enjoyed doing, but their lives are very business like in structure: gym at 8, golf at 10, volunteer M and Thu from 9 to 5, etc.

I took the opposite approach: cleaned the slate right away, figuring I'd add things that I like one at a time when it felt right. So far, very few things make the cut. I remain embarrassed at how much I enjoy lazy-bumhood. This will pass.

Right?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote