FIRE in Tennessee?

firemediceric

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm looking to retire to Eastern Tennessee. That will happen in 4 years. I'll be 54 years old. Employment, schools, and some other issues aren't a concern for me as they may be for younger people with families. I am concerned about the overall cost of living, the weather and the area I'll be living in. Anywhere I go must be NFA item friendly, which I read is happening more and more in Tennessee.

I would like a modest home that is secluded. I'd like the home nestled in a wooded area with privacy from neighbors. Despite the seclusion I desire, I enjoy convenience. I've done some research of the Bristol/Jefferson City/Tri-Cities area. The convenience of a close Walmart, Lowe's and plenty of restaurants had me liking those areas better than the Telico Plains area where it seemed the conveniences were further away.

It seems the Jefferson City area has temperatures that are generally a few degrees cooler in the summer than Maryville or some of the other areas I'm considering. I don't golf, fish or do much else. I like nice views, walking in the woods with my dogs, and enjoying the nice views in comfortable weather where I'm not always perspiring as I currently do in Florida.

Also thinking about the Cosby area. Winfield and Scott County,although being the absolute furthest to the west I'd consider, have been recommended to me as areas I would like for their affordable property and easy going quiet pace.

Thank you

:)Eastern TN is gorgeous. It borders my state's western border. Any medium size city should have everything on your punch list. Chattanooga is pretty awesome as well. Good luck!

I call Upper.East Tennessee the Secret State of Tennessee. I traveled the back roads extensively for 20 years before ER. There are places where you cannot average more than 25 mph in a car.

For a little larger city, Johnson City and the adjacent Jonesborough are very nice cities,.and they have the university culture and medical.school. I also like Greeneville, 25 miles south--#1 agriculture county in the state. Morristown is also very popular,.and they are.just.off:I-81. Jeff.City is just south of.Morristown--north of Dandridge.

For.sure beauty and.mountain scenery, it is.hard to beat Unicoi County and the town of Erwin. That is on the Interstate on the NC state line north of Asheville and south of Johnson City.

You mentioned Cosby, and it is 10 miles east of a busy Gatlinburg. There are some resort properties out there. Tellico Plains is the gateway to a wilderness scenic road where there.is some 200,000 acres of protected bear habitat--where Eastern European Boar run free. It is probably 35 miles south of Knoxville.I

What I most like most about East Tennessee are the people. They are very real--quick to laugh, tell stories and jokes. And if.you look close, you will even find some old school hillbilly types.

Last edited:
I used to live in Knoxville and LOVED IT and it is #1 on our places to retire to. Great scenery, great people and pretty darn good weather too with 4 seasons. Summers can get hot, but it is all relative to what you are used to. I grew up in FL, so the TN summers were less humid to me. Tri-Cities area is nice too...you really can't go wrong with East Tennessee and will find the right "fit" for you.

I am set to visit Fairfield Glades in Crossville, Tn in September. Is anyone familiar with the Glades and the Crossville area?

Thanks for any response,

VW

Van Winkle- let me know what you think of the Fairfield Glade/Crossvillel area. I am an avid golfer, but hate the heat and humidity of the south. Live in Charlotte, NC now- but toto hot here! i do not mind taking some months off in the winter- just not 6 like i had to in NY

Van Winkle- let me know what you think of the Fairfield Glade/Crossvillel area. I am an avid golfer, but hate the heat and humidity of the south. Live in Charlotte, NC now- but toto hot here! i do not mind taking some months off in the winter- just not 6 like i had to in NY

The area was beautiful with about 2000 elevation on the Cumberland plateau.

The golf courses were great with many holes having scenic elevation changes.

I looked at 5 model homes and 1 existing home. 2300 Square Foot ranch was 265,000 with property taxes of 900 per year.

My wife's biggest complaint was a lack of upscale shopping in this area. It has the normal Walmart and Target, Home Depot, but you have to go to Knoxville for any Dillards/Macy/ Outlet Malls.

I would move there and rent for a year to test the waters, but my wife is not convinced. We will wait for the Grandkids to get older before making the move.

Temperature is around 89-90 in the summer with cool nights per the locals.

Model homes were very nice and 200-300,000 range. Many less expensive existing homes in the area. HOA of 90.00 per month in Fairfield Glade.

VW

Crossville may not have the mall shopping, however West Knoxville's upscale shopping areas are 1 hour away. The town is 127 miles from Nashville--all interstate. Needless to say that's where the entertainment is. Cookeville is the dominant city in the region with Tennessee Tech University there offering culture.

Let me just say that Crossville is the least diverse city in the region. You have the locals, then you have the GM and Ford retirees from Michigan living in the country club resorts. They also have a very fine Summer Stock theater that is quite busy in the summer.

Crossville is up on a plateau, and there is a mountain to the east. However the Obed River is a short distance to the NE, and it is some of the best whitewater in the U.S.--completely natural.

Also to the northeast of Crossville is the Big South Fork national recreational area, which is 125,000 of wilderness managed by the National Park Service. It is every bit as beautiful as the Smokey Mountains, and an off roader's paradise. It's also got a bunch of horse trails. Northwest is Dale Hollow Lake, one of the premier fishing lakes in the U.S. The Tennessee River is 45 minutes to the east, another premier cruising lake.

The areas to the west of Knoxville just have so many things to do, especially for the nature lover.

Crossville may not have the mall shopping, however West Knoxville's upscale shopping areas are 1 hour away. The town is 127 miles from Nashville--all interstate. Needless to say that's where the entertainment is. Cookeville is the dominant city in the region with Tennessee Tech University there offering culture.

Let me just say that Crossville is the least diverse city in the region. You have the locals, then you have the GM and Ford retirees from Michigan living in the country club resorts. They also have a very fine Summer Stock theater that is quite busy in the summer.

Crossville is up on a plateau, and there is a mountain to the east. However the Obed River is a short distance to the NE, and it is some of the best whitewater in the U.S.--completely natural.

Also to the northeast of Crossville is the Big South Fork national recreational area, which is 125,000 of wilderness managed by the National Park Service. It is every bit as beautiful as the Smokey Mountains, and an off roader's paradise. It's also got a bunch of horse trails. Northwest is Dale Hollow Lake, one of the premier fishing lakes in the U.S. The Tennessee River is 45 minutes to the east, another premier cruising lake.

The areas to the west of Knoxville just have so many things to do, especially for the nature lover.

Thanks for the info Bamaman!!!

Back
Top Bottom