Join Early Retirement Today

Re: FIRE isn't for everybody
Old 04-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
I think some big name managers can't handle the loss of being "the boss."* They are no longer groveled to or spread fear when they walk into a room with a frown.* People don't jump and run at their every bark.* They enjoy the company politics and power struggles.
There is no question that if you are in a position of authority within an organization, your "sphere of influence" is much, much larger than that of a retiree. A lot of people get major ego gratification from being in positions of power. They tend to continue to work, or serve on boards, or some position where they still enjoy major influence.

This aspect of retirement should not be ignored. If you get a great deal of ego gratification from your job - that needs to be replaced. Otherwise you might become deeply depressed in retirement.

Audrey
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Judging by the past few days activities, it would appear the inmates are in charge.
Huh...honestly things havent been exactly peaceful, but I've seen a lot worse, quite often, for good size periods of time.

Am I missing something?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:21 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
*Cut-Throat, Jarhead, and many others can't imagine being hunted down, clapped in irons, and strapped to a cubicle going back to work.

Nords: *I never worked in a cubicle, but you are batting 1,000 with your observation.

However, I've always maintained that it is not as easy as it looks.

You have to be willing to trade your "ego" for independence. *(No problems in that area for me).

For me personally, it has been "what's not to like about it"?

As long as you aren't short-changing your obligations, re: children, etc. etc.

Makes perfect sense to me that if you've got the above covered, (unless you believe in reincarnation) to place yourself in an area and situation that you are compatable with, and do what the hell you want to do for the balance of your life. *(It goes by quick).

Given an opportunity to re-live my decision, it would be "The best decision I ever made in my life was to give myself and my wife an opportunity to experience life without the shackles, and reqirements of having to comprimise myself to meet obligations."

Now, if it would stop "raining", and I could get out to the d--- course, it would be hunky-dory.

If this keeps up, I may have to visit ReWahoo, or Eagle43 in Texas to tee it up.

Jarhead

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Yep

I tryed to avoid those guys at my monthly retiree luncheons - even so I got nailed once in while - judging science fairs, putting together city playground equipment, etc.

Those types usually find a way to stay active in organized volunteer efforts of some sort. The INTJ types tended toward individual stuff - hospital volunteering was popular where I was.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
A lot of people get major ego gratification from being in positions of power.* They tend to continue to work, or serve on boards, or some position where they still enjoy major influence.

This aspect of retirement should not be ignored.* If you get a great deal of ego gratification from your job - that needs to be replaced.* Otherwise you might become deeply depressed in retirement.
You described my FIL. He served on everything and still tries to now although he's not on the A list for any organization. He has stacks of plaques and awards for his service. He commented once about making sure the family takes care of these "after he's gone." I laughed all the way home. That was one of many instances my DW probably evaluated divorcing me. My idea of taking care of them involves a dumpster.

My rebuttal to DW was to ask her if she'd like me to follow in his footsteps where I go straight from fulltime work to fulltime volunteer organizational officer. My in-laws never did squat during their retirement. He still "worked" and was gone most of the day every day. She kept the house.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Among all the advice - well meaning all - DH received when he recently pulled the plug was from a neighbor who told him about a friend of hers who puts in 50+ volunteer hours per week helping other people get jobs. This guy ER'd from Shell or Exxon about 5 years ago and went straight into this, felt it was his duty to give something back. He couldn't stand the thought of being at home doing nothing/going on vacation/fishing/golfing etc.

It takes all sorts....
Old 04-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I helped man the free beer booth for a couple days during a festival promoting local businesses once.

Somehow all that hard work was meaningful as I 'knew' the true feeling of : giving back to the community!!!

heh heh heh heh heh - never got my ugly mug on TV though cause I skipped the PBS telecons when they needed volunteers - just shy I guess.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #28

The best part about PBS is how they interupt the program every 5 minutes to tell you how lucky we have commercial free television brought to you by Cargill or BP or Exxon Mobil or........
Old 04-03-2006, 06:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Nords: *I never worked in a cubicle, but you are batting 1,000 with your observation.

However, I've always maintained that it is not as easy as it looks.

You have to be willing to trade your "ego" for independence. *(No problems in that area for me).

For me personally, it has been "what's not to like about it"?

As long as you aren't short-changing your obligations, re: children, etc. etc.

Makes perfect sense to me that if you've got the above covered, (unless you believe in reincarnation) to place yourself in an area and situation that you are compatable with, and do what the hell you want to do for the balance of your life. *(It goes by quick).

Given an opportunity to re-live my decision, it would be "The best decision I ever made in my life was to give myself and my wife an opportunity to experience life without the shackles, and reqirements of having to comprimise myself to meet obligations."

Now, if it would stop "raining", and I could get out to the d--- course, it would be hunky-dory.

If this keeps up, I may have to visit ReWahoo, or Eagle43 in Texas to tee it up.

Jarhead

This is an incisive post, with carpe diem woven into it.* And Jarhead, come on down; I play putt-putt pretty good.

BTW:* To present the opposite view, 60 minutes had a clip on people working 60-80 hours weekly yesterday.* They entitled it WORKING 24/7 One couple even sent each other IMs from the other room.* They claimed to love the stress.* I had a boss like that; couldn't leave it alone, even when on vacation.* I think it's an addiction, probably to the computer technology.* They wouldn't be carping about how wonderful work was if they had to handle a shovel 80 hours a week.*

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:54 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Jarhead

Golfing has been just fine here in Mississippi. Played Saturday and Sunday.* * I'm headed out with some buddies tomorrow to go to the Masters for Wednesday's practice round. Gonna stop and play a Robert Trent Jones course along the way.

Life is good!*
Old 04-03-2006, 07:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
This is an incisive post, with carpe diem woven into it.* And Jarhead, come on down; I play putt-putt pretty good.

BTW:* To present the opposite view, 60 minutes had a clip on people working 60-80 hours weekly yesterday.* They entitled it WORKING 24/7 One couple even sent each other IMs from the other room.* They claimed to love the stress.* I had a boss like that; couldn't leave it alone, even when on vacation.* I think it's an addiction, probably to the computer technology.* They wouldn't be carping about how wonderful work was if they had to handle a shovel 80 hours a week.*
I didn't see the clip you are talking about. But your
observation makes sense to me. (I know my adult daughters
work experience and mine are polls apart, re: conditions.

My last 10 years with the Corp. I worked for was as Regional
Manager. My time was fully accounted for, and spent most
of it "putting out fires", working with legal dept., re: personnel
problems, etc. etc. A high tolerence for pain was the best asset
to bring to the table. Truly 24/7.

I think this is the first time I've ever posted anything regarding
my prev. life. (Not worth the possible "flashbacks"

After 21 years, my tolerence for pain had been stretched to
the "doesn't make sense anymore stage".

The best decision I've ever made for myself, and my family,
was to get out of that "toxic" environment when I did.

I've now spent almost as much time being a "Golf" and fly-fishing
bum as I did with that corporation.

Raining again today. Never seen anything like it since I've moved
to the Sierras. We usually get a little rain in March, and next to none
in April. It's rained almost non-stop for last month or so.
Putt-Putt sounds good.

Jarhead

Old 04-03-2006, 08:00 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Yep - there is something called "workaholism". *IMO with working filling up the mind there is no room for worries or thinking about anything else. *It can become an "escape" mixed with the adrenaline rush of the occasional crises and the inspired feeling that you are really accomplishing something due to all the furor. *You can "forget yourself" in it, and some folks get to prefer that situation.

One of my peers - more well off than me when I retired (probably by 2x) - wasn't about to leave his job because he really didn't want to be at home with his kids all the time. *I guess the weekends were enough to have him happy to be back at work every Monday. * He had actually created himself a rather cushy job - minimal stress.

Audrey
Old 04-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #33

I was in one of those situations that I wanted to be anywhere but home and work was the only outlet. It really pushed me along as far as money and position and put me where I am today to be even considering an early retirement. I'm not in that situation now (thankfully) so I can see myself retiring but if that person was still in my life I'd probably never quit. It does take your focus away from what ever problems are at home.

I have a person here that's not happy at home, he's always here, most think he's a company man, I know better.

I also saw that segment on 60 minutes, that couple that Im each other while at home are sick, I felt sorry for the child.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
Golfing has been just fine here in Mississippi. Played Saturday and Sunday.* * I'm headed out with some buddies tomorrow to go to the Masters for Wednesday's practice round. Gonna stop and play a Robert Trent Jones course along the way.

Life is good!*
Dog 51: I remember from a prev. post of yours that you would be going to the Masters.

Glad you're enjoying your good weather, and taking advantage of it.

Doesn't get much better than heading for the Masters, and playing a RTJ course on the way.

Speaking of the Masters, lefty (Phil Mickleson) just won yesterdays Bellsouth by one of the largest winning margins in history.

Appears he's got his A game going. Should be interesting.

Have fun,

Jarhead
Old 04-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Raining again today. Never seen anything like it since I've moved
to the Sierras. We usually get a little rain in March, and next to none
in April. It's rained almost non-stop for last month or so.
This is something, isnt it? I feel like I moved to Seattle in my sleep about six weeks ago :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #36

So now we should refer to you as Cute Moldy Bunny?

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

CFB

Don't go - my sister called yesterday - the weather hasn't been that great in Seattle this year either. The whole coast must be having an off year - whereas we broke the record for warm winters in this part of MO.

heh heh heh
Old 04-03-2006, 10:17 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
This is something, isnt it?* I feel like I moved to Seattle in my sleep about six weeks ago :P
Yeah, we didn't sign up for this, did we?

We sprung a leak in our roof this A.M., and
my wife won't allow me to crawl around there anymore. Are you doing anything this afternoon?

Old 04-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Yeah. Taking my kid to the mall to run around 'cuz its too wet for him to play in the yard. :P

I wouldnt sweat the leak unless its massive. Theres been so much wind and rain you probably had enough get to a tiny hole or seam to soak through the sheeting. Which has now swollen from the water. Once the rain stops and everything dries out you might not have the leak ever again.

What most people dont know is that roofing is not "waterproof", its water resistant. Even concrete tiles can pass a fair percentage of water once saturated. Even tar paper passes water at some point when its been on a roof for a while.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #40

Quote:
It can become an "escape" mixed with the adrenaline rush of the occasional crises and the inspired feeling that you are really accomplishing something due to all the furor
Ahh the memories ... problem I had was after every "emergency" and the atta-boys were passed out, I ask myself "for what?". The pay was still the same with or without the panic.

Not to mention 3/4's of all engineering is tossed out or shelved for later use (at which time it becomes obsolete).