Can dramatically increase lifestyle (money goes farther) 43 62.32%
Climate 18 26.09%
Spouse or other family ties 5 7.25%
Other (describe in comments) 4 5.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

DangerMouse,

Pakistan...cool. I'm thinking of traveling there for trekking (sorry, can't we just call it hiking?), based on my talks with a good friend who has trekked the north five times, each time using the same guide, and who is available for me to hire as well. My friend is female, and was stationed in Afghanistan and Tajikistan and vacationed in northern Pakistan. What was your Pakistan experience? Also, anyone out there with feedback on Uzbekistan? I hope to travel there soon with a Turkish friend who was born in Uzbekistan, and wants to go to visit his sisters. I know very few Americans who have ventured to these sort of locales.

Thanks, Tom

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:39 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We leave for PV MX in October. First time driving. Leaving the car there.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintucson View Post
DangerMouse,

Pakistan...cool. I'm thinking of traveling there for trekking (sorry, can't we just call it hiking?), based on my talks with a good friend who has trekked the north five times, each time using the same guide, and who is available for me to hire as well. My friend is female, and was stationed in Afghanistan and Tajikistan and vacationed in northern Pakistan. What was your Pakistan experience? Also, anyone out there with feedback on Uzbekistan? I hope to travel there soon with a Turkish friend who was born in Uzbekistan, and wants to go to visit his sisters. I know very few Americans who have ventured to these sort of locales.

Thanks, Tom
Sorry, but if you are looking for someone to say it was a fabulous place you are asking the wrong person. I found Pakistan to be the biggest shithole on earth with absolutely no redeeming features. Please remember this is just my opinion so it doesn't make it a fact. Normally even if a place is awful, often the people make it better, but I would have to say that Pakistan is not one of those places. The majority of men were sexist pigs who believed everything they had ever heard about white women being cheap sluts and the uneducated masses made it impossible to get anything done. It's one of those places that I would be happy to never set foot in again. India on the other hand was a totally different story and I thought it was a fabulous country.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I chose "cultural emersion" and "climate." I think that's the biggest difference between just a tourist vs. a PT. When you live in a place (or are there for at least a few weeks) things present themselves in a different light.

I recently began using facebook to keep in touch with people I meet on my travels. It doesn't require constant maintenance, and at a glance you can easily see where everyone is, without divulging too much information. It also makes it easy to send a quick note or a photo (without needing to keep their email addresses). It's worked out really well.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Sorry, but if you are looking for someone to say it was a fabulous place you are asking the wrong person. I found Pakistan to be the biggest shithole on earth with absolutely no redeeming features.
Wow, that's brutal and to the point! Don't suppose you'd be interested in a public relations job with the Texas Chamber of Commerce?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wow, that's brutal and to the point! Don't suppose you'd be interested in a public relations job with the Texas Chamber of Commerce?
I think it would be fair to say that when it comes to soft and mushy I kind of missed out on being given those qualities. I've never been one to understand or tolerate all this politically-correct BS which prevents people from saying how it is.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I found Pakistan to be the biggest shithole on earth with absolutely no redeeming features.
So, how do you really feel about Pakistan?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #28

I read and answered the question just as it was stated, and along with Chinaco’s introduction: What do you believe is the major reason people FIRE or retire and become an expat.

I selected Can dramatically increase lifestyle (money goes farther)
And Climate in that order, because, in my experience, these are the reasons that are given to me over and over by Expats. They are able to get more for their money, and when one lives in the northern climes of Canada or the US, climate plays a big part in their decision making. Many do not want to grow old in frozen climates, battling snow and ice. They want to have the freedom to walk around during winter months unencumbered by mountains of clothing, and without the fear of falling on the ice. They no longer want to rake leaves or shovel snow.

Although I do hear about ‘how nice these people are’ in many of the countries we live, generally, it is not on the top of anyone’s list. It usually comes later on in the conversation. That being said - in respect to immersing into the culture or not - many expats aggressively bring their home culture to their new location.

For myself, I would put Cultural emersion and adventure at the top of the list with the other reasons following.

Doing the most simple things like shopping for food or taking a walk can become a small adventure. Learning a new language can be a challenge and sharing one’s skills or viewpoint can change personal worlds. This is most rewarding. The give and take between cultures adds such flavor and changes our perceptions. The flexibility it requires keeps us alive and young.

Florida:
Quote:
Question for Thailand travelers
Quote:
What airline and route did you use to travel to Bangkok? Purchasing a one way or round trip ticket? Approximate costs?
We use EVA airlines PHX-LAX to Taipei to BKK then Thai airways to Chiang Mai. We have always purchased RT tickets, with a year’s available return date. When we first started going to Thailand in 1999, it cost us around $800 USD+ pp, now it’s more like $1,200USD per person.

We fly Deluxe Coach which is very close to business class style.

Our agent is a ticket consolidator and gets good value on tickets that haven’t yet sold on flights. If anyone wants her number, just email us directly at our email address TheGuide@RetireEarlyLifestyle.com.

Kcowan, we’re in Chapala now… how long will you be staying in PV?
Akaisha

Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement
Old 09-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #29

I'm sure many on this site are familiar with the TerHorsts and their lifestyle (which has included time in Thailand, which seems to be an area of interest in some of the posts.)

In the unlikely event you're not familiar with them and are interested in the ex-pat/perpetual traveler lifestyle, this site is a "must read":

Paul Terhorst Home Page
Old 09-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Duh, I'm not sure what I've voted for, but I am FIRE and have a itch to retire overseas, but instead "scratch" it by just traveling there (Latin America) frequently. There are other nice things you can do in ER, for example be a 46-yo man (me) studying Spanish at the university, surrounded by young ladies (love those liberal arts classes), and in one class I am allowed to do the term paper on the retirement opportunities in Panama or other nearby country
Old 09-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida View Post
What airline and route did you use to travel to Bangkok?
I fly EVA Air across the Pacific. Seat comfort is a huge factor for me when traveling long distances. EVA has a 4th class on their jumbos, positioned between economy and business. The details vary by type of plane, but typically the seat is 3" wider and 8" farther apart then in coach.

All their trans pacific flights go through Taipei, so there is a several hour layover. I consider this a plus. I stow my carry-on in a locker and go for an hour walk. I usually exercise first thing in the morning at home, I think the walk helps reset the biological clock.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #32

Quote:
I fly EVA Air across the Pacific. Seat comfort is a huge factor for me when traveling long distances. EVA has a 4th class on their jumbos, positioned between economy and business.
I've flown EVA Air Deluxe Economy before and it is quite spacious and nice. If their price is competitive when you are flying, I recommend them. Of course, business class on Singapore Air is my usual, and (aside from first class) that can't be beat!